main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Does anyone else actually like Anakin's "NOOOO" added in ROTJ?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Everyone should see the original version of the OT regardless.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My post-millennial kids have seen it. On their own initiative, because they wanted to know what was different and why the "special editions" are called "special editions".

Of course my oldest put the VHS tape in and said "Now how do I get to the menu?" but that's another story.

3. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Ah, the days of fast forwarding and rewinding...........
    Don't particularly miss those.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Pff, you kidding? Bring 'em back, I say

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Nope, me either, nor many other aspects of 80s and 90s technology.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  6. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I have seen it and I do not enjoy it like I do the Special Editions. I do think the Original un-Special Editions should be released to the general public in higher quality, however, so that people can choose their own Star Wars.

Darth Ardyti and Force Smuggler like this.
  7. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    You can like whatever version you want. No problem with that. It's just that the OOT was what began the saga that we love. To not see it even for historical sake makes no sense to me.

8. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I don't want to pay for it when I already have access to the SE films, and I don't want to spend the time watching it when I can just watch the SE versions. Maybe I'll try it eventually but it's really not on my must-see list right now. [face_dunno]

9. LongHairedAussieGuy

LongHairedAussieGuy Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2014
    I do like some of the changes made over the years, but that was hideous. It was not needed at all

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    It's out of character. You can tell he's not saying "noooo" to the possibility of Luke dying, but to the crummy addition.

Sarge and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  11. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I didn't feel like skimming this entire thread to see if I replied already, but I do not like Vader's added "No" in ROTJ. It was terrible and unneeded.

12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    So Lucas' reason for this change was to make it tie into the rest of the Saga and ROTS?
    Anakin was one of the main characters of all 6 movies and Palpatine was the main villain of all 6 movies. This was the conclusion of their relationship and Anakin makes the right choice this time. Do we really need another tie in to the other movies?
    The subtleness of the original scene was amazing. This new change feels forced.

13. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    I like the added no, it works in the scene.

14. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Did I saw best change EVER along with Anakin's Force Ghost and the Emperor yet?

If not then I just did.

Now if they had only put the dissolution of the Senate and Vader going to Coruscant and reporting the DS's destruction in IV.

15. TerranOvermind

TerranOvermind Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2004
    Personally, I feel the addition of the "Nooo!" deserves the Xerxes approach, minus the barbarism of course, burning all records of it and erasing its very existence from the annals of history. Having James Earl Jones give George Lucas a public spanking would be nice, too. :p

16. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014

No, just no. A scene with the Emperor dissolving the senate is not necessary. Tarkin gives the necessary information and anything else would be SE Jabba redundant. Do we really want more boring politics scenes in Star Wars? The Vader scene you propose would ruin the pace of the end of the film.

The original version of the scene was subtile and powerful. The abomination version added one of the worse memes to come out of ROTS and made the scene a joke.

Sarge likes this.
  17. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Did they actually get JEJ back into the studio to record that one line, or was it someone else? Or was it just something leftover from filming ROTS and they just stuck it in?

Anyway, I just watched the clip online, and I guess it wasn't quite as horrible as I thought it would be...though that's probably because what I had in mind going into it was Vader's "NOOOOOOO" scream from ROTS and nothing can top that.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't think they called JEJ back, I think it was an ROTS leftover.

19. Tarkin's Fuzzy Slippers

Tarkin's Fuzzy Slippers Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2014
    Personally not a fan of it, but like most of the changes it comes off as rather "meh", it doesn't bother me as much as the force ghost change bothers me.

20. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I do wonder where they got that

It's clearly not the ROTS no; it sounds much more panicked than in despair (and it's obvious why)

My best guess is that it's from an alternate take from ROTS, or maybe they heavily digitally altered the existing one

21. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I think it works just fine. I actually like it.

22. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I didn't like it at first, but it grew on me. I don't think the scene is ruined by an outburst of emotion from Anakin. Anakin is a passionate guy, after all.

23. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    That's the way I look at it. I was OK with Vader just being silent and then disposing of Palpatine without any fussing. But, that can be thought of as a "more machine than man" type quality. The fact that the good in Vader has been awakened and he is compelled to object to the Emperor sort of humanizes him in a way.

24. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    I was against it from a filmmaking standpoint at first, but now I would miss it if it wasn't there.

25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Gone over to the dark side, you have. =((