main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does anyone feel sorry for the prequel haters ?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by jknight25, Jul 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jknight25

jknight25 Jedi Youngling

Feb 28, 2002
    When people say they hate the prequel trilogy it always got me upset,but i actualy kind of feel sorry for them now.
    I feel sorry for them because they will never enjoy Star Wars as a six part saga as those who enjoy the prequels as much as the clasic trilogy.Now i like the clasic trilogy better,but the prequels are know where near as bad as some people say they are, especialy episode 2 and 3 which i think are better then jedi.
    Too bad for the haters its their loss.

Strilo edit: We discuss the films here, not the fans.

2. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Everyone loves the PT, they just won't admit it. I can understand someone wanting to see TPM and not liking it. But then they go see AOTC, and they hate it. Now, if I see 2 movies and hated them both, and they were making a third one, I wouldn't go see it. That's what everyone was saying about ROTS, how bad it's going to suck, etc. Everyone saw it, and it was awesome. Everyone will buy the DVD, the video games, the comics, the novels, the toys, the cereal, the puzzles, the fruit snacks, the bed sheets, the flamer throwers, watch the cartoons and the TV show, and continue to come here to talk about it. The PT was a huge success, and if anyone tells you that they watched and hated all 3, call them a name.

3. iLoveAnakin7

iLoveAnakin7 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 17, 2005
    I don't feel bad for hypocrites. If someone says they hated the prequels, but then paid the money to go the theatre 50 times and then buy it on DVD then they are a little messed up in the head I would say. I love the prequels, it's what I grew up on since I wasn't alive when the orignials came out, but they are no less great. When it's all said and done all six movies are Star Wars.:D

4. Master_Yoder

Master_Yoder Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2005
    Well The ONLY reason they hate the prequal trilogy was a stupid reason:Jar Jar Binks.
    Sure The Prequals lacked Script, but that's the only reason why it's bad. Most critics don't look at the movie for action cause that is why most action movies aren't that good.

5. POTAStar

POTAStar Jedi Master star 2

May 26, 2001
    lacked script? what the hell are you talking about? The PT's story was so much more complex than the OT's. There is so much that some people can't understand it all (like yourself) and dismiss it as 'lacking' or 'bad.' Gimme a break.

6. am-pm

am-pm Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2005
    Well, yes I do feel a tad sorry for them because they are missing out. They have lost the ability to feel the magic, and that is truly sad.

I love the OT and I love the PT. I don't understand how anyone who doesn't can truly call themselves a Star Wars fan because they are really not. They may be fans of ANH, ESB and ROTJ, but "Star Wars" is the entire story that George Lucas told, it is six parts, not three. People that stricly love the OT, or for that matter people that strictly love the PT, should perhaps call themselves something else. Plus, the people I really feel sorry for are the people who say they are Star Wars fans, and then say George Lucas is the biggest hack that walked the Earth who doesn't understand Star Wars, etc.! Allllrighty then! He CREATED this entire galaxy that you adore, but he's an idiot. What does that make YOU then? Sheesh!

(Edit: removing roller coaster analogy. okay, it sucked).

Oh man, too much merlot, too little sleep but you get my point right? Okay, rant over.

Oh well, we are luckier because we have six movies to choose from to pop in and have a great time, and they only have three so [face_not_talking] LOL.

7. ProphesiedChosenOne1

ProphesiedChosenOne1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 21, 2005

In no way did I think that ROTS would suck. I knew it would be the best of them all ( the prequels). It was Lucas' last movie ( supposedly ). He had to make it great. The dialogue may have sucked in the PT, but it also sucked in the OT ( the I have a bad feeling about this got old quickly ). Episode 3 is my favorite followed by TPM. I am more of a technical, modern person, so the prequels easily take the cake for me. No doubt I still love the OT ( it is how I fell in love with Star Wars ). Maybe it was the lightsaber battles or maybe the love story.

he he he.

8. Wester547

Wester547 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    You do realize that when he says script he's refering to the screenplay, not the actual basic story, correct? The screenplay itself, the translation of the story, could have been executed and written better, with all honesty. But the basic story and plot remains brilliant: the fall of Democracy and the Jedi order, the rise of the Empire, on the much grander scale of things, before the dark Times: before the Empire!

And on top of that you have the personal stories such as the one of Anakin, Obi-Wan, etc. Something far more epic in terms of scale and complexity, and more interesting then the story of any of the rather tightly constructed, smaller stories of the OT were (at least IMO). It is not the basic stories of the episodes that the OTs were most well known or appreciated for. Infact, it's a simple Good VS Bad conflict in ANH, hardly noticeable in TESB, and heavily critcized in ROTJ. But those PT bashers aren't willing to admit that and continue to rave the PT story "boring and uninteresting, flat and thin". While, in truth, they probably don't even understand it, nor care to, solely concentrating on rambling about the film's flaws, their weaknesses; instead of their strengths.

If you look beyond Jar Jar's antics, Jake Lloyd and his judged "performance" of Anakin, some of the wooden acting (which is really due to the screenplay), some of the 2-5 second bathroom & slapstick humour, cartoonish parts of the movie, and the supposed "jargon politics" of the film, and the "midichlorians" (which is really just a beaten to death by the bashers biological aspect of the Force. Which I personally have nothing against), it's a movie that works fantastically in its own superb way that beautifully foreshadows the events to transpire and conveys the meaning of the "Roman esque" age with a pretty interesting story, actually. Refering to TPM.

And if you can get past the love story and some of the dialogue in AOTC (as well as the some of the wooden acting -- again -- due to the screenplay), as well as the droid factory sequence and 3PO's antics - guess what? You've got a decent, enjoyable, Star Wars worthy film to watch. Shows them rightfully.

And in regards to ROTS - it's a pretty good movie with the exception of certain minor quibbles, at least IMO, so nothing really worth mentioning here.

Enough said.

9. The-D

The-D Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2005
    Does anyone feel sorry for the prequel haters?

Not a drop of sorrow.

Lack of good taste should not be pittied, IMO. [face_plain]

10. Hutt_Slut

Hutt_Slut Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2004
    I look at it this way, they just don't know how to express their lack of understanding.
    The problem is not that they hate but that they don't understand the point of Star Wars. They have become so used to to the same old sci-fi garbage that they can't palette something of real taste when it comes along. They are so used to watching sci-fi and then talking about much it sucks that they just don't know another way.

TBH I'm sorta glad that we the fans are shrinking back a little. The amount of people who suddenly became lifetime fans in the spring of 99 was really annoying.
    I remember my sister, who had barely noticed SW growing up, suddenly wanting to know all this stuff about the movies, and wanting to go wait in line with us. For 3 months everyone and their brother was a fan and it was annoying.

But I digress...

I don't eat caviar. Therefore, I couldn't tell you good caviar from bad caviar, my palette just isn't developed enough to know. But does that mean that caviar sucks? No. It's a delicassy to those in the know.
    So somebody who eats McDonalds 3 times a day takes a bite of caviar they think it's worst thing ever.

The problem is that so many people jumped the bandwagon and thought that because they saw the films as childern, or that their brother was a fan, that somehow they understood. And because they have a computer they think their opinion is something special...even if they are just regurgitating what they heard someone else say.
    They don't have a developed palette to discern if the prequels were good or not.
    But they don't know how to express that because nobody realizes that they're ignorant.

Maybe if certain serials and old films were required viewing before Star Wars there wouldn't be this problem but...

11. iLoveAnakin7

iLoveAnakin7 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 17, 2005
    you said it D!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.