main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Does anyone have ideas for Episode VII that don't undermine the previous films?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by El Jedi Colombiano, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    No, but the original Sith were just Jedi who fell and started calling themselves sith. I don't see a difference between them doing it and a different jedi doing it. Remember almost everything we know about the sith comes from the EU, not the films. In the films Anakin becomes a sith just by saying "I pledge myself to your teachings". Then Palpatine gives him a name and sends him on a mission. Boom, he's a sith. :)

2. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    It's difficult to surpass a saga that spans 6 films at this point. In particular with how high the bar has been raised, in terms of lightsaber duels, special effects, memorable characters, etc.

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    As I said, all 6 movies together > world in my opinion. However, from what I've non-fans don't seem to have strong opinions about the prequels.

4. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001

Will the ST stand out as distant cousins to the rest then? As different as the feel was between the OT and the PT, will the ST have its own following? A lot of people like the entire "saga", but some are really torn between the OT and PT. Are we going to get a third faction now? :p

5. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
  6. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Both within the movies and in real life.

7. El Jedi Colombiano

Jun 24, 2013
    You ask too many questions ;)
    Always in motion is the future.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. El Jedi Colombiano

Jun 24, 2013
    That depends I guess. I know more people that like the prequels, if not appreciate them, as opposed to those who hate them. Hell, I even now of a guy who likes the prequels and doesn't like the originals!

9. El Jedi Colombiano

Jun 24, 2013
    I think's it should be obvious that the next movies are going to divide even more the fanbase, no matter how good they are.

10. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I said no strong opinion. I didn't say hate.

11. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    As far as contradicting the previous films, I agree with all of these. If we weren't just basing it on the films then TCW has already contradicted the films with Maul. :)

12. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    The only film in memory that has the same burden as the ST would be The Godfather Part 3. I think that film, for all its faults, should be seen as a point of inspiration for the ST, In the way that it moves the story forward in a new way while thematically tying itself to what came before, creating something that feels like one prolonged conclusion to the entire epic story. Not that I'm saying the films shouldn't do new things or stand out on their own, because doing that is essential, but there needs to be an element that makes the films a natural extension of the saga, not just an odd standalone trilogy that feels like a red-headed stepchild.

The best thing we can hope for is that when the ST is finished, we can look at the 9-part saga as a whole and think to ourselves "I can't imagine this story feeling complete without those last three."

So what does that mean for the story of these films? I dunno... but there should be some sort of conflict, prefferably involving Luke, that poetically mirrors the conflicts of the first two trilogies.
    Perhaps an apprentice of his, one with whom he has a father-son like relationship, becomes corrupted by the dark side? Just a thought.

The somewhat sad thing is that these will almost certainly need to be more cynical films than what came before. You can't come back from the euphoric ending of ROTJ with a new conflict and not address the fact that, yeah, "happily ever after" endings don't really happen. Perhaps this will be our chance to get that more bittersweet conclusion that was originally planned for ROTJ?

13. El Jedi Colombiano

Jun 24, 2013
    Darth Maul is different because as long as he ends up dead sometime soon, (before Episode 6) we shouldn't have a problem. But with a Reborn Palpatine for example, like in Dark Empire, it's not only a lame idea, but a flat out contradiction.

14. El Jedi Colombiano

Jun 24, 2013
    I think it has to move with a different idea. Sure, some of the energy that we got at the end of ROTJ should be their, but at the same time it should go into a different direction. As far as the ending, my guess is that it could be more mature, while at the same time being optimistic and finally bringing closure.

15. El Jedi Colombiano

Jun 24, 2013
    You mean like they have a neutral opinion? Ok.

16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    yup

17. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm just never going to be able to accept Maul's return. To me, his death is almost as definitive as Palpatines. Weird, I'm being way more opinionated today than I usually am on here. I usually try to avoid the "sensitive issues" so that actual discussion can continue. Ah well, flame away people. :)

18. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013
    Well Said.
    I would be a very happy man, if they can make this happen.

19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    It's easier for me to accept Maul's return than it is for me to believe that all Darksiders are Sith.

20. El Jedi Colombiano

Jun 24, 2013
    It's going to be very hard, but well, let's hope you are right.

21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Some twisted version of an idealistic liberator. A gray villain, perhaps even a light sider. Doesn't like that Luke and Leia and Han just recreated the status quo with the Jedi and Republic instead of making something new and better. Goes on a quest to "liberate" the slaves, droids, oppressed, and poor of the galaxy. Gets the Skywalkers and Jedi and audience to question if they're the good guys or not. Only thing about the Liberation movement is that they have no mercy when enacting "justice" on their oppressors, historical mirror of the French Revolutions

22. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I know man, but the OP was asking about things that contradict the films, and technically speaking the only darkside users mentioned in the films are Sith. I'm not saying all darkside users are Sith, I'm just saying that the films don't mention anything other than Sith when referring to the darkside. Hell, the OT doesn't even mention Sith. The first time we hear that word in the films is in TPM. If the ST uses darkside users who aren't sith then it will finally make it clear to non EU fans that there's more to the darkside than just the Sith.

El Jedi Colombiano likes this.
  23. El Jedi Colombiano

Jun 24, 2013
    sounds neat

Jedi Knight Fett and Ghost like this.
  24. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    There's nothing in the movies that suggests that all Darksiders are Sith, and even non-EU fans know that not all Darksiders are Sith. In fact, most non-fans I talk to think that "Sith" is Palpatine's race.

25. El Jedi Colombiano

Jun 24, 2013
    You've got to be kidding me. Can't they tell he's human?