main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Does anyone else actually like Anakin's "NOOOO" added in ROTJ?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I've never seen that before, so I'm guessing it's a Blu-Ray addition. Bizarre.

2. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    Yep, then it disappears again in the wider shot after Artoo's emerged beside Luke and Obi-Wan. There's no reason for it to be there at all.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  3. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Why? He's absolutely right.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I had the Blu-Ray running in the background for a good part of the afternoon and my son watched the end with me.

Right as Vader looked back and forth from Luke to the Emperor, I said, "He's getting ready to say something. He is not supposed to talk here. It's better when he's quiet."

5. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    Putting a streak of spray paint across the Mona Lisa would be a better idea than adding "Noooo!" to that scene.

6. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011

The "famous" Mona Lisa is actually not the original according to some art experts, ironically:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isleworth_Mona_Lisa

Not anything concrete, but interesting regardless.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  7. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I'm always amazed when I hear fans complain about the rigid dogmatic indoctrination of the Jedi Order.

Andy Wylde and JoshieHewls like this.
  8. Rachel_In_Red

May 12, 2013
    quote] The "famous" Mona Lisa is actually not the original according to some art experts, ironically:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isleworth_Mona_Lisa

Not anything concrete, but interesting regardless. [/quote]

What is concrete is that "Noooo...!" was a bad idea. :)

9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Concrete for you. And as this very thread proves, it's not a fact.

Andy Wylde and FRAGWAGON like this.
  10. Rachel_In_Red

May 12, 2013
    Yes, it is a fact. ;)

Darth__Lobot and CT-867-5309 like this.
  11. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Keep trolling...

Andy Wylde likes this.
  12. Rachel_In_Red

May 12, 2013
    Or perhaps you should just lighten up a bit and not take my comment so seriously.

13. fuzzbox77

fuzzbox77 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2008
    Rachel_In_Red: Welcome to online fandom - everything is taken literally, too seriously and long standing views are shot down by others...

***Looks at my carded Palitoy/Kenner Yakface figure and a box of matches*** ;)

Darth__Lobot and Yanksfan like this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    But fandom is srs bsns. [face_shame_on_you]

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  15. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    It was just tacky. I really didn't understand what purpose it served. You can see the conflict on Darth Vader's face, er mask as the Emperor is frying his son to death right in front of him. The way the lightning is reflecting off of Vader's face as he helplessly looks between Palpatine and Luke really portrays the conflict that Vader is feeling. His silent sacrifice was the highlight of that scene for me...and it's just silly to ruin it by having Darth Vader wailing exactly the same way when he realized that Padme had died. Besides, you already have Palpatine screaming in fear as he is thrown down that reactor shaft. Honestly, what's the point of adding that "Noooooo" in?

16. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    I suppose I can take solace in the fact that I will never own a dedicated Blu-Ray player (May or may not break down and buy a Playstation and some unspecified point in the future, but that's another story.) It was a pointless addition, and I dislike out of respect for how I first saw RotJ, but I think the amount of hate shown here is a little extreme. It's definitely one of the worse changes in RotJ, but it's minimal in comparison to the changes of the entire trilogy. Don't get me wrong, a lot of the changes, especially the Battle of Yavin, make the experience better for me, but there a lot of ones that just make you wonder what in the world Lucas was thinking.

17. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    He's a dying Cyborg in the Space Robot movie.

It's the opposite of SRS BSNS.

18. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    It just breaks the basic rule of storytelling. "Show don't tell" or in this case "Show instead of screaming the obvious to the audience."

19. WAC-47

WAC-47 Jedi Youngling

Feb 8, 2014
    He should have yelled "I will now fulfill my destiny!"

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "Your destiny was to shut the **** up and throw the old man's ass down the reactor!"

I love yelling at my TV.

21. fuzzbox77

fuzzbox77 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2008
    Buying quality toilet paper is serious business just like altering a classic scene embedded in popular culture and fandom. One addition of a sheet or a mis-fold of that paper means your fingers can slip, go through and ruin something with unpleasant results.

Fandom is "srs bsns". Sometimes too serious and too intense. I'm a hardcore fan and I have taken it very seriously for three decades and even through the quiet years when nobody else cared and it wasn't cool to like SW (1985-1996). But I know when it's time to log off, spark a smoke/have a beer/step away from the merchandise and just think - 3 movies, without those three original unaltered movies anything else with a SW logo attached wouldn't mean a damn thing.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  22. May_The_Force_Be_With_You

May_The_Force_Be_With_You Jedi Master star 1

Jan 21, 2014
    Not in any way, shape, or form. Terrible addition.

Although, I am generally curious as to why Lucas added it. I wonder if there is a commentary and on that scene he explains his rationale (if there is one) behind inserting that into the scene.

23. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013

I actually popped on the ROTJ directors commentary the other day - for the bluray release it is the same as that recorded for what I believe were the 04 DVD editions - they make reference to ROTS as not having come out yet.

Basically none of the participants say anything on the issue because it didn't exist at the time that the commentary was put together.

24. May_The_Force_Be_With_You

May_The_Force_Be_With_You Jedi Master star 1

Jan 21, 2014
    Really? So they used the commentary for the old stuff? Sheesh. I guess we'll never get an answer to why he added that.

Thanks, though!

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  25. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    He obviously added it as a reference to RotS. I believe Matthew Wood also said as much.

Andy Wylde likes this.