main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does anyone here like The Black Fleet Crisis trilogy?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediYvette , Oct 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 181st Fighter Wing

181st Fighter Wing Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2000
    I loved the Yevetha storyline (with the exception of Leia being written very badly written in the first 2 books). A great millitary/political thriller. Nil Spar is the best EU villian since Thrawn.

The vagabond storyline was good, but didn't tie in with the other two at all.

The White current storyline was just plain awfull. As if one mystical power (the force) wasn't enough...

And did anyone really think for a minute that Luke would find his mom? Not me!

2. MAD6121

MAD6121 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 18, 2000
    I like them. They are some of the BEST EU out there.

3. dark_jedi

dark_jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 10, 2001
    are you kidding me, black fleet rules!
    you can never get enough of Lobot!

4. RogueJaina

RogueJaina Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2001
    The Leia part was half decent. Other than that, I'd like to forget the whole thing. Actually, I've done a pretty good job of it. I hardly remember any of it, and that makes me hapoy.

5. Galleon

Galleon Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 26, 2001
    Far from my favorite books but I have read a few worse. The whole Luke and White Current stuff really bugged me, And I'm not even going into how much I hated Lando's story.

6. _JM_

_JM_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    I quite enjoyed the books.

The whole Yvetha plotline depressed me slightly, they were genocidal expansionists and Leia still had problems initiating even diplomatic action against them. One of the first signs of the return to the inaction of the Old Republic by the New.
    I did like the details of the Fifth Fleet and I also liked Mon Motha giving Luke a dressing-down (pointing out that just as Leia has Jedi talents she isn't using Luke has diplomatic talents he wasn't using).

The Luke/White Current plotline was somewhat dissapointing as there didn't seem to be any real insights or revelations. Luke didn't learn anything more about his mother and it took Mara to get him to realise he was skirting the dark side.

The Vagabond/Lando plotline was enjoyable but (as with the Luke/White Current) it felt like a distraction than an integral part of the plot.

All in all I think the three plots had too little to do with each other. Aside from the use of a White Current illusion to try to dissuade the Yvetha and then the successful use of one by Luke to hide the Vagabond they seemed like different books.

But good books which don't deserve the kind of vitriol that has been thrown at them.

7. KansasNavy

KansasNavy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    Fifth Fleet: K-wing, Commodore Brand, Intrepid, New Class Ships, military tactics that rely on skill, not luck. The Battle of N'zoth would've been incredibly cool. How many ships, 300 or so, in it? It described it that there was not a single point=of-view where you could see the eniter battle. Yevetha were great bad guys, who were well-written, and had weaknesses to exploit.

8. Muke_Skywalker

Muke_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2000
    Leia/Han/Chewie/Yevetha only reasons to buy those three books.

Luke/Lando/The Fifth Fleet bored the crap out of me. I found the political machinations more interesting than the military ones.

To be honest I couldnt tell most of the military guys apart, too generic, except for Etahn Abaht I was lost. The characters names were.. this is gonna sound stupid.. too alien. I just got a bit confused and it ruined part of my enjoyment of the thing.

I really did like how Leias character was finally shown being a president and facing a real presidential crisis. She nearly went the way of Valorum.

BTW did it piss anybody else off when Kristine Kathryn Rusch did a dumbed down ripoff of BFC when she did The New Rebellion?

I really loved the scenes with Chewie and Lumpy, Wookie combat is terrifying. Chewies grand heroism in Tyrants Test makes me miss him all the more. :(

9. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I thought the Black Fleet Crisis was awesome. I was not that interested in the Luke and his mother thing, and I thought the Fallanassi were stupid and annoying. The Lando subplot with the Vagabond ship thing was alright but I was really interested in the political and military side of things. I thought Kube-McDowell did a wonderful job with this and with most of the characterizations. Most of it FELT like Star Wars, which is more than I can say for the Hambly crap that preceded this in the timeline.

10. LordCroesus

LordCroesus Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 15, 2001
    I quite enjoyed it, though at some points it was a bit tedious.

11. Yuuzhan_Commando

Yuuzhan_Commando Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 11, 2001
    I like the BFC, it was good, politics were my favorite topic, my old school was so good at it that--
    Thats off topic. the politics were nice, and Luke gettin some was nice ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.