main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Does anyone else have their "own canon"?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DV-213, Aug 25, 2014.

1. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    The Clone Wars is my prequel saga.

2. SarlacsDinnerParty

SarlacsDinnerParty Jedi Knight

Aug 24, 2014
    No. Love the PT so its all canon for me ;)

3. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
  4. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    I love the PT as much as the OT. ROTS is my favorite of the entire lot followed closely by ROTJ. I guess because I love the Anakin-Darth Vader character so much. I was super curious about his background, so I anticipated the PT movies and am among the minority who found each movie awesome. Anakin had to be a spoiled brat that later turned into a troubled Jedi in order for the big fall to work. The Clone Wars really told the part of the story I imagined but was never shown in any of the movies - the bit where Anakin was a brilliant Jedi, matured from the extreme brat, still a bit troubled, but the Jedi that he could find again in ROTJ. Without that link, the story didn't make much sense because he went from ESB to mega rotten rather quickly in ROTS. Lucas explained it, but didn't really show it - so for me that information really linked the PT and OT together and the Clone Wars just confirmed it.

All in all, I didn't write my own canon, but enjoyed Lucas' storytelling - the PT was as awesome as the OT - maybe even (gasp) a little better due to ROTS being the GOAT of the six movies. The only elements that I didn't dig in the movies were Jar Jar and the Ewoks - so that was one element from each PT/OT and so nothing to distinguish on that ground.

CoolyFett and Iron_lord like this.
  5. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    Grey Jedi are real.

Iron_lord and Cushing's Admirer like this.
  6. Darth Palpadious

Darth Palpadious Jedi Master star 3

May 31, 2013
    I grew up with the PT - my introduction to Star Wars was TPM at the age of 7 so I've never known Star Wars without it. Therefore the prequels are rock solid canon in my book. Plus I really don't get most of the criticisms anyway, despite my heavy nostalgia.

Having said that, I do like to change a few things in my head and keep my own canon regarding a few things - mostly little things like lines that were cut. In the first draft of ROTS it's revealed that Dooku arranged to have Shmi killed, kickstarting Anakin's descent into darkness. I like this idea so much that as far as I'm concerned it's canon.

CoolyFett and sarlaccsaurs-rex like this.
  7. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    the wut

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Greatest of all time

CoolyFett likes this.
  9. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Oh thanks :)
    I suck at acronyms xD

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    You're welcome. Some of them can be weird.

11. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Only A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi exist to me... I hope the new trilogy of films are great -then I'll have 6 films to watch!

lovelikewinter likes this.
  12. Eternity85

Eternity85 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    I don't really have my own canon, but I do leave things out; I pick and choose. I know Star Wars, it has always been part of my life, so I feel like I know what is right and what is wrong, so I have my own theories and ideas about characters and events that are otherwise ambiguous. George Lucas told a story of Anakin Skywalker and that story is over, he said so himself. I was disappointed to hear that they will make SW Episode VII, because it tells us that this is somehow connected to the original movies. Im afraid that they will somehow degrade the original SW storyline and come up with something weak that will destroy the significance of what happened in the OT & PT; my point is that if the ST in some ways contradicts the original movies then I won't recognize the story of the ST.

So I guess in some way you could say that I have my own canon. I don't make it myself, but I choose what pieces of the canon that makes sense to me, because I know the SW Universe as well as anybody, so I can see if something is cheap or weak. Movies always reflects whether the people involved were passionate and inspired about the project or if they were thinking more about the:

[​IMG]

In a world where producers and directors may be inclined to go down the quick and easy path, with little regard for integrity or quality, it is legitimate for passionate fans who loves the Universe to choose their own canon.

13. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    As I believe I said in a different thread I think the 6 films and maybe the new clone wars show should be canon. I'm fine with just the 6 movies , especially the original trilogy, as my only canon and everything else can still be entertaining for me even if not canon just as long the 6 films are still canon.

14. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    My own canon is definitely the OOT and includes none of the SE changes.

Alpha-Red and Cushing's Admirer like this.
  15. Darth Ardyti

Darth Ardyti Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 1, 2014
    Yeah, I've started working my way through a re-viewing of the Saga, while implementing my own canon. Mostly, just sacrificing TPM.

Since there are parts of TPM I actually do like, I can always watch it separately on its own, though.

I also ignore the "lost the will to live" Padme death, and assume they just overlooked something, and died from complications during childbirth.

Sarge likes this.
  16. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I didn't enjoy the early books in the New Jedi Order series and so stopped reading those. I also didn't like the fact that they killed Chewie off, so I kind of disregard those.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  17. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Not really.

CoolyFett likes this.
  18. Jania_Solo12

Jania_Solo12 Jedi Youngling

Nov 15, 2014
    Sort of. I don't completely disregard the prequels, I just edit them in my mind. No JarJar, Anakin isn't whiny brat... little things like that.

TX-20 and Darth_Pevra like this.
  19. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Only the six films (and non-contradictory aspects of the deleted scenes) are in my personal canon. Not that I have anything against the TV shows or EU (although I don't much enjoy them) but they don't add enough to the films and are far too extensive for me to feel like it's a worthwhile investment.

Seagoat likes this.
  20. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I think to an extent we all do because none of us get the exact same things from SW.

Seagoat and Revious Nugo like this.
  21. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    Absolutely. I think all fans should embrace their own canon. I love this thread.

I feel you on the whinny teenager thing(reason why i don't like AOTC)...but I like the prophecy, the sith, and the padawan concept...it was included in the original draft of ANH (Cited in The Making of Star Wars by JW Rinzler)...and yeah the friendship between Anakin and Obi is another reason I don't include AOTC in my canon

For me PM is a mere preface not an actual episode...the real prequels for me are:

Episode 1 = Darth Bane Trilogy
    Episode 2 = Darth Plagueis & Labyrinth of Evil
    Episode 3 = ROTS film

After read these books...I realized how bad Lucas messed up the tone of the PT films...hey could have been so much deeper and created a story that would have been unrivaled...yet I am still grateful because Lucas generated the ideas...his execution is what was not good and when given to other artist/authors, it works well...quite well...This is why a part of me likes PM becuase it introduces us to the Sith and the prophecy....and them doesn't explain a damn thing! LOL. That's why the authors of the books tower over Lucas' first two prequel films...And I love the Clone Wars TV show...this was a great depiction of the friendship between Anakin and Obi Won and it was great to see Anakin as a mentor...

as far as the OT era...

OT with Shadows of the Empire

Thrawn Trilogy..hopefully this will make sense somewhat with the ST...even though I doubt the twins will show up...oh well, still love them

22. Revious Nugo

Revious Nugo Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 14, 2014
    My personal canon is all six films EXCEPT Attack of the Clones, which is my opinion the hands down worst sw movie of all time. It's a great example of how NOT to make a movie.
    All of the other films have minor issues (and I could think of small changes I would make to each), but so does EVERY movie. So I try to put "what I would change" thoughts aside and enjoy them as are.

23. LongHairedAussieGuy

LongHairedAussieGuy Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2014
    I love all the films even the prequel trilogy, though to a lesser extent then the originals. My only issue with the PT was too much CGI and that the script should have been polished by a better writer to fix up some of the dialogue. Other then that I consider it all canon

24. TerranPride

TerranPride Jedi Youngling

Nov 24, 2014
    Oh I think there's a lot of "breathing room" in the Prequels for our own interpretations of canon. Like take the Midichlorians for instance. Lucas never really showed them to be what Qui Gon Jinn said they were. What if, instead of microscopic life forms, they were quantum level touchpoints between the energy field of the Force and our normal spacetime? That reconciles what Lucas said back in the 70s about anyone being able to use the Force, with what has been shown more recently. Midichlorians are necessary in that respect, but one is not "born" with a set number, though some have a greater ability to use the force. The Midichlorians would thus be a necessary physics component, but certainly wouldn't be "living organisms" except by the broadest definition (which the Jedi may employ) and wouldn't be of significance to the Force "cosmology". Midichlorians are simply the interaction point between our universe and the Force, necessary by definition, and no more (or less) "alive" than any other component of our universe.

25. TerranPride

TerranPride Jedi Youngling

Nov 24, 2014
    And remember the original definition of Canon....First the movies, then the novelizations, then the screenplays, then the old radio dramas (all under G-canon), then comes the TV shows (its own level of canon just slightly below G-canon), and then comes the EU. All the goofy stuff in Clone Wars (and thank the Maker there was only a little) can be safely seen as a slightly flawed memory of something wonderful.