main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Does anyone actually prefer the PT over the ST?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Thomo93, Jan 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evetssteve10

Evetssteve10 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 21, 2015

you missed the point entirely. I am simply saying you cannot call TFA "unoriginal" because of its broadest plot points. The same way you can't call Star Wars unoriginal because of its most basic plot points. I'm saying they are both original in their execution of the material.

2. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    After TFA I'm barely interested in future Star Wars films, so yes, I prefer the PT.

Thomo93 and SatineNaberrie like this.
  3. Evening Star

Evening Star Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Can you explain this a bit more? I'm curious :)
    I prefer the PT too, but I'm still interested in what will happen next (well, at least to Luke and maybe Kylo Ren).

Thomo93 likes this.
  4. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Not much to explain other than the film didn't do much to capture my attention in any meaningful way. To me the characters and story weren't all that interesting, the world-building dull and unimaginative, and even the action set pieces weren't anything that memorable. I did get some nostalgic value out of seeing the old cast and hearing the old music cues again, but I can't say I'm dying to know what happens next.

TLR115 and oierem like this.
  5. jimkenobi

jimkenobi Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 19, 2014
    Evetssteve10, no I'm afraid I did not miss the point. Your supposition appears to be that the "basic plot points" of SW (ANH) and TFA are both equally derivative. I disagree whole-heartedly. But, as this is veering off-topic, I suggest we agree to disagree, or you can PM me if you wish to discuss further.

6. Evening Star

Dec 18, 2015
    Well, I agree with you on everything. Still, I think Rian Johnson might do a better job.

TLR115 likes this.
  7. Evetssteve10

Sep 21, 2015

I was talking about Star Wars, in general. Obviously ANH is more ground breaking as it sets up the universe. TFA is a sequel.

8. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Never seen any of the Disney movies and never will. The Clone War era is my favorite era of Star Wars, then comes the Rebellion era. Thats it. PT > OT > everything else.

9. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    What makes it even odder is that now even ANH is being looked at sideways!

I mean if there was ANY Star Wars movie you would not possibly think would be set upon it would be it.

The scenario where ANH is being questioned as to it's originality by some to protect TFA is bizarre to say the least!

Of course it is.

I don't even see why this is a question.

What is even more brilliant on Lucas' part is how he was able to himself take his own story and rework so many elements of it in all aspects into both ROTJ and TPM.

Then even more amazing do his own "remake" of ANH and make it into ROTS.

Now THAT is the way to "remake" a movie!

One is about the son becoming a hero the other about the father becoming a villain.

ANH and ROTS are his true masterworks.

I like TFA but it's not ANH or ROTS.

Ezon Pin, jimkenobi and Evening Star like this.
  10. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    Just reading this thread title reminds me of the saying "This is why we can't have nice things"

jimmycrank likes this.
  11. Evetssteve10

Sep 21, 2015

K. You're right. ESB,ROTJ,TPM,AOTC,ROTS don't ape Star Wars. Except the difference is ESB, ROTJ and TFA did it well.

12. Evetssteve10

Sep 21, 2015

RJ might do a better job at what? Hey remember when things like filmmaking were taken into account in reviews? Seriously what happened to our culture? When you actually break down TFA and look at the writing, cinematography, acting, directing, dialogue etc it's masterclass filmmaking in the highest degree. Remember when we looked at a films quality? And actually discussed these things?

13. Evening Star

Dec 18, 2015
    Better job at everything. Btw, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Chaplin are examples of masterclass filmmaking. It's unthinkable to use the same expression for Abrams.

14. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    I much prefer the PT over the ST. I can't even remember anything about Episode VIII or IX.

Thomo93 and Defensor like this.
  15. Jeditecoita

Jeditecoita Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2015
    It nice too see that some people appreciate the PT and interesting that most of these people were children when TPM was released which kind of mirors the reason most of the 30+, like me, prefer the OT. I really believe that the emotional attachment revolves greatly around the fact that Star Wars takes us back to our childhood. For that reason the OT will always be my favorite and although the acting and CGI take me out of the movies, i do enjoy the PT overall. As for the ST we still have 2 movies to go. I enjoyed TFA although due to having such high expectations i believe all Star wars movies will always leave me with mixed feelings.

Thomo93 likes this.
  16. lotusflow3r

lotusflow3r Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2014
    A thing that I loved with the PT is that it was "something totally different with more of the same". It's the same universe as the OT, there are strong convergences, and at the same time it's a whole new universe: we meet characters that have little in common wiuth the OT's characters, and we get to see a side of the universe that was entirely absent in the OT. So far and after seeing it only once, my impression of The Force Awakens is that it's just "more of the same" and that was a great disappointment to me (I liked it, though, but there was zero element of surprise). Maybe TFA pleases more because it's just more of the same, as lots of people were obviously disturbed by the PT's differences with the OT. I felt those differences made the whole saga richer in content and themes.

TLR115, Thomo93, Defensor and 4 others like this.
  17. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Well if you think they were merely done well that is up to you of course.

I would agree TFA was done well while the other films were brilliant.

CIS Droid and jimkenobi like this.
  18. CaptainSuchandSuch

CaptainSuchandSuch Jedi Master star 2

Dec 8, 2015
    It's not master class at any of those things.

TLR115, Defensor, CIS Droid and 3 others like this.
  19. jimkenobi

jimkenobi Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 19, 2014
    Again, not to beat a dead horse, but the idea that TFA and, say, TESB equally "ape" SW: ANH is just demonstratively false. In many, many ways (one among them being its bold departure, both narratively and stylistically, from SW), TESB is the polar opposite of TFA, in terms of how to create a sequel to the original.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Defensor and CaptainSuchandSuch like this.
  20. Evetssteve10

Sep 21, 2015

Oh well since you said so. Fortunately for me I have a lot more support in that regard than you do

21. CaptainSuchandSuch

CaptainSuchandSuch Jedi Master star 2

Dec 8, 2015
    If you say so.

TLR115, CIS Droid and darskpine10 like this.
  22. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015

TESB is still easily the most original film in the entire series in many ways.

23. Sith_Smuggler

Sith_Smuggler Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2016

This. I mean, how does one judge two different trilogies...when one trilogy is still missing two movies? Whaaa?

However for the sake of replying, I will judge the first movies of all the trilogies!

ANH/TFA > TPM

I've only seen TFA once, but I liked it well enough - though it brought nothing new to the series like the Prequels did, and is pretty much an updated retelling of ANH in my opinion. Still, it was fun and enjoyable. TPM, I must admit, I have problems with, yet I really like some parts of it and overall I like the movie. Still, both TPM and RotJ are my least favorite films of the entire franchise, with RotJ as dead last. (Though I still give both 7/10).

Meh. I'm still waiting to see if any upcoming SW movie in the ST can top both my favorite and second favorite, RotS and ESB.

Till then I suppose...

24. JediRocks74

JediRocks74 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 7, 2015
    People love bashing the PT, but I loved those movies. Long live Jar Jar Binks!

CIS Droid likes this.
  25. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Thank you! I will offer two things for you to take a look at in regards to the decline of the feminine in the prequel trilogy. Certainly it is a theme of the prequels, and its absence is evident in ANH. ESB and ROTJ begin to bring things into balance again with the rise of the feminine. As a side note, it only makes sense that the protagonist of Ep. 7 would be a woman. This is in keeping with the thematic direction of the story.

Here are some excerpts to consider. The first is excerpted from a great essay by LazyPadawan called "The Perils of Padme," while the second (in the next post) is taken from the essay "The Shroud of the Dark Side" by D. Trull.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.