main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Does anyone else have their "own canon"?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DV-213, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    This is a great thread. I really enjoy seeing others' personal canons, it just proves how flexible SW is and how very interpretive is can be. It's a different thing for every single person

2. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    My personal canon is the 1977 Star Wars film. That's it.

While there are other "Star Wars" things that I like (such as ESB, ROTJ, Splinter of the Mind's Eye, and Daley's three Han Solo novels), I do not consider them canon. They all seem "off" to me. The 1977 film carved a space in my imagination when I first saw it as a 7-year-old in June 1977, and nothing else has managed to share that space.

3. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I'm the kind of person who just embrace official canon, no matter what. I guess I have a kind of reality approach to it. It is what it is and I accept it.
    Lucky for me, I also love it! [face_love]

4. JediTerminator

JediTerminator Jedi Master star 5

Aug 23, 2004
    I accept all 6 movies as canon. Of course, every person is unique on how and why Star Wars appeals to them. There could have been so many better things in all 6 movies, imho, but I understand that all that I may "want" from them is/was impossible for a number reasons. The reasons could have been financial, technological limits, different vision, etc. But I always remind myself that Star Wars was not created by me, it was created by George Lucas who influenced my imagination in ways I cannot explain.

I remember back in around the year 2000 when I first watched the Original Trilogy, (VHS Non-remstared), I was blown away. I could not wait to see The Phantom Menace. I remember I kept begging my parents to see it. When we finally rented it, I was blown away again by how imagintive this new Star Wars movie was because I could not have imagined that myself. I had the same feeling watching TPM as I did ANH. I was amazed by the Originals being remastered. To me, it felt like the Universe was expanding.

There are a lot of books, comics, TV shows out there that has many fans. I guarantee you that those fans will not like every book chapter, comic number, or TV episode. It's like life. There are many experiences in your life that you hate, but there are also many good parts of your life and its all canon to you, personally. Stories go up and down all the time.

CoolyFett likes this.
  5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Anyone have any fan-fiction stories as part of their canon?

6. STUBRIS

STUBRIS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    My personal canon includes the 6 movies. Ahsoka Tano (whom I actually like) never existed and Darth Maul was most definitely killed by Obi-Wan Kenobi on Naboo. The only media outside the movies that I could possibly consider including is the Genndy Clone Wars Micro-series. That thing rocked!

Seagoat and Force Smuggler like this.
  7. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    The six films are my canon. :)

CoolyFett likes this.
  8. STUBRIS

STUBRIS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    Fascinating! It's very rare you come across a fan who only acknowledges the first movie. I will agree however that 'Star Wars' (1977) has a unique charm and is by far my favourite part of the entire saga.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  9. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    FS: I'd be willing to accept fanfiction into mine if I liked the story well enough combined with messages, presentation, and style.

Sarge and Force Smuggler like this.
  10. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I started writing my own in order to bridge gaps, so..the other way round.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  11. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I've read some pretty good AU fics of the movies that I might consider a legitimate alternate version of events.
    You know that I like the EU NJO series and even have 2 AU Fan-Fic endings to that series that continue on after that. Most movie AU fan-fics that I like diverge from ROTS onwards or events during the OT. Don't think I've read a series starting from TPM onwards though.

Ewok Poet Could you elaborate some more?

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  12. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Nice. Are you reading Yobi's series?

I'd like to see SW AUs but they seem pretty rare. Often, people tackle the whole series of OT not a single entry.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Sure am. Rereading his stuff actually.

Episode 4 AU's by itself?

14. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Of course. In the sub-aspect of the SW universe that I like most, there were many loose ends, so I did the opposite of what your question suggests: instesd of reading something and incorporating it into my own canon, I started writing things myself, out of desire to fill the gaps.

Hope it makes much more sense this way, it's been a long day.

15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah. It makes sense. If you put it on here or have it on here could you let me know? I'm intrigued.

16. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I was following it a good while. I saw he finally updated again. Am considering a reread myself.

Yes. Or spawned directly from 4 that doesn't deliberately echo 5 or 6 in most overt ways.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  17. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Nope. Just the six (and future) films!

18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Just as good as I remember.

That makes sense.

19. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Glad to hear you're enjoying it, FS.

Honestly I am debating doing my own 4 AU as it is likely the only way I'd see the story I want to read.

20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Me too. Do it!

21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    It's in my signature. I consider it a work-in-progress, and I'm trying to solve a major character redesign issue in it as well.

Cushing's Admirer - do it. :) :) I would read it!

Also, what is Yobi's series?

22. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Thanks for the support, Poet and FS. [:D] I'm really nervous to because of who I'd focus on. If I did do it, it'd probably only be available via PM.

23. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    If I can do it, so can you. Your niche is errr...less laughable and less childish than mine. In fact, it's neither of those, as I assume it would center on Tarkin, who would eventually survive etc etc..?!

24. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Thank you, I think. @};- May I PM you? :)

Ewok Poet likes this.
  25. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Of course. :)