main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Does anyone else actually like Anakin's "NOOOO" added in ROTJ?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Feb 8, 2014.

1. ElanMars

ElanMars Jedi Master star 1

Dec 14, 2000
    That NOOOOO in ROTS was awful by itself-midnight opening, there was MUCH laughter during that scene from the crowd. I don't care how adding it to ROTJ makes it an "echo" or how it's poetic, it is silly and takes away from a powerful moment. You don't need to be told, you are SHOWN. Less is more.

As for other changes, there's a reason I pretty much only watch the original versions (Harmy's Despecialized) or if I watch a special edition, I stick with AdyWan's, I consider that the full special edition and not the half-done one...even though he left those cg aliens in the cantina...I got the bluray set for very cheap mostly for the deleted scenes. Seeing the original trilogy in it's special edition, George Lucas' preferred form, just...no. No. So glad he can now be kept away from tinkering further, let's leave it at that.

CG Jabba in ANH is horrid. Greedo shooting first, Greedo/Han shooting at the same time...STOP IT. The two stupid cg aliens replacing Lak Sivrak and the Defel, I much prefer the "wolfmen". Jedi rocks, yuck, prefer the original all the way. I always thought the sarlacc pit was more horrific being just a hole with teeth and tentacles, than a Little Shop of Horrors monster on the ground...but that's just me. Didn't need to see more of the Wampa. Didn't need to see Vader arriving on Executor and having his lines changed-I thought it was more to the point and menacing when he just says "bring me my shuttle".

And I know the changed ROTJ ending ties all the movies together better, but....I still totally prefer YUB NUB....

TX-20 and Heero_Yuy like this.
  2. Bagliun Edar

Bagliun Edar Jedi Knight star 1

May 3, 2014
    "Does anyone else actually like Anakin's "NOOOO" added in ROTJ?"

I don't.

3. Jake Prosser

Jake Prosser Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2014
    It doesn't ruin the scene for me. I don't hate it.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  4. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    So you would have been happy to take the original NOOOO! away from Empire which started it all in the first place?

After all it's silly and takes away from a powerful moment.

Doesn't it?

Andy Wylde likes this.
  5. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013

The difference between the "NOOO" added in ROTJ and those found in ESB, ROTS, and TPM is that those used in previous films have been done to show the utter powerlessness of a trapped character. I don't particularly like the usage of the big "NOOO" but until it was stuffed into ROTJ it had at least been used consistently.

In the Phantom Menace Obi Wan is literally trapped in the power shield corridor thing as Qui Gon is killed, there was nothing he could do to help. He was trapped and dis-empowered.
    In Revenge of the Sith Anakin is more or less literally trapped in his suit, and there is nothing he can do to help Padme. He was trapped and dis-empowered.
    In the Empire Strikes back Luke is maimed and backed into a corner, and there is nothing he can do to fight back or deny the truth that Vader is telling him. He was trapped and dis-empowered.

To set that precedent for the usage of the big "NOOO" and then just chuck it in at the end of ROTJ, in arguably the most empowering moment of the entire saga, when Vader breaks the hold that the Dark Side has on him and returns to the light, misses the point of its previous use to the point more or less of cinematic negligence.

The idea that it's there to 'make the trilogies rhyme' or whatever rubbish basically just suggests to me that with every iteration of these films released they're increasingly targeted at and lapped up by people that don't really like to think about the movies that they watch and are easily pleased by the simplest of audio/visual cues no matter how out of context they may be.

6. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I think 'Nooooooooooooooo!!!' is always a bit of a risky piece of dialogue. There's a reasonably high chance of unintentional humour being achieved - see ROTS.

I agree that the new ROTJ version does differ contextually from the others in that it's more of a "No, you're not going to do that" than an exasperated, hopeless "No, this can't be happening". This is, after all, Anakin / Vader at his least hopeless. It rhymes only on a surface level.

Darth__Lobot and Force Smuggler like this.
  7. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Have you ever thought that maybe the point is that this is the counterpoint to all of those no's of despair and now at the end this is a no that is not about powerlessness but now empowerment?

When he screamed before it was too late and he couldn't do anything for Padme now he can do something for Luke. The last time Vader was really Anakin was at that moment and now Anakin is back.

I think that is totally untrue witnessed by the discussion we are having about it.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  8. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    I hate it. I thought it was worse than Han and Greedo.

Vaders silent contemplation of what was going on was one of the best things about that scene. By adding the NO before Vader actually acts gives away what is going to come next. By keeping Vader silent, right up til the point he grabs Palpatine, keeps the audience guessing even just a little as to what Vader will do.

Darth__Lobot and Sarge like this.
  9. Thegoat

Thegoat Jedi Master star 1

Jul 28, 2004
    I don't like it, but I wouldn't have thought twice about it if the movie had always been like that.

10. Carrie Walsh

Carrie Walsh Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 13, 2014

This.

Show the latest version of the OT to a complete Star Wars virgin and none of the changes are going to affect their enjoyment of the films. I don't understand what the huge deal is when it comes to Lucas altering HIS OWN movies. Especially when, for the most part, they're for the better and provide a more consistent viewing experience. This is a massive universe of detailed stories. Do you have to get so upset and obsess over the smallest things? Han shooting first (barely), while arguably pointless, does NOT alter his character (he's still Han Solo... don't over-analyze it). Having some added CGI into the background for a few seconds won't kill you, Obi-Wan's Krayt Dragon call was always ridiculous, Boba Fett hardly had any speaking lines to begin with, and Darth Vader's "Nooo" is not the end of the world.

Andy Wylde, JoshieHewls and FRAGWAGON like this.
  11. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    That's not what a counterpoint is though. Lucas ignoring how a convention has been implemented throughout the entire saga by both himself and others and using it in more or less completely the opposite way is not a counterpoint.

Inconsistency is not a counterpoint.

It's not particularly true, unless you concede that it was Anakin acting as Anakin, not Vader, who brutalised his wife, tried to kill Obi Wan and sacked the temple.

The mere existence of a discussion doesn't accord each side with validity.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  12. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Out of all the additions its probably the one thats bothered me the least, with the worst being the addition of the ROTJ outtake of Jerjerod greeting party that meet Vader in ESB as he leaves his shuttle.

13. Carrie Walsh

Carrie Walsh Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 13, 2014

What's wrong with that one?

Andy Wylde likes this.
  14. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    It really bugs me because it looks exactly like it is, a Death Star outtake from ROTJ tacked in on just to show his shuttle landing. Its like theres been no thought of the fact that Jerjerod had not apeared in the film at all, (of course the powers that be would say that he was also a commander on the Executor). But I would hazard a guess that they never even thought about it as its so fleeting a glimpse. Also I don't think we ever see a Star Destroyer landing bay in the OT at all, so I just find it disappointing that they used some off the floor footage that to me looks out of place.

Darth__Lobot, ElanMars and Sarge like this.
  15. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    I didn't hate it. The original "silent" Vader was perfect but the addition, if anything, brings that Vader closer to the ROTS version. For better or for worse. Its the least offensive edit, imho.

Andy Wylde and FRAGWAGON like this.
  16. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    The amount of expression that can be interpreted from silent, masked characters in SW (most notably Vader and 3PO) is something that I've always admired. So for me, the addition isn't that welcome, although I'd agree it's far from the most offensive change.

17. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    what do you consider the most offensive change? :p

for me this is on par with the Sebastian Shaw replaced by Hayden one.

TX-20, Sarge and Cushing's Admirer like this.
  18. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    I'm actually most bothered by things that visually jar me out of a certain time period and therefore the story. For example, CGI elements added to the Mos Eisley sequence in ANH. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of the 'Nooo' but it doesn't slap me in the face like some other things do.

19. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I think if George got to doing another edition, every scene with Vader would contain a NOOOOOOOOO. NOOOOOOOO thanks.

20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    When Luke jumps after Vader reveals that he is his father.

TrandoJedi likes this.
  21. LordThanatos

LordThanatos Jedi Padawan star 1

May 18, 2013
    Not a big fan of it, but it doesn't really bother me that much now that I think of it. The scene where Luke yells "no" is kind of awkward too.. cheesy "nooo" moments seems to be a thing in Star Wars, now. But I think George really made up for it with the Hayden force ghost change, now that's a change I LOVED.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  22. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    No. No it really doesn't. But then you know that already don't you, so why even bother to mention it at all?

> Implying that's a good thing.

Sarge likes this.
  23. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    @Heero_Guy: Whether you agree with it or not, Qui-Riv-Brid has made a legitimate comparison between those two scenes. Your 'wrong and you know it' response above isn't particularly helpful. Address the point or just leave it be.

24. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Auto "No.."

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  25. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    So how do you feel about the Star Wars outake's used on ROTJ with various Death Star scenes?

How do you feel about the use of outake's used in Star Wars to create the misimpression that the Death Star was going to destroy the rebel base?

Andy Wylde likes this.