main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Does anyone feel "betrayed" about post-ROTJ EU becoming AU?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by StarWarsFan91, Jun 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Just keep giving us stories in the current EU. There is so much more material that can be covered.

darklordoftech likes this.
  2. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    AlyxDinas Yes I see your point, but chances are new people who come along and want to get into the EU after immensely enjoying the movies, like myself(especially with the coming sequel trilogy) are just going to end up confused and perhaps alienated by all these different storylines and characters from all the forms of media.

For me, the wonderful world or should I say galaxy of Star Wars was easy for me to get into, because I grew up knowing that this was one streamline and a linear continuity. This made it easy for me to get into the books compared to Marvel/DC back in say 2002-2004 which had so many titles, like Elseworlds, Ultimate Marvel, and so on and so forth, it made my head spin. It was only a decade later I only honestly got into comics, like Avengers and now Superman mainly because of all these reboots of the main comic book continuity(and the new movies are awesome!).

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Exactly my thoughts.

4. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    That would be stupid. I never said that star wars should have something actually in-universe that creates a new timeline. It would just be nice if the powers that be stated that though the post-ROTJ EU is not happening in the timeline that Episode 7 is in, it still took place in another reality, and therefore there is a star wars multiverse.

ScorpionJedi likes this.
  5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    5 bucks says they won't unfortunately. They'll want to focus on the ST universe.

6. LivingJediDream

LivingJediDream Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2010
    From a business perspective, it makes sense. However, I posted in the Disney Episode VII thread why this thread's premise may be jumping to conclusions.

7. ScorpionJedi

Jun 19, 2013

That could be an interesting direction, they could do a lot with that. Plus that might solve a lot of issues I might have with future movies. I could support this.

If anyone from Dark Horse Comics is reading this, please get some ideas lol.

8. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    The problem with declaring the current EU an alternate universe and leaving it at that is that it doesn't give new readers a lot of incentive to buy into it. When the sequel trilogy is being released, what reason would new fans have to hop into the dozens of novels of a parallel timeline that has nothing whatsoever to do with those shiny movies they just saw at the cinema? If they want to keep the old EU marketable and relevant, they need to do some crazy stunt akin to the 2009 Star Trek movie. Otherwise it'll very quickly fade into a relic of the past, forgotten by everyone except for us.

9. LivingJediDream

Jul 7, 2010
    If they do the Star Trek 2009 thing, it will still be irrelevant to Episode VII to people that haven't read it.

Other IPs have spinoff novels that aren't canon and people buy them.

10. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    If they create a new EU centered around the sequel trilogy, it could work beautifully. Especially if they had a character who could travel between the two universes. New fans who become interested in the ST-EU will want to follow the Doctor when he travels into the parallel universe... boom! The old EU is still relevant and has just picked up some new readers.

11. LivingJediDream

Jul 7, 2010
    Yeah, that's not Star Wars.

Darth_Martus likes this.
  12. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    What if the universe-traveling character is Waru?

13. LivingJediDream

Jul 7, 2010
    It should be Thanos and tie into Marvel comics and films and create this massive cross-promotional blitz.

darklordoftech and ScorpionJedi like this.
  14. ScorpionJedi

Jun 19, 2013
    Well I did suggest earlier that they could do a something like an arc in Star Wars: Legacy where it's something which unifies the new and old continuities.

15. LivingJediDream

Jul 7, 2010
    I want to see Chewbacca's head on a spiderdroid body fighting Wolverine and Sabretooth.

16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm not so sure that the market cares about canonicity as much as we do.

LivingJediDream likes this.
  17. LivingJediDream

Jul 7, 2010
    Like I said, a lot of other intellectual properties have non-canon spin-off novels, comics, video games, etc., and people still buy them.

I'm sure Thrawn trilogy book sales will go up in May 2015 even if it is mutually exclusive with Episode VII.

18. ScorpionJedi

Jun 19, 2013
    So I just went on wookieepedia, I was mind-blown that they've already introduced other dimensions into the EU.

19. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    It would be foolish to feel outraged until we know precisely what is going to happen. It is entirely possible to build the new movies in a way that respects the EU to a greater or lesser degree.

The key issue, from my perspective, is that Disney choses to devise the ST in a way that handles the EU both intelligently and respectfully. Intelligently means choosing a stark point of separation that makes sense (meaning either 4 ABY, 25 ABY, or ~50 ABY) so that whatever continuity is devised going forward can maintain some semblance of coherency. Respectfully means recognizing that there are a few million EU fans out there and that they have and will continue to sustain the franchise outside of movies and not taking any malicious shots at them. Malicious shots include moves like producing Solo children with completely new names and ages.

ScorpionJedi likes this.
  20. ScorpionJedi

Jun 19, 2013
    I want to agree with you, but having heard the recent casting calls, it seems less likely they want to even have the Solo twins. :(

21. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    You know people still buy Ultimate Marvel stuff, even though its in not in the main universe (earth 616). So its possible that people invested in the post-ROTJ EU would still buy said material even though they know its not apart of the main star wars universe anymore. I just don't want the powers that be to basically say that post-ROTJ EU has been rectonned out of existence, and that it never happened in any star wars universe. post-ROTJ EU sure does not deserve to fall into the same level as fanfic, and that wouldn't be the case if it was given its own reality in a hypothetical star wars multiverse.

Though Ultimate Marvel may not be a good comparison, because when it first came out, people knew it wasn't apart of earth 616, that it was a completely new reality, unlike the post-ROTJ EU.

22. ScorpionJedi

Jun 19, 2013
    I agree with every point you make. It would be a giant kick in the pants to retcon it out of existence and declare everything a glorified fanfic. A multiverse could provide some interesting areas to explore and for sure it would satisfy people like us and it would keep stuff valid. However a small part of me wants a unified linear continuity as that's what originally appealed to me about getting into the larger world of the EU.

23. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I want to say that I enjoy both Batman 1989 and the Dark Knight Trilogy.

24. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    Eeeeee.... you are not going to be happy come 2015.

25. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    Agreed, i to prefer one linear continuity, but that seems less and less likely because of episode 7. Though the chance is small, i do hope that episode 7 is made in away that it could stay in the same timeline as post-ROTJ EU. But if that is not the case, then i think the multiverse idea is a good plan B.

ScorpionJedi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.