main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Does anyone have ideas for Episode VII that don't undermine the previous films?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by El Jedi Colombiano, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I would say it's because becoming a Sith is based on a choice not an action. He was a Sith the minute he chose to be. At least, that's how I interpreted that scene.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  2. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    Evil is essentially the same in every culture. The Devil in the Abrahamic religions is going to have the same motivations as the Hindu antigods and Demons, as Angra Mainyu in Zoroastrianism, as Vucub-Caquix, the Mayan monster macaw. The difference lies in their presentation and in their philosophy. You can't simply consider the Sith and the Nightsisters to be the same, because they are not, at least not outside their core. The Sith have been able to lead double lives, being both politicians, economists and starship engineers while at the same time being secretly evil wizards. The Nightsisters have lived their entire lives in the red planet Dathomir, dedicated to witch craft and living under the rule of the shaman in a matriarchal society, while the Sith live under an ancient order which says that their can only be two: a master and an apprentice. Besides their different powers, different places they live in and so forth, The Sith primarily live to destroy the Jedi Order. The Nightsisters as far as we know, don't have a vendetta against the Jedi, but instead have manipulated the Sith in order to achieve their goals.

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    He did indeed choose to become a Sith.

Palpatine: Become my new Apprentice.
    Anakin: Sure!

4. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    Bottom line on this topic... if you don't want Sith in the ST, then you shouldn't want Sith copies (with just a few superficial differences) either.
    --------------------

speak for yourself.

I personally don't mind to see other variants of the darkside,

in fact I think a bunch a villains following a set of rules set by a bad guy thousands of years before to be a bit of a stretch

"oh we MUST have 2, darth bane said so".. uhhm.. yeah

5. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    In addition to that, the Nightsisters and the Sith have different beliefs and philosophies.

6. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    So, in your view, is the only way to become a Sith to be made one by a Sith master?

7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    You can become a Sith by learning from one, just like you can become a Jedi by learning from one.

8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Well, the EU and movies are pretty much all one "canon"... there's a few inconsistencies but nothing big, and mostly it's inconsistencies from book to book. But you're right that that's no longer set in stone, until we see what the ST does with the EU.

Because he recognized he did something wrong, and turned away from it. But that's not my point.

The point... this thread asks about an original idea that has no Sith. I'm saying having Sith copycats would be as original as having Sith again.

And if Anakin had stayed on the dark side after killing the Sand People, then yes, he would have been a Sith in all but name... calling him Sith or not would have made no difference.

And yes, Darth Bane creating the Rule of Two is in the TPM novel.

9. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    And if Anakin had stayed on the dark side after killing the Sand People, then yes, he would have been a Sith in all but name... calling him Sith or not would have made no difference.
    --------------------------------

that's just not true though.

Sith live by a set of rules

"master and an apprentice"

"must have darth title"

etc.

darklordoftech likes this.
  10. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm still laughing about when Darth Loocas said, "Don't tell me Palpatine came out of the other end of the shaft that Anakin threw him into."
    [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The Sith don't have to be 2... the Sith break their rules all the time, and can evolve.

And I'm saying it's not logical to want Sith in all but name, if you don't want Sith.

Not really. Just some superficial differences.

See my response to you above. Those aren't permanent rules.

And I said he would have been a Sith in all but name, what he was called would make no difference.

(PS... you can hit the "reply" button underneath a post to quote someone, it will appear at the bottom of the page... or you can right-click reply and open in a new tab/window)

Agreed.

And in Star Wars, with a galactic civilization, the Sith are basically the Big Bad of the entire galactic culture.

Presentation is superficial.

And I don't see any deep philosophical differences.

Like you said, the Sith and Nightsisters are the same at their core.

The Nightsisters are like Sith copycats, with different powers from their different perspective, who stay on their tribal planet. They're just localized Sith in all but name.

12. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    [​IMG]
    [face_laugh]

13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Thank you! I was hoping everyone would enjoy it!

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    We still have a chance of seeing plain old, middle of the road Vizsla before Post.

15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Good point, Chorus.

16. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    (PS... you can hit the "reply" button underneath a post to quote someone, it will appear at the bottom of the page... or you can right-click reply and open in a new tab/window)
    -----------------------------

I'll do it my own way thanks. I don't like Alerting people, if you notice I don't "like" posts either even though many make cracking good posts.

And from movie evidence Sith don't break rules all the time, if that was the case, Sidious would have had both Tyranus AND Vader as apprentices,

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Vizsla doesn't seem nearly as interesting as Pre Vizsla or Post Vizsla, though. Lot more going on with those 2.

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I just didn't know if you knew how to.

And if we're looking at only the movies, Vader seemed to think Palpatine would break the Rule of Two.

19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Or maybe Vader and Palpatine both expected to be betrayed. Betraying and being betrayed is as normal as having dinner for a Sith.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  20. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Ok, so the original Sith were just Jedi who decided to study the ways of the darkside. They didn't have a master to learn from because they were the first, so they had to figure it out for themselves. Then they decided to give their new order the name of Sith. So, if they could teach themselves to be Sith without learning from a Sith master, then why couldn't a Jedi from Luke's order do the same thing? I'm just saying that this is why I wouldn't find it unbelievable for a new Sith to be in the ST. Honest question.

21. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    Summer Dreamer: sorry if my post sounded harsh, wasn't meant to be :)

And although you make a good point, you could argue that Lucas didn't have the history of the Sith figured out yet, if you accept OOU explanations that is.

Darth_Pevra and Summer Dreamer like this.
  22. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I definitely think this is true.

23. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    None of these are superficial differences, but whatever.

The Nightsisters choose to call upon the Winged Goddess (the Daughter) and the Fanged God (the Son), in order to utilize their magicks and communicate with the spirit realm.

The Sith see the Force as a means to an end, and some of them seeked to study the Force in an entirely rationalistic way. Others, like Palpatine, may have seen the Force as a deity.

If those aren't Clear differences to you, I have no idea what the hell they are for you.

24. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    The Nightsisters choose to call upon the Winged Goddess (the Daughter) and the Fanged God (the Son), in order to utilize their magicks and communicate with the spirit realm.
    ------------------------------------------------------

*chuckles*

oh TCW, you were funny while you lasted

(I'm assuming this is TCW)

Corvax855 and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  25. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    No offense to those who are fans of it, but I definitely don't want sorcery in the ST. The Force is mystical enough thanks. Whoever the villain is, I hope they're not using spells, rituals, incantations, etc.