main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NYC, NY does anyone else besides me hate star trek?

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by darthspino, Aug 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthspino

darthspino Tucson FF Founding Member star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Im new to the nyc fanforce{im from Tucson Az}and i was wondering,does every Star Wars fan hate star trek like i do?I feel as a Star Wars fan its my nature to hate star trek as weird as it sounds.Can any body tell me if they hate star trek or not?

2. Cailinn-Sarr

Cailinn-Sarr Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 23, 2001
    Sorry dude,I'm a die-hard Star Wars fan(been one since first seeing it in '77)but I have to say that I love Star Trek also,just like Bab'5 & so many other sci-fi shows that are great.

3. LadySith

LadySith Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2000
    I really enjoy the classic Trek series even with Bill S overacting. I liked the Next Generation and Deep Space Nine when I could catch them Q being my favorite character.
    I never developed interest in Voyager.

4. ObiWill

ObiWill Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2001
    While I am a Star Wars fanatic, I am also a fan of science fiction in all forms, especially the novels of Arthur C. Clarke and Robert Heinlein. I've only been a SW junkie since the Special Edition hit theaters in '97; before that, I was a Trekker. Though I'm not a Trek die-hard anymore, I still enjoy it, and am looking forward to the new series 'Enterprise.'

I love classic 'Trek' for its campiness. Capt. Kirk beams down with two redshirted ensigns:
    Kirk: Ensign Smith, you go kill the corpuscle-sucking monster. Ensign Jones, go investigate those mysterious spores. I'll go hit on the High Priestess.

TNG was great, but took a while to get there (remember Tasha Yar telling Wesley "drugs are bad, m'kay"). DS9 was my favorite of the Treks, though I never cared for Avery Brooks' vein-popping overacting.

DarthSpino, since you seem to love Star Wars and hate 'Trek' so much, you might want to check out Babylon 5. It's the Star Wars of tv. (Despite what you may have heard, B5 is not a spin-off of Star Trek). It's a five-season show with a continous five year story arc (almost like a soap opera.. LOL). B5 is a true saga, with intergalactic war, prophecy, death, love, humor, and better-designed aliens (unlike Trek's which were Forehead-Of-The-Month Club). Sci-Fi Channel shows it at 7 pm weeknights, and they should be starting up the season 1 reruns again today.

5. Cailinn-Sarr

Jul 23, 2001
    Have to agree with ObiWill,B5 rocks.

6. jandimin

jandimin Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 23, 2000
    i don't even understand why there should be "rivalry" between the two things. i loved the classic trek growing up and some of the movies were pretty cool, i never got into the other trek shows ....but trek and wars are completly different things, i just get annoyed that people think you can't like one because you like the other.

7. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    Just remember we are not here to Bash Star Trek or any other Scifi.

I personally do not care for much other than Star Wars.

8. spell

spell TFN Technical Staff star 1 VIP

May 27, 2001
    Hell, I love Star Trek too! (but not as much as Star Wars)

KKKKaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!

9. darthspino

darthspino Tucson FF Founding Member star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    sorry everyone but i still dont like star trek but i respect your decisions about liking star trek.But i know you will all agree with me on this one NOTHING COMPARES TO STAR WARS!!! :)

10. Darth Venom

Darth Venom Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 1999
    Here's my 2 cents.

I've never really been big into Star Trek. To me it always seemed to "idealist" for my tastes. Whereas Star Wars is what I consider to be "realist" sci-fi. Examples of what I mean are:

Star Trek
    No one uses money! (yeah, like that would ever happen) :)

United Federation of Planets (we can't even figure out how to make the U.N. work properly, Unite planets? sure that'll happen)

Sworn enemies suddenly become friends (ummhmm, and the soviets don't still have nukes pointed at us, I've also got a bridge in brooklyn for sale)

All of this equals Idealist sci-fi

now Star Wars

Money is still necessary
    Federations are based on commerce and trade
    enemies stay enemies
    predjudice exists
    discrimination exists
    good guys can do less than honorable things (anyone ever wonder about the "honor" of 2 jedi attacking 1 sith?)

All of this equals Realist sci-fi

Anyway, I've rambled long enough. In a nut shell Star Wars rules and Star Trek is....ok.

11. madmax

madmax Jedi Grand Master star 1

Nov 29, 2000
    Bangs head up against the screen

Why must a sith flinging contest popup?

Considering I was into ST before SW, I would consider myself a fan a both, and I'm looking forward to the roungh and tumble pre-fed days in Enterprise.

12. Cailinn-Sarr

Jul 23, 2001
    I too am also looking foward to the seris"Enterprise",but seeing as this is a STAR WARS site I think we should stick to SW,that's just my opinion.Later.

13. LadySith

Dec 5, 2000
    I don't see a Sith flinging contest here, and a very good point was brought up. There are Trek fans out there who hate Star Wars and visa versa, and there are fans of each series that say if you like one you should not/cannot like the other. THAT is as silly as the Star Wars fans who got pissed at the Titanic fans when TPM did not topple the box office records.

I am a Star Wars fan who liked Star Trek since before there WAS a Star Wars. I think By "Sith Flinging" you refer to Venom pointing out what he dislikes about Trek? If that's so, I respectfully disagree. It is not often that someone gives several valid reasons for disliking a movie or TV show. Normally, you get a two word response that rhymes with 'fit ducks' :)

Honestly, I think both Trek and Wars have their share of valuable lessons and idealistic rhetoric.

It is no more absurd to hope that we will one day become smart enough to realize the color of one's skin is no judge of a person's (or a Klingon's) character than it is to believe that we can move a mountain (or X-wing with our minds) The point of these things which are written into these tales we love is to provide entertainment with value. I am sure it is written in hopes that a little girl watching (or a grown woman) might offer a hand in friendship to the new student (or co-worker) or that the little boy who feels there is no way they can pass the final exam (or the adult who thinks they can never get that promotion) gives it their best shot.

Idealistic rhetoric yes. racial harmony, peace, and belief in ones own abilities when it most counts is always difficult to achieve. I believe things like Trek and Wars package excellent life lessons in ways that are enjoyable for us to watch. They may be over the top, but I know there have been times when I have stopped and reconsidered an incident that may have just happened in my life because one of the lessons in these films addressed that very situation. It may not have changed the outcome, but it did make me stop and think about how I acted and what I could have done-or could still do-differently. :)

14. Darth Venom

Jun 6, 1999
    LadySith, thanks for the kind words :)

MadMax, I'm truely sorry you feel that way, but hey...get over it. If you don't want to hear why someone likes or dislikes ST then I would suggest not reading threads titled "does anyone else besides me hate star trek?"

In my post I wasn't having a "sith flinging" contest, as you so eloquently put it, rather I was trying to explain the differences between the SW and ST universes and why, based on those differences, I prefer SW over ST.

The reality is that SW fans have opinions about other things besides just the title of Ep.II, and most of us have opinions about other scifi programs as well.

These boards are designed for us SW fans to share our ideas, opinions, and questions with other SW fans. The minute they start becoming the domain of the "let's not cause any waves" police then they cease to serve their primary function.

On another note, I would suggest actually posting here once in a while or starting your own topics before trying to swoop in and ridicule others for expressing themselves.

P.S. I don't give a damn about the ORIGINAL boards either.

15. jandimin

Nov 23, 2000
    i just don't get what liking one has to do with liking/disliking the other. why compare them at all? either it appeals to you or it doesn't, the same could be said about other shows, art or whatever. depending on your own tastes and experiences different things will appeal to different people, it's like saying you love cats but hate dogs, therefore cats are better, of course i have cats, dogs, lizards and chinchillas. ok so i'm not as eloquent as ladysith ;), i just think this is all pretty silly (unlike the new title controversy- which was VERY serious).

16. LadySith

Dec 5, 2000
    At this point I step in and remind all our members:

We may not all like the same movies.
    We may not all like the same foods.
    We definitely do not share the same theological views.
    We are all different.
    We are all unique.
    We all LOVE Star Wars.

Peace, Love and Thermal Detonators! :)

17. madmax

Nov 29, 2000
    When I see the following:

"does anyone else besides me hate star trek? "

"I feel as a Star Wars fan its my nature to hate star trek as weird as it sounds"

Venom, What is one supposed to think? This has been an age old debate since the days of BBs's and when Usenet was just a college thang 20 years ago and really did not want to see this pop up here. This is not the place.

I think your confusion lies in the fact that my post came after yours and took this as a reply to you and not the original poster

And even if I did respond to you, here is my original post:

"Bangs head up against the screen

Why must a sith flinging contest popup?

Considering I was into ST before SW, I would consider myself a fan a both, and I'm looking forward to the
    roungh and tumble pre-fed days in Enterprise."

What exactly did you take offense to? Where is the ridicule? Of not wanting a conflict? Aside from saying that I'm a fan of both I'm a bit at a loss.

As far as my posting status, who are you to judge? Whether I lurk or post is my own right, when I feel there is something interersting I jump in, simple. As you said before, everyone had an opinion, maybe you should follow you own advice and get over it.

Sorry folks but I had to get that off my chest. I apologize all others

18. MysterySith

Nov 17, 2000
    considering this post was created by a 14 year old kid, what do you expect. People can hate what they want, but there is no need to carry on a trivial debate like this here. We all Love Star Wars and some of us love/like Star Trek too, nothing wrong with that.

I personally do not care for Trek and get annoyed with the hate thing though. I do like to get is to a friendly debate on which is better, but it is all in good fun with my friends.

If I see any further bashing of any kind I will have to close this thread. Something I would HATE to do.

19. madmax

Nov 29, 2000
    Point taken. I've had my say.

Mysterysith, knowing me and my various online personnas here and about you would know that I would not want to carry this any further (The wook maybee...:) ),

As a request, to be on the safe side, close the thread

20. MysterySith

Nov 17, 2000
    Thanks Madmax. End of Discussion.

Save it for a future Fanforce meeting :)

21. MysterySith

Nov 17, 2000
    I am re-opening this due to a request by LadySith. We can discuss this as adults I am sure. I know most of us are adults.

22. madmax

Nov 29, 2000
    So how 'bout those Mets? :)

23. Darth Venom

Jun 6, 1999
    <sigh>

Ya know, yesterday when I read madmax's response to me I had typed out a 3-4 paragraph response stating my position, giving examples, and clarifying points which might have not been...clear enough. Then when I clicked "post message" I recieved a "this topic has been locked" message.

So, without any chance for me to explain my perspective, defend my position, or respond to criticism the discussion was deemed over by mysterysith, at max's request.

Now that the topic is "open" again, I find myself not giving a **** anymore. Clearly this forum operates on a two-tier system, and those not on the top tier must simply deal with the whims/opinions/and decisions of those who are.

Having said that I will simply say, enjoy your forum and my time here has, for the most part, been pleasurable.

Auf Wiedersien meine herren
    and May the Force be with you.

24. jandimin

Nov 23, 2000
    oh come on darth venom, don't leave us. please.

25. MysterySith

Nov 17, 2000
    Hi Venom
    MysterySith thought it was close the thread before it got worse, but for exactly the reasons you stated I requested it be open again. We try to keep things fair.

I hope you reconsider and come back!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.