main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does anyone here actually feel sorry for Anakin Skywalker?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mastadge, Jan 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    They tell us he's a slave to elicit sympathy, but come on!

His owner is so lax that he doesn't even notice that the kid is building a whole podrace and protocol droid under his nose. He's not beaten nor forced to do any unreasonable labor, just to help with the shop and do some chores . . . based on how much time he has, fewer than Luke seemed to have to do on his home. He's "forced" to participate in this dangerous event...which he absolutely loves to do. His status as a slave actually protects him from some of his fellows (like Sebulba) who won't kill him because they don't want to have to pay for him. He has a pretty spacious home (not huge, but plenty big for two people) and seems to have no trouble providing for several guests at a time. The kid didn't have it so bad...if he weren't ::gasp:: a SLAVE then he'd actually be BETTER OFF than many, many other people.

2. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Good point.

However, watching the ending of RotJ, I can't help but feel sorry for him.

3. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Appently, he is worth SO much that a high tech, fusion powered, anti-gravity racing sled that can do 1000 kmh isn't even worth as much as one slave, let alone two.

But, yeah, I agree. I would have suggested that this should have gone in the Phantom Meance forum, but you would have been flamed for pointing this out.

4. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    Since he was a Jedi, he wasn't allowed to marry the hottest chick in the galaxy.

I feel sorry him!

5. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Actually, I think it's because of both his talent as a mechanic and as a pod racer that causes Watoo to give him so much freedom. Because of what he can do for him, Watoo doesn't seem to care about the idea of treating him like a slave. In fact, it would seem that while he may like to remind him, he'd prefer to keep him fairly happy so that he can keep using those talents.

But when you get down to it, Anakin is more of an employee than a slave. How many slaves are actually paid to do the work they do. We see Anakin being able to afford treats for himself. He may not get much in the way of a salary, but it seems he does get one.

6. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Be careful. I made the same points when TPM came out and was flamed as being a racist nazi for suggesting that Anakin didn't have it so bad. He is quite clearly most like an indentured servant as opposed to most people's image of what a slave is. His quality of life on Tatooine as a slave was as good or better than any non-slave on Tatooine.

However, there is the fact that he has his slave implant which will kill him, so regardless of what happened, working for Watto was just an illusion of freedom at best, even if he thought he was doing something he liked.

7. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    I do feel sorry for him, because he can't seem to get out of his own way. It's exactly the way he does stuff that gets him into trouble, and his intentions are good.

As for slavery, I don't care how good he has it. It is a guilded cage. A slave is a slave. Ask any slave where they want to be and they will tell you anywhere but there. It's completely demoralizing to be someone's chattel.

Watto betted on Sebulba and laughed when he tried to kill Anakin. That is not friendly. And how do we know he didn't beats Anakin? (In the book, it says he beats him all the time. And they went hungry when Watto lost money betting and couldn't afford it.) Watto is a rotten person. Anyone who owns a slave is a morally bankrupt loser. JMHO......

8. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

As for slavery, I don't care how good he has it. It is a guilded cage. A slave is a slave. Ask any slave where they want to be and they will tell you anywhere but there. It's completely demoralizing to be someone's chattel.

How much difference is there between Anakin and Luke? Not much- Anakin might have been a slave, but all that means is he was prevented from leaving. He's on Tatooine! Smack out on the far end of nowhere, the fact that someone owned his butt is irelevant. Same with Luke, his Uncle wouldn't let him leave, and lived on the same planet. Being a slave on Tatooine makes little or no difference, since being free is entirely relative when you consider, where would they go. To another town? One desert city is pretty much the same as another. Of planet? Doubtful unless he stowed away. Or told some freighter captain, 'I can fix or build anything' and these off world, but shackled to a hyperdrive. Besides, Anakin didn't really want to leave, since that would mean leaving his mother.

Watto betted on Sebulba and laughed when he tried to kill Anakin. That is not friendly.

True enough.

And how do we know he didn't beats Anakin? (In the book, it says he beats him all the time. And they went hungry when Watto lost money betting and couldn't afford it.) Watto is a rotten person. Anyone who owns a slave is a morally bankrupt loser. JMHO......

Didn't know that.

9. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    Yea but Luke wouldn't be killed if he left on his own. He was staying out of respect for the people who raised him. That or Maybe he needed the Lars money to go to the academy. Either way he could leave with out being killed.

10. Darth_Reign

Darth_Reign Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2001

He is a hidious cripple forced to use artificial senses and cybernetic limbs to survive. Yeah I feel sorry for him.

11. hanshootsfirst

hanshootsfirst Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 20, 2001
    I think we're meant to have pity for Anakin, but his story will be more of an object lesson than a melodrama.

Furthermore, he will apparently engage in sexual congress with Nathalie Portman...so...sympathy...window...out you go...

12. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    No I dont have sympathy for him. He's a fictional character. ;)

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    In a word: No.

Anakin got out, he got off Tattooine, millions in SW live pointless lives and die; Anakin got out and had a chance and sqanders it.

He then ends up using cybernetics to live after getting roasted following being defeated by ObiWan in a duel. Anakin pays the price of going dark.

The question is being burnt alive and living the remainder of his life as a cripple sufficient desert? Given his acts, no. Anakin destroys the Jedi and helps create the Empire that kills billions.

Jedi Ben

14. Quiwan

Quiwan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    "Since he was a Jedi, he wasn't allowed to marry the hottest chick in the galaxy."

I'd have to agree with this... I'd go to the dark side for her too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.