main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does anyone in America really care that Beckham is playing here now?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Armenian_Jedi, Aug 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Let's not go into personal attacks and calling people stupid and missing brain cells, ok?

2. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I shouldn't have been rude, and I really didn't mean it. I guess that's what skipping dinner does for you.;)

3. SueAsideRide

SueAsideRide Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 5, 2000
    Y'know who's been skipping dinner is that Mrs. Beckham character.

[image=http://wwwc.aftonbladet.se/noje/0002/20/POSH.jpg]

Yikes!

4. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    We in England certainly don't care Beckham is playing in America now, but we can't seem to get away from being bombarded with news about how he hasn't particularly played at all :( We feel your pain, but from a different perspective.

5. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
  6. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    I'd watch, but I have an appointment to drown myself in my toilet later.

7. JMJacenSolo

May 21, 2006
    Did you actually click the link? ;)

8. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    no... but I will now.

EDIT: lol :p

9. a. block

a. block Jedi Master star 1

Oct 1, 1999
    I don't think Beckham will do a whole lot; maybe a short surge. I watched a few games last weekend of the EPL, and couldnt believe how fast the play is, especially when watching Man U and seeing Ronaldo and Rooney just running balls out. And they sustained that pace for the whole game. And then I watched American football, and I think the only thing slower than American football is paint drying. Living in Central Ohio I get bombarded by American football, but every year that passes, I find it more and more boring and not understanding why people get so excited for a sport that has between 12-15 minutes of action spread over 3 hours.

10. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    It's a thinking man's game... don't blame yourself, not everyone's a thinker.

11. a. block

Oct 1, 1999
    Thinking is the last thing those players do, hence coaches having to tell them every play.

12. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    That's the beauty of American football: as the game progresses, every play becomes incredibly important as the clock ticks and tension mounts. And there is plenty of 'inaction' during soccer games anyway.

13. a. block

Oct 1, 1999
    That's the beauty of American football: as the game progresses, every play becomes incredibly important as the clock ticks and tension mounts.

I think that is probably true of most sports, and probably why people like whatever sports that they do like.

14. LeiaFlip

LeiaFlip Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2007
    If anything, I think Americans care more about David Beckham than they care about soccer itself.

15. SueAsideRide

SueAsideRide Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 5, 2000
    Since she's the only Beckham North Americans actually care about, I dug up a more recent picture of Posh Spice.

Posh-linky

16. JMJacenSolo

May 21, 2006
    Okay, veering dangerously off-topic but

Barry Bonds Rookie Card

17. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Funny as they are, let's stay on topic.

18. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    But the gap in between plays is great for building anxiety. :p

It's sort of like waiting for penalty kicks. BTW, it's a terrible way to end the game, just as a bad as winning the toss in OT and kicking a 50 yarder to win the game. Sure, the defense has to stop you, but it still feels cheap.

19. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    In soccer anxiety grows as the game gets closer to the end, the team who is one goal behind will push everyone forward and usually will mhave a mulititude of almost goals and sometimes a goal

20. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    I agree with you about penalty kicks, but I think they are more similar to the college football system of overtime. It completely changes the game and the offense is going to score almost every time. NFL overtime and the time teams get after 90 minutes in those big soccer tourneys are more similar in that the game continues in the same fashion it has. If a team wants to win, it has to play defense and it has to be able to push the ball forward.

21. a. block

Oct 1, 1999
    I agree with pretty much everything. I guess I messed up by not responding exactly to the question... in some ways I dont think Beckham playing here will make too many people care. But... me personally, I actually have started watching more football again. I watched a few games of the opening weekend of the EPL and it really did blow my mind. The pace was so fast, even just watching on TV. And I watched LA last night and the game was much more sloppy, but I did appreciate Beckham's skills within the game. The little touches and passes and all that.
    I personally dont mind if someone or body doesnt like football, we all have our opinions, and that is all good and well. I just prefer people be open minded to criticism about why someone likes or doesnt like the particulars of a said sport. And just people saying things like "its a thinking man's game" or "it's a tougher game" doesn't really do it for me. So I say, bless you all who like and love the sports you do like and follow, just keep an open mind about why others like other sport you might not care or think about.

p.s. penalites ARE terrible. football needs to find a better solution. we dont have basketball games ending with free throw competition or baseball with a home run winner.

22. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    If you missed it, Beckham scored is first goal in a Galaxy uniform against D.C. United the other night.

Link

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.