main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does anyone else feel sorry for the clones?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Earthknight, Mar 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    I have to say it. I feel real sorry for the clones in the entire Star Wars universe. I mean, think about it. The Rebels and the Seperatists probably sees them as freaks and the Empire just sees them as mere organic machines for war purposes. Each side views them as anything but human. So I don't about anyone else, but I feel sorry for the clones.

2. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    I don't feel sorry for the clones. Because the clones don't feel sorry for themselves. They were built to do what needed to be done. They were soldiers of the Republic and they served them and the Empire well. Palpatine publically acknowledged that the clones put down the "Jedi Rebellion" in RotS. They were celebrated in the galaxy for conserving the Republic and promoting the growth of the Empire. I'm sure all the Imperial higher ups viewed the clones as glorified driods, but, in a way, they are. I'm not sure where you got that the seps or alliance believed the clones to be freaks, though.

3. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Same here.

4. hero_of_canton

hero_of_canton Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2007
    that scene on Kamino where they are all eating lunch just staring at one another, LOL, id be praying for a bullet

5. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I do. here's nohing more unethical to me than stripping a sentient being of free will, which is exactly what the clones are.

And then growing them to go to war and probably die.

6. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    Unethical, yes.
    However, they were bred that way, they know no other life or way to be.
    They can't miss personal autonomy b/c they never had it.
    They were bred solely to follow orders in a military capacity.
    Obviously attachments are no problem either, they have no qualms about turning on
    their Jedi commrades and killing then when order 66 comes down.
    Kind of interesting when you think about it; no free will, but also no emotions
    about others, no guilt etc.. None of the things that can turn ugly in the average human.

7. hero_of_canton

Feb 20, 2007
    sure looked like commander Cody was friendly with Obi-wan, soldiers follow orders, sometimes orders they dont like, i dont think a lack of emotion had anything to do with it.

a tiger born in a zoo is still an animal that is meant to be in the wild, just because it has never had freedom doesnt mean it isnt entitled to it. a sentient being is what it is. stripping it of its freedom when its 5, 15, 50, or before its even born is just arguing over time tables, after the initial atrocity has been comitted. it isnt hard to justify a crime if it ends up working in your favor

think about how AOTC went down. it was surely a mystery that needed to be figured out when Obi-wan found Kamino, and learned that a jedi comissioned the army?...what the heck...this doesnt seem right at all. fast forward. now we find out there is a big army building up to attack the republic, and some jedi are in trouble on Geonosis...forget solving this mystery(which no one ever looked into afterwards btw)lets just put these mystery soldiers to work cause it works in our favor at the moment

8. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    Yeah, friendly doesn't mean he had an attachment to Obi-Wan.
    He obviously had no problem trying to kill him when the order came down.
    The clones must be bred with stifled emotions b/c 'normal' people sometimes
    make decisions based on emotions and the clones don't, they just follow orders.
    All I did was point out the facts or what is obvious.
    I am in no way arguing the morality of it.
    I did say unethical, yes.

9. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Though they were somewhat droidlike, they were just cloned humans. There life was created solely for going to die for the Republic in a war completely manufactured by Sidious. They were seen as just numbers, they had no proper burial or 'last rights' so to say. They were given guns and told to shoot and to die for a government system they couldn't even partake in.

However, by the time of ROTS I didn't feel sorry for them because obviously something was going on in the background when they respond to sidious as 'my lord' and killing all our good guy jedi friends.

AND THEY KILLED AAYLA!THAT CANNOT BE FORGIVEN!

10. Earthknight

Oct 3, 2002
    ^After playing Battlefront II, you will find out that some of the clones did not really want to part take in that killing.

See this is my problem with how they're treating the clones. They're creating them just for the purpose of war. Their raising them like as if they were machines when in reality they are living, breathing people. The Empire/Republic is denying them their human rights. They made them believe that they are just machines for war. Reality is, they are people and the Empire is denying them their rights. And if you read the EU books, you can kind of see that the Alliance views clones as freaks or untrustworthy because they are born from a test tube.

The only clone who got human treatment was Boba.

11. hero_of_canton

Feb 20, 2007
    i am with you, they got the shaft! not partially, or kind of.... full on shaft.

but like many other hiccups in the republics ability to be decent, it just doesnt matter because they are the good guys

12. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    The Rebels barely fought any Clones(at least of Jango) given that by the time of the Empire, most of the army had diversified and was a mix of Clones from various sources as well as standard enlisted men, with both groups getting equal treatment.

13. Earthknight

Oct 3, 2002
    Yeah, equal treatment. They all get treated poorly. Poor stormtroopers.

14. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    Well, we must remember that the clones are NOT normal human beings. Their DNA was modified for obedience and control. Looking at just the movies, it could be argued they are incapable of feeling sorry for themselves or even imagining there is a life beyond dying for the Republic.

15. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    It was certainly my interpretation of the Clones from the films, though I admit it's not explicitly stated.

16. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I feel sorry for them, but I'm also a little envious of them.

17. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    Well at least we now know why Boba never takes off his helmet in the OT...the last thing he wants is to be ridiculed for being a clone....might lose him a lot of potential clients.

18. hero_of_canton

Feb 20, 2007
    ahh... so all the rights and privelages of being a sentient being were taken from them before they were born, instead of later on....good times =P

rewatch AOTC and check out the scene where all the clones are eating together, the one guy has a look on his face that could stop a clock, i am guessing there life sucked hard core

19. LordVader66

Aug 30, 2005

BattleFront 2 is barely canon. Most of that stuff didn't happen. The Rise of the Empire section of the game is completely made up. I've played it and I got a big laugh of of their storylines. The originals memebers of the 501st surviving to the Battle of Hoth is impossible due to their growth acceleration. If you want real information on clones watch the movies. And if you want a little more, then read the novels. But the video games are not a real sense of canon. If this why your feeling sorry for the clones, then don't. First of all, none of the clones knew for certain that Secura was going to die, and then none were sad when they killed her. No clone was concerned about raiding the Jedi Temple. They did their duty. Whatever Palpatine asked they did. Look at Cody, great friends with Obiwan, but had no problem killing him. Bly was close to Secura and he easily murdered her. With the clones there's no guilt or sadness. From the begining they were programmed to follow orders and be soldiers. That's all the knew their entire lives. And from my readings, the clones loved fighting.

20. Earthknight

Oct 3, 2002
    ^Did they love fighting? Did they really enjoy killing those Jedi? Or maybe they just did all that because they know the higher power would kill them in a inhumane way?

And more proof that they are being mistreated. Their being bred and programmed for war like as if they were machines. I'm sorry but there's no proof that the clones got enjoyment out of their jobs. We just see them shooting. How do we know their not feeling sad for what their being forced to do by an emperor who looks like a ghoul? Those clones were stripped of their human rights since the moment they were getting grown in a test tube. And the strange thing is the Jedi have no problem with this mistreatment. How come on Kamino Obi Wan wasn't slightly shocked when seeing these human beings getting treated as if they were Trade Federation droids?

21. _Sublime_Skywalker_

May 8, 2004
    Thought I'd bump the thread seeing as I really enjoy it . I'm far behind on my EU reading, mostly intaking much of the clone wars novels lately. Today when reading I found something interesting in the book regarding the subject.

Taken from Star Wars The Cestus Deception:

The globe-headed being in front of them turned his head 180 degrees without moving his shoulders."Come now,sir.It's just a clone,after all." Just a clone. Flesh and blood,yes, but bred in a bottle,merely another of 1.2 million clone troopers born with no father to protect them, and no mother to mourn.Yes merely a clone.

This is after a clone is used in a demonstration against a new droid named the JK, for Jedi Killers. The Clone attempts to fight it with the instructors very well knowing that he cannot defeat it, and is injured for the viewing pleasure of an audience.

22. THRAWNFAN

THRAWNFAN Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 23, 2007
    I always wondered what the republic was going to do with all those clones when they won the war. I also wonder whether or not Yoda felt compassion for them

23. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    The Jedi seemed to figure the army would stick around as of just before Order 66, which I reckon shows just how messed up in the head they were-"sure, let's keep this slave army around. No reason not to or anything."

Yoda seems to disapprove of the army's existence as of Episode II-"Go to Kamino I will, and see this army they have created for us." (paraphrase there, I don't remember the exact line.)

Obi-Wan in the AOTC novel felt revulsion at the very concept of a clone army when he's being shown around on Kamino, but kept it hidden.

24. LordVader66

Aug 30, 2005

Remember, it wasn't the Jedi's army or choice of what would happen to the clones. The clones were members of the Republic's army. Perhaps, when the clones war ended and the Jedi toppled Sidious, I could see the senate allowing clones the option to leave the army if they wished. I doubt many would, as they had short life spans and all they had ever known was war. Instead, with Palpatine still in charge and the Empire's vast military might a major point of Palpatine's government, the clones stayed in the army until they were killed or died.

25. _Sublime_Skywalker_

May 8, 2004
    Also, in Cestus Deception theres an ARC commando named Nate who relates to the soldiers as only knowing war, and not wanting anything else. However, I feel that was more of a way they were made to think. No human being, cloned for war or any other purposes would not strive to live a completely normal life.Jango did like the game of danger though.

However, having like 10 000 jango fetts walking around would be somewhat weird.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.