main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does anyone have the same hope as I do?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by The_SAGA, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_SAGA

The_SAGA Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 16, 2004
    i doubt this will ever happen, but i would be happiest if new viewers of SW would not be able to tell that IV-VI were made 20 years before I-III. I think this should be the eventual goal, if at all possible.

I know this wont get a warm reception, but i want to know who feels as I do. Not trying to fan the flames

2. Merculix

Merculix Jedi Youngling

Mar 19, 2004
    I agree with you fully.

I saw all 5 films in a row a couple of weeks ago.
    I couldn't tell the difference except that Episode I and II feels like EPIC movies with lots of action and itriguing scenes and EPIV-VI lies on a more personal stage, following the trails of our heroes.

People who are saying EP I and II sucked don't understand that STAR WARS is a huge story divided into six chapters or episodes if you will.
    Once you realize that, STAR WARS become much greater.

I think the reason people hate EP I and II is that they ain't no kids anymore. When you are a kid you don't have the same feelings about movies as an adult.

3. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    You do if you keep a good attitude about you.

4. Kyle-Katarn_wannabe

Kyle-Katarn_wannabe Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2004
    I agree that all the movies flow very well from 1-5 and I really feel its all one big saga.
    However I definately feel a difference between the old and the new. I thinks its because the prequels are move like an introduction and the OT is the main story. I mean 10 years pass between EPI and EPII and about 20 years pass between EPIII and EPIV.
    In the OT it's a continual storyline with no more than a brief time lapse between the films.
    So yes I think all 6 films will work great together as one saga but the difference between the OT and the PT will be noticed

5. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    I think some fans would see the PT in a whole new light if they rented a few of the old Flash Gordon and Buck Rodgers serials. They really give you an insight into the way Lucas set up his episodes.

6. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I couldn't tell the difference except that Episode I and II feels like EPIC movies with lots of action and itriguing scenes and EPIV-VI lies on a more personal stage, following the trails of our heroes.

I did the 5-film run over Christmas, and I'd agree with you. It just feels like things become less epic by the time 4-6 kick in, but it doesn't feel like a jarring experience. It just feels more like a very small band of heroes zipping around space in a battered freighter for much of the time, so it still works.

Plus, we've been able to see more of the planets from the OT in the PT, so you kinda feel like you know a lot about them anyway. Anyone seeing the Saga 1-6 will know a lot about Tatooine before it turns up in ANH, rather than just what we see in that film.

Uh...hope you understand what I was trying to get at...it feels more like we're intentionally seeing things at a smaller scale, rather than the actual case of the OT being 20+ years older and with vastly smaller budgets etc.

7. Merculix

Merculix Jedi Youngling

Mar 19, 2004
    Nice to see there's people that love ALL Star Wars movies.

8. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    I feel that its not that big of a deal. Star Wars is what you make it.

The Prequel Trilogy is like a whole galaxy acting on a small group, while the Original Trilogy is a small group acting on the whole galaxy.

9. Kyle-Katarn_wannabe

Kyle-Katarn_wannabe Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2004
    gee thats really profound emporor billy bob.
    I guess you're right.

10. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    Well, thank you. I try.

11. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    I think once the OT is cleaned up for DVD, it'll be that much smoother a transition :)

12. Merculix

Merculix Jedi Youngling

Mar 19, 2004
    Yeah, can't wait.

13. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    The story is becoming more focused with each passing film. Episode I was a grand tale where main characters played a relatively small role against the backdrop of galatic political upheaval. Episode II moved us a bit closer to the characters of Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Padme, allowing us to learn more about them and their motivations. I have a feeling Episode III will move us even closer, centering primarily on Obi-Wan and Anakin.

Personally, I think the only reason many folks see a division between the prequels and the originals is because of the conspicuous gap between Episodes II and IV. I think once Episode III is released, the blur between the trilogies will be erased and it'll just be one massive six film story.

14. MaraJade2006

MaraJade2006 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 9, 2003
    People who are saying EP I and II sucked don't understand that STAR WARS is a huge story divided into six chapters or episodes if you will.

Amen! :)

I think if we stand back instead of focusing on all of the little things, we'll appreciate the true genius of what's going on here. If you look at the whole story, it really is incredible! Like Durwood said, once Ep III comes out it'll all flow together and all the pieces will be in place. The only difference I think you'll be able to see is with all of the digital things. But maybe they'll clean that up for the OT DVDs. :) Who knows! But whether others can tell the difference or not, it'll still be the best movie ever and seem to fit perfectly together for me! :)

15. El Tom the Jedi of Love

El Tom the Jedi of Love Jedi Youngling

Jul 16, 1999
    I actually think that it would be good to keep the 2 trilogies separate. I think that GL has done different things with them. I think his focus has changed from OT to PT. I don't want to get into whether or not that is good or bad, but I definitely think that it has happened. I see different themes and different messages in the 2 trilogies so I don't think that it is necessary a good a idea to try and make them all one big continuous story (I know that each movie individually has it's own themes and stuff, but I feel that the OT has an overall theme, feel and/or point and that the PT also has an overall theme, feel and/or point so to me no matter how they look they will always seem too different to me).

16. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Oh, that's a real shame...the intention is definitely for all 6 to fit together, so I'm sorry if you don't feel they 'join' for you.

The Prequel Trilogy is like a whole galaxy acting on a small group, while the Original Trilogy is a small group acting on the whole galaxy.
    Heh, that's pretty good.

And I agree, Wascally...the (expected) high-grade DVD transfer should really help the OT fit in visually. Stylistically and story-wise, it already does IMO.

17. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    I think that the different look of the OT will emphasize that it's the "dark times" in context of the saga.

18. AnakinsangelofNaboo

AnakinsangelofNaboo Jedi Youngling

Apr 12, 2004
    the ot story is excellent but it needed more battle scenes that are exciting i agree its not as epic but we still all love the story right. It would be awesome if they hadnt made the old trilogy yet and we started off with the new trilogy and the worked our way dowm to episodes 4-6 and so they all had the same breath taking exhilarating vibe that the new trilogy had but it still had the same lovable characters and actors except not old yet. but i still love the story it rocks!!!! cant wait for ep.3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.