main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Does anyone in the Republic/ Jedi Council wonder what Palpatine's doing when he's not in his office?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by deadly jp, Oct 21, 2017.

1. deadly jp

deadly jp Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 27, 2014
    As Palpatine the most important person in the republic and the governing body of the republic, doesn't anyone wonder when his not in office what his doing? Doesn't he have to have the most security and to be followed his every move?. For E.g. at the end of attack of the clones Palpatine is in his Darth Sidious disguise with Count Dooku but not in the office so no one in the jedi council or republic is wondering where Palpatine is at that time or what his doing?

Surely they don't let Palpatine just travel on his own, as if they watch his every move and followed him they could of suspect what his true intentions was.

2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That's what the guards are for. Not Jedi.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The Royal Imperial Guard which replaced the Senate Guard, obey Palpatine without question. So they won't go with him unless he orders them to. As to other situations such as going to the Works building to meet with Dooku, he had probably retired to his personal quarters and then left through a private exit that kept people from finding out he was gone. And when he went to confront Maul and Savage, he probably went at night and, or had the Senate adjourned for day or two and left in a similar manner.

4. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    That's stupid. The SS never lets a head of state out of their sight, unless it's standing right outside the door while they eat/sleep/copulate. Even then they certainly check in every couple of minutes. Their role is NOT to obey the head of state without question; their role is to protect them above all else including NOT following orders that compromise that security. It's just a little plot hole better left alone than make outlandish pretend reasons why it made sense. Just like how it doesn't make sense that every inhabitant of Tatooine wasn't dead by age 30 from skin cancer.

5. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    Even by AOTC, Palpatine already had the blue senate guards replaced with his own red guard who as far as I know were in on the whole sith scheme with him.

darklordoftech likes this.
  6. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Good lord, it is not a plot hole. Stop trying to twist everything into something it isn't.

Just because the Secret Service does things in a certain way most definately does not mean that every guard in the history of earth has acted in such a fashion. In fact, it is rather absurd to suggest it has even been the standard. It hasn't even been the standard for the security detail of the US presidents in the countries entire existence, much less at every government this planet has ever seen.
    Even if the guards would feel the need to always be in close proximity to Palpatine, which has hardly been the standard, that doesn't mean that they are literally always around him. That doesn't even include the possibility that the personal guards have no problems whatsoever with what Palpatine is doing. There have been plenty of utterly diabolical rulers in history, yet they always found people to guard themself when they felt to need for such a protection. Such guards would also be capable to excuse their master while he is unavailable. All of which doesn't even create the need for the guards to know absolutely everything.

As for Tatooine: you mean like all humans living in deserts on earth die by age 30 from skin cancer?
    That's such an absurd thing to say.

7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The Royal Guard are loyal to Palpatine, not the Senate. They obey his orders or Vader's, if necessary. Though those are mostly ones loyal only to him, as we see on Mustafar. That is why Palpatine was protected by the Royal Guard and not the Senate Guard, who we see in AOTC and ROTS, as well as TCW. As we saw in TCW, Palpatine is alone when he confronted Maul and Savage on Mandalore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He only takes troops with him if he so desires.

[​IMG]

Such as when he went to meet with Dooku after he returned home.

[​IMG]

In the case of Mustafar, he chose to take them as he didn't know how many Jedi were there and he concluded that he may need them at the very least to aid Vader.

Master_Rebado and StartCenterEnd like this.
  8. StartCenterEnd

May 2, 2006
    Yep. As we see in ROTJ, he can dismiss them on any whim even when in dangerous close proximity of a Jedi (Luke). "Guards, leave us!"

9. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Good question.

It's possible that he is able to sneak off for a few hours without anyone noticing. Perhaps he is able to get away while he is supposed to be sleeping, or relaxing during leisure time.

10. StartCenterEnd

May 2, 2006
    I'm not sure if this is still canon but in the audio commentary for Attack of the Clones, George Lucas talks about how because of one crisis or another (I assume related in some way to the secessionist issue), Palpatine has already managed to increase his executive powers and even surpass his term limit by AOTC. I assume the red guards are included in this legalized executive overreach.

darklordoftech and Master_Rebado like this.
  11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    He stays in his office, while his clone, Sidious, does all of the dirty work.

12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

In AOTC, he agreed to a vote to stay on longer than the two term limit. In ROTS, he's gained more powers and has chosen not to step down. The people ask him to stay on and he does.

13. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    It's not a plot hole in the least.

The only "outlandish pretend reasons" being created are those that want to make it one.

We never saw Darth Vader sleep therefore he must never had slept.

Clearly a massive plot hole that was never addressed.

14. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Of course it does, that's how guarding works.
    Earth doesn't have two suns. Either you don't know how cancer works or you don't know what absurd means.

That isn't relevant. By that time he is a galactic dictator. Guards of a democratic head of state would operate much differently.
    When in doubt, deflect, deflect, deflect!

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    If they are slightly dimmer than ours and slightly further away from Tatooine than our Sun is from Earth, then the total amount of UV radiation received may not be significantly higher than on Earth - especially if they take precautions.

Jedi Knight Fett and Dandelo like this.
  16. StartCenterEnd

May 2, 2006
    They are the same type of guard. By AOTC Palpatine was already building up his executive powers.

17. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    It's also...a movie...

Seagoat and Deliveranze like this.
  18. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    That has used really bad science

Seagoat likes this.
  19. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    No, one was Republic, and one was Imperial.
    Might be going over some peoples heads here, but that was exactly what I was getting at. If there is anyplace to do it, it's on here I guess, but I just find it stupid/fascinating that there are people who can do enough mental gymnastics to pretend that even in a fictional universe it makes sense that the head of state can come and go as he please and lead a double life as an evil supervillain.

My analogy that it is like asking why people on Tatooine didn't get skin cancer; was then followed by people clawing at arguments as to why people on Tatooine don't get skin cancer.:rolleyes:

20. StartCenterEnd

May 2, 2006
    If it's just a movie and nothing is worth discussing then we might as well close down this forum.

I can't speak for anyone else but I enjoy immersing myself in fictional universes and trying to understand the internal logic. It makes it more believable to me and feels compelling.

Humans in the GFFA may have evolved to survive in various different environments including deserts baked by twin suns.

I think we already cleared up that Palpatine had already increased his executive powers by the time of AOTC and already had his own guard which was the red guards he commanded and they followed his every order.

21. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I suppose if you want an IU explanation then I suppose you could say that the guards were all "in on it" just as Mas Amedda and Sly Moore were.

Also we are talking about a universe here where nearly everyone is absolutely gullible and believe anything another tells them without question (see the many conversations between Palps and Anakin) if Palpatine said "right I'm off to bed, you are relieved off your duties for the night" they would have done so. It's the nature of these movies...you know a a fairy tale set in space. Which is always what it was.

22. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I recall in Legends Palpatine worked hard to avoid scandal and cultivate the image as a workaholic sort of politician. At the same time I doubt the general public cared much for what the Chancellor did in his private time.

23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The point I was trying to make is that the skin cancer rate would only be a bit higher than the real-world rate - and that "everyone dies of skin cancer by thirty" is a massive overexaggeration.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  24. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    No, that's what you pretend is how guarding works. Again, you went of the completely absurd assumption that what the Secrret Service currently does is somehow how all guards in the history of mankind have been protecting their leader, and that is just complete nonsense.

And another line without any meaning. Having two suns on its own doesn't tell you how much radiation actually arrives on the planet. You have little idea about the atmosphere, nor do you know what kind of traits beings living on Tatooine have developed to cope with the sun. In other words, you are just making up further bogus reasons to attack the movie. You do realize that there is this thing called evolution, which can lead to beings developing (for better or worse) in all sorts of directions, some of which could enable them to better withstand the circumstances of their surroundings, yes?

You do not give a single reason why they would. Again, you are going off the bogus assumption that what the Secret Serviced is currently doing is also what has been the standard for guards everywhere at any time, when the complete opposite is actually the case. Beyond that, the red guards are his guard, not the senate guard. You failed completely to take that into account, as you did when it came to the idea that his guards might actually let him have some space because they actually have at least some sort of idea of who he actually is. Mas Amedda also knows about Palpatine's true identity, yet he is perfectly fine with it. These kind of cunning leaders tend to have followers who show blind obedience to them.

When incapable of arguing against the counter-arguments given, ignore, ignore, ignore.
    All you seem to do is make up the most ridiculous reasons why something in these particular movies is supposedly incorrect. With a complete disregard for facts, and a hyprocritical behaviour when it comes to other parts of the franchise.

sizziano and Qui-Riv-Brid like this.
  25. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    They assumed he was secretly hooking up with Marilyn Monroe or Monica Lewinsky when he didn't want security watching him closely. I mean, he's *human*. He still needs his own private time or he'll go crazy. Some even reported hearing a cackle coming from Palp's private rooms. The reaction was "this guy works so hard. He needs a vacation and time to recharge. If that means Marilyn or Monica, then that's between two consenting adults and none of our business. And some say he was spotted with an old, white haired gentleman. We aren't homophobes. Doesn't change anything. His personal business."

Kenneth Morgan likes this.