main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Does anyone actually prefer the PT over the ST?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Thomo93, Jan 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015
    I love the OT, but over the years the more extreme OT fans have hampered my enjoyment of it, but i still like all 6 films.

2. AprilMayJune

AprilMayJune Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2015
    I love this! Perfect.

-NaTaLie- likes this.
  3. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I like the PT better than TFA
    There are somethings in PT I don't like, but I don't like TFA.
    To me the characters in PT were more interesting.
    Padme, Obi-wan, Dooku, Captain Panaka, Naberrie family etc
    The PT era is more interesting.
    I like the PT scenery and soundtrack better.
    Naboo and Coruscant
    Dual of fates

The PT story was more interesting. I was bored of TFA.

4. CaptainSuchandSuch

CaptainSuchandSuch Jedi Master star 2

Dec 8, 2015
    I agree with this. Seeing some of the extremists put it on such an untouchable pedestal and cast bitterness and sourness against everything else can put a damper on the OT for me at times. I try to just ignore the internet and remember what delighted me about them originally.

Anyway, to answer the OP's question, I guess I would overall rank the OT above the PT, but I don't have a, shall we say, particular "agenda" by which I choose one trilogy over the other. Mostly I just rank what I thought was good/great in the movies individually.

My personal ranking: The Empire Strikes Back > A New Hope > Revenge of the Sith > The Phantom Menace > Return of the Jedi > Attack of the Clones.

It's hard for me to rank The Force Awakens right now because it feels like it carries such a different vision of what kind of movie it's trying to be compared to the first six. But I'm pretty sure I'll never rank it in the top 3.

TLR115, sizziano, Deliveranze and 4 others like this.
  5. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    I honestly feel bad for anyone who has trouble enjoying any film just because of what other people think about it... or what people on the internet say about it.

6. CaptainSuchandSuch

CaptainSuchandSuch Jedi Master star 2

Dec 8, 2015
    You do make a fair criticism, and this is an issue I need to work on. I'll say that I definitely don't think anything less of the originals, but being exposed to so much negativity and stigma can be carried with me into a viewing experience, especially as things in the movie remind me of it. This Prequel Trilogy forum is one of the most civil and respectful internet forums I've ever been to, and that's also a reason I've started posting here.

I actually used to be more of a typical "the original trilogy is on a pedestal and the prequels are just okay films" type of person, mostly because I think I tried to take what other people observed about them too much into consideration. Of course, in my efforts to try to be consistent, I think the excess criticism towards the prequels started to rub off on my viewing experience of the originals as well, and I started look too much for faults in those movies as well. Then I started to realize that I was just taking the fun out of all of them by doing this. I've changed my mindset since then and decided to just go with what I naturally think. As of now, I consider both trilogies to be in about the same ballpark of quality.

7. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    to be honest the constant bashing of the prequels has taken an effect on me. I loved TPM . the first six months or year afterward it was great. i wasn't online so whatever bashing there was there i didn't see. by the time ATOC came out it was different. TPM was getting hate, and it wasn't as fun of an experience. over the last few years as they continue to get bashed online and even in the media (just two nights ago jimmy kimmel brought up star wars OT and added 'the good ones') i've gotten little by little almost the feeling i don't want to hear about star wars anymore. they've taken what was the best part of my childhood and something i loved, and everyone seemed to love, and made it something i dread to hear about.

8. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Haha, yes.

There is no ST yet, as has been pointed out, but it's definitely TPM >>>>>>>> TFA for me. No competition.

Deliveranze and Thomo93 like this.
  9. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    It has been pointed out that the OP was actually referring to the OT when they said ST, not the incomplete third trilogy.

They both have their strengths independent of each other. I do watch the PT more, there is more attention to detail crammed in (by no means just regarding the visuals) but the OT are better executed I think.

Thomo93 likes this.
  10. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I wonder if people here have been reading all of the original post... I think it is clear from his explanation he means 'OT' when he says 'ST.'
    ---------

well guilty as charged,

in that case...equal.

there are great....and not so great movies in both trilogies.

Thomo93 likes this.
  11. haterofnone

haterofnone Jedi Padawan

Dec 21, 2015
    You have a clip of Kimmel saying that?

12. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Not handy. it was during his interview with Cate Blanchett. He mentioned they'd seen each other at the TFA premiere and he asked if she liked it and then he said that about the OT/PT

actually it's on his youtube page yes. "the old--good ones"

Thomo93 likes this.
  13. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015

Mots people, especially younger ones, can be easily influenced. I was also on the tip to reject both The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones from my Star Wars lore, after hearing so much negativity from the prequels, before coming here. During my viewing experience of all the Star Wars movies, after having not watched any of them for years, my personal experience of these movies has confirmed that most critics against these movies are grotesquely exaggerated.

But I don't think you can blame people for letting themselves being influenced by a so-called "majority" or a vocal group. It's psychological, most people want to feel themselves secure and not be left aside by others, so they will comply with. I remember having watched documentaries regarding this and it made me think about it. This video perfectly demonstrates what I'm trying to get at:

14. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i like all sw equally and i don't understand why some people don't.

15. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

Nice vid. May have to re-use it.

In answer to the question, I prefer the PT over all other trilogies.

The first and only time a filmmaker/storyteller/mythologist/anthropologist/psychologist/historian/architect/businessman has been able to fully express themselves in the blockbuster medium, push the technological and aesthetic envelope, and subvert the pre-eminent cine-mythic folk lore of our age.

Lucas made a visually extraordinary, lavish, layered, challenging, fun, moody, comedic, eccentric, plush, lacquered, surreal, immersive, and endlessly compelling heterodoxical backstory; which is actually the fore-story. A mural of moods, a tapestry of sensations: a tragicomic sonnet loaded with paradox.

The six films heartily comprise an exquisite mandala diligently structured and dripping in meaning; and also bereft of any. Playful, absurd, weird. Unique.

16. Evetssteve10

Evetssteve10 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 21, 2015

What is your definition of creativity?

17. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Yeahs let's compare one film in a not yet completed ST to a full PT trilogy.

That's a fair comparison.

This thread is a joke right?

18. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    I'm guessing it has something to do with originality, and definitely not stealing another film's plot wholesale.

darskpine10 and Cryogenic like this.
  19. Mindless Monster

Mindless Monster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 4, 2014
    I grew up with the OT and was enamored with it, and then the PT revealed to me a more interesting and thought-provoking version of Star Wars. So, honestly, it made the OT obsolete.

TLR115 and darskpine10 like this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Hidden Fortress?

21. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015
    So... one of these threads again? Shouldn't it be combined with all the other threads asking the same basic thing?

ST > PT btw (so far, but like other said, two more yet to come)

22. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Actually there is an absolute TON of practical effects that the OT can't match because they couldn't do it then (and so didn't try) and the ST never will simply because they really can do it "all-CGI" now (meaning all the thing that simply couldn't be done CGI can now be) so Mustafar, Kamino, Naboo, Coruscant et al wouldn't need all the models and miniatures to make them now. Much like TPM used tons of models for vehicles but was mostly replaced by CGI for AOTC and ROTS.

Not that it should really matter what way anything is done as what is on the screen is what counts.

It's really now just a question of what they want to do. TFA was obviously the most unambitious Star Wars movie so far which is what was expected so they didn't have to worry about it much either way with practical effects or CGI to create environments hence all the basic green or white foresty planets with little distinction.

This is why in the spoilers we were wondering it Maz's castle and the Resistance were on the same planet because it seemed to be the same place.

darskpine10 likes this.
  23. SexyRey

SexyRey Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 23, 2015
    Great post! But can you please elaborate more on the "feminine" thing you were talking about?

xezene likes this.
  24. Evetssteve10

Evetssteve10 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 21, 2015

you need to read a book or watch a couple more movies if you think Star Wars is an original story

seventhbeacon likes this.
  25. jimkenobi

jimkenobi Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 19, 2014
    From a certain point of view, the Greeks have already told every story there is to tell. What matters in modern narrative art, then, is not true "originality" in its purest form. Love, honor, betrayal, revenge, hope, redemption, etc., as dramatic concepts, have been around since the dawn of time. What truly defines originality, then, in modern storytelling, is a question of form, of allusion, and of intent. It's the recalibration and refitting of ideas and archetypes and histories and motifs and belief systems, spanning time and place, and crafting something that, in its finished form, has never existed before.

Taking this view, "STAR WARS" (1977) is almost certainly the most original work of cinematic art in the last 50 years, if not longer. Taking the long view of film history, it is one of the few handful of true seismic shifts in the history of the art, up there with the advent of sound and color. The film virtually created a genre unto itself, and has spawned literally hundreds upon hundreds of imitators, which are still being made to this day.

There are many ways to defend TFA, if one feels so inclined. But this back-handed way of calling SW (ANH) unoriginal, in order to defend TFA's own shortcomings in the originality department, is just.....where do I begin....

Han, old buddy, don't let me down......

[​IMG]

Mnhay27 and Qui-Riv-Brid like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.