main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does anyone know about SW refrences on Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by DarthFx3, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthFx3

DarthFx3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2003
    I thought I read something about on a Dr Who ep, i think the christmas special, if one even exists. Let me know if you know anything about this

2. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Hmmmm...nothing comes straight to mind. Certainly can't think of anything in either of the Christmas Specials.

3. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    I seem to recall in that episode set on the space station watching the end of the Earth (the one with Zoe Wannamaker as the stretched out bit of skin?), those wee droid things skittering through the air ducts looked like a cross between Ep.I Pit Droids and the Sentinels from the Matrix. But I put that down to lazy design :p
    Other than that there could well have been the kind of script references to R2/Vader that most shows throw in (Holby City and True Dare Kiss are two that leap to mind), but I don't recall seeing or hearing anything that made me notice (and I usually do, like most folks round here.)

I'm very civilian when it comes to Dr.Who. Although one of my best mates is a hardcore Whovian, and he's civilian when it comes to SW, so it balances out :p

4. DarthFx3

Dec 3, 2003
    I've been trying to remember what i read. It was like a refrence to the destruction of the DS i think.

5. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    Can I interest you in a Back to the Future reference? When the Doctor uses that to explain temporal physics (is that the right term?) to Martha during "The Shakespeare Code".

6. DarthFx3

Dec 3, 2003
    REALY?!!?! interesting. i think thats cool, creating a larger universe by tieing in other things

7. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    The Doctor's hand got cut off by a sword in The Christmas Invasion way back in 2005. A slight Empire moment -- and the hand is later used to rapidly age the Doctor as part of a plot by the Master, similar to how Joruus C'Baoth cloned Luke through his hand.

8. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    Also the Torchwood weapon destroying the alien ship in that episode where the hand gets cut off is modelled after how the Death Star superlaser firing looks like.

9. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    Ah, yeah. Knew I'd forgotten something from that ep. Also, not a reference, but the Futurekind in this year's Utopia reminded me of Darth Maul: feral humans, all tatoos and teeth. And pretty much just comprised of a menacing appearance that's completely superflous to the larger story. [face_plain]

10. DaveW

DaveW Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jul 18, 1998
    The most recent episode "Last of the Time Lords" has a pyre scene for the cremation of The Master that is, if not a homage, then complete plagiarism.

11. Darth_Shpydar

Darth_Shpydar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 31, 2006
    Um, thanks a lot. Here in the US, we're only up to the first episiode with The Master. :oops:

12. 1000Faces

1000Faces Jedi Youngling

Sep 19, 2007
    Yeah, the pyre scene is clearly an homage to RotJ. Dr.Who regularly references pop culture so Star Wars references are to be expected.

The Who's been great since its return but with the second half of the third series the quality of the writing has been awesome. 'Blink' in particular was just brilliant. These kinds of time travel ideas have been done before, but this was the best I've ever seen it done. I really hope they can keep the standard up, but I'm a little sceptical about the return of Catherine Tate for the 4th series.

I saw the 'Sarah Jane Adventures' yesterday. K-9's not in it. What's that all about?

13. Darth_Shpydar

Oct 31, 2006
    "Blink" was absolutely superb, one of my fave eps since the relaunch of the show. I love The Doctor's "time-wimey things" explanation (heh, or lack thereof). It's a very cool concept -- that things like time and space are in reality so vast and beyond the limited mortal comprehension of humans.

Of course, this also works as a nifty cheat to not get bogged down with details in the writing! :p [face_peace]

14. 1000Faces

1000Faces Jedi Youngling

Sep 19, 2007

True, but it also ties in with at least some of the views physicists have about time and causality (not an area of expertise for me, sadly). 'Heroes' (we're half way through the first series in the UK) seems to be wrestling with some similar ideas.

15. Darth_Shpydar

Oct 31, 2006
    Yes, Heroes also has done decently with time travel ... i won't spoil anything, but the first episode of the second season/series also introduces some more interesting stuff via Hiro's time traveling.

As a general rule, i think it's a great concept -- and something Einstien postulated, at least in passing -- that despite mankind's belief that we know and understand general laws of the universe (nothing faster than the speed of light, etc, etc), we may in fact be completely wrong -- or at least not have even close to having the whole picture. :-B

16. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    Tough luck. It's not a spoiler anymore as it aired over 3 months ago.
    People are free to talk about BSG and Lost even if they haven't aired in places other than America, so it's no different if the roles are reversed.

17. 1000Faces

1000Faces Jedi Youngling

Sep 19, 2007
    ''Tough luck. It's not a spoiler anymore as it aired over 3 months ago.
    People are free to talk about BSG and Lost even if they haven't aired in places other than America, so it's no different if the roles are reversed. ''

That seems a little unnecesary. As no one else seems to be going to, I'll apologise for the spoiler on behalf of the rather rude citizens of the UK (turnaround is not fair play). I would like to point out that I did not mention the pyre till it had already been spoiled for you (by accident I'm sure). Hope you enjoy the season finale.

18. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    What's unnecessary about it? I've been spoiled about a few deaths in Lost because of people mentioning them in other threads. And suddenly when the roles are reversed it's not ok to post old spoilers? Nup. Not happening.

19. Darth_Shpydar

Oct 31, 2006
    What was unnecessary was your rude and flippant response to my mentioning of the spoiler.

I don't actually care about being spoiled, i'm still going to watch the show. I just happened to mention it. I never even said it "wasn't ok" Then in response, you had to be a git. Uncalled for.

20. El Kabong

El Kabong Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 28, 1999
    It's not Doctor Who, but over on Torchwood one of the special guest baddies of the week got the "Help me Obi-wan" line when sending a hologram to Captain Jack.

Given Ten's love of pop culture, I cant imagine that it'll be too long before we get a nod of the head in the parent show too.

21. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    Well, we got a nod in the second issue of the comic released by IDW Publishing. Does that count?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.