main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Does anyone in the Republic/ Jedi Council wonder what Palpatine's doing when he's not in his office?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by deadly jp, Oct 21, 2017.

1. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    He got his own private guard specifically so he could have people guarding him who'd do whatever he told them to and wouldn't ask questions. If he tells them to leave so he can be alone, they probably assume he's doing some shady politician stuff that he doesn't want to leak out, and they don't care.

Dannik Jerriko likes this.
  2. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    "So, Bob, you've been wondering what Palpatine's been doing during his off-hours. Well, let me put it this way. The man has a tough job. Technically, he's never off-duty. He's always doing his job, and that sometimes involves things far above our security level. Don't worry; I'm sure somebody is keeping an eye on him. But, that's not our concern. You just stick to your job and and I'll stick to mine and he'll stick to his. Everything's fine in our little corner of the Universe, and that's all that matters. Still, it was good that you came to me with your concerns. In fact, I think maybe you should be in line for a promotion. Big raise, nice transfer to Centares, even an Academy scholarship plan for your kids. How do you feel about that?"

Or...

"Have you told anyone else about your concerns? Nobody? Good move. This is not something we need to spread around. We better talk about this privately on board my personal ship. Let's go through the airlock. No, please, after you. Now, which button do I push? WHOOPS!"

3. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    So the convenient answer is that prior to being Chancellor, nobody cared. After becoming Chancellor, before the outbreak of war even, that Palpatine wasnt accountable for his movements.

So there must have been quite a widely involved conspiracy to protect Palatine, because a man in his position is accountable for all their movements. The true purpose of any movement made by him could only be legitimately concealed if it was official business and it was vital for galactic security.

Sneaking out the back door.[face_waiting] Oh brother!

4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wouldn't be surprised if a secret passageway connects Palpatine's office to The Works.

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

That was similar to how Labyrinth of Evil handled it in Legends (not his office, but his home in the 500 Republica building) - they trail Sidious's traces from The Works to 500 Republica - and (during the invasion of Coruscant) the clone investigators come on a room under it where Sidious is talking with Geonosians. They end up dead (though the investigator does recognise that "The Sith have infiltrated the highest level of government" before he dies.)

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    There's a secret passageway that connects Frank's office with all of the bars of Coruscant.

7. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    And did Palpatine begin scooping this secret passageway out of the Chancellory the first night after he was elected, with a big poster of Shmi on the wall to hide it?

8. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Never said that, you literally just put made up words in my mouth.

No no. I would never question the almighty movie.

A democratic guard answers to a set of principles and rules set by an elected government. A dictatorial guard answers to the whims of one person. Any other questions?

I didn't make up this thread. The OP did.
    Yes I was purposely blowing it out of proportion, certainly not being literal.

9. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Quite. My point exactly.

So why go with all these deflections?

It's not a plot hole so why should we make outlandish pretend reasons why it doesn't make sense?

In ANH we are never told why Vader didn't take his mask off. So by this standard then that is clearly a "plot hole".

There is of course one slight problem with anything to do with Palpatine and Sidious.

In the actual story itself we aren't told that they are one and the same until ROTS.

Outside the onscreen story itself to that point we know they are the same person just as outside the onscreen story we know that Vader is a cyborg. It's not actually told to us until ROTJ that he is a cyborg.

In TESB for all we know he is an alien who needs the breathing apparatus.

In pure story terms that Palpatine and Sidious are one and the same is a question. The Emperor was never called Palpatine in the movies so we could not be totally sure they were one and the same anymore than we could say that Obi-Wan found and trained Anakin. Obi-Wan didn't find Anakin which we would have been 100% sure of before the PT but that turned out to be incorrect.

10. RodgerCools

RodgerCools Jedi Youngling

Oct 21, 2017
    There was a story called "Sithisis" that showed what Palpatine would do on his day off. In short, ancient Sith majicks were his hobby. Towards the end Imperial guards are shown turning a blind eye to what the Chancellor did in his free time.

Here's a link to the short comic: https://imgur.com/gallery/lmeky

11. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Qui-Riv-Brid only you can defend the honor of the saga!

12. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    It's hidden behind the bookcase. You open with the switch hidden in the bust of Plagueis, next to the red comlink.

13. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I think maybe Palpatine had his own special set of "rules" when it came to his imperial guards, cos after all he was a Sith-and he could handle just about any kind of threat that came his way. It would be like Yoda having a bodyguard.

I figured he just used them as figureheads for image reasons, and to help intimidate the various imperial officers and help enforce Palpatine's expectations in his absence.

Honestly, they're movies-so IMO it's anyone's guess or up to their own "head canon" as far as what they do when Palpatine has free time or sleeps, etc...

Not to mention I don't really think it matters all that much-at least to me.....;)

14. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

The Royal Guard, which replaced the Senate Guard, were loyal to Palpatine. Not the Senate. Ergo, they will not question his actions. The other Senators have no idea that he went to Mandalore by himself. They assumed he was still on Coruscant, just sequestered in his apartment for the night. It was close to dusk when Palpatine finally senses Maul and orders his shuttle ready. He is in his office when he does this. As to going to the Works, yes, there was a private exit that he used to go there. Constructed during the ten year period between TPM and AOTC. And yes, the President of the US can leave the White House without the press corp knowing it, by going out a different door and taking a different route than normally used.

Which is what the Royal Guard were, a dictatorial guard that answers to Palpatine, not the Senate.

Don't forget the poles. ;)

15. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    The guards aren't the only ones who would be keeping tabs on Palpatine at all times. There would be a lot of other people to account for. Some of them, like Mas Amedda, were also in on it, but not all of them.

16. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Everyone that was in his administration was in on it, or enough to not question him and to keep everyone else off of his tail. Trips to the Works and Mandalore were rare, which is why he did so sparingly. He kept contact with Dooku, Grievous and the Separatist Council via his holo transmitter in his private office.

17. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    That's dumb. Administrations have leaks. If the President was secretly running Al-Quaeda someone would snitch to the media. aka Palps running the CIS.

Martoto77 likes this.
  18. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Dear God, do you mean to tell me this whole series of films is nothing more than an elaborate fiction? Ring the papers at once!

sizziano and Qui-Riv-Brid like this.
  19. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    darth-sinister we're not talking about the Empire. We're talking about the Republic. So what has the royal guard got to do with it.

A big conspiracy makes the Jedi's complacency about internal threats even more absurd.

And we're not talking about the press knowing. We're talking about many people in the Republic, in Coruscant, knowing that Palpatine is a crook.

20. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Okay but people here do not have that retort. They are rationalizing the plot point by saying everyone in his administration was in on it. I have a shocker for you; if you don't want to discuss SW as a work of fiction you're in the wrong place.

Martoto77 likes this.
  21. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I had never really considered this point before. In TPM, Palpatine was a humble Senator and would have enjoyed more freedom of movement whilst laying the groundwork for his future ambitions. After his ascent to the office of Chancellor, his movements would have been under much closer scrutiny, especially since he became the de facto Commander-in-Chief of the Republic forces in a galaxy-spanning war of secession. He would, ostensibly, have been a prime target for assassination. I can't imagine that his security detail would have cheerfully waved him off as he jumped into his personal shuttle and whizzed off to an undisclosed destination.

Honestly, I don't know how Palpatine achieved enough "me time" to carry out his various machinations and clandestine meetings. I'm just going to put it down to his being extremely clever and manipulative. Perhaps he personally selected and indoctrinated his security detail. Perhaps he used some form of mind trick or force-conditioning in order to stop them asking too many questions. I imagine that Mas Amedda was able to cover for him when he missed the occasional meeting.

22. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    He would need to have had a large conspiracy behind him in Coruscant - which would have been almost impossible to conceal, and prone to exposure from the Jedi for more than ten years. So it would also take an involuntary conspiracy of plain incompetence and complacency from the entire order of Jedi also based on Coruscant.

23. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    I like this line of thought. It actually makes sense.

Well done youngling.

Dannik Jerriko and Dandelo like this.
  24. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    along similar lines of this thread I always wondered when Palps had time to sleep or even have "down time"

but I guess that is a different thread :p

truly wonderful the mind of a newbie is

:p

Dannik Jerriko and heels1785 like this.
  25. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    If Palpatine uses the force to keep so many people stupid, how is that not detectable by the Jedi?