main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does anyone know of a good industrial paint remover?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Montorok, Sep 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Montorok

Montorok Jedi Youngling

Jul 28, 2005
    I need to remove some paint off my Storm Trooper helmet that won't damage the ABS plastic. I posted a message up on the 501st forums but no one's responded in a week and a half. Anyone here know of a good industrial paint remover? Or any suggestions?

2. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    What kind of paint? Enamel, watercolor, latex, ???

tried rubbing alchohol?

denatured alchohol?

gentle acetate? (be very careful--I don't know what the finish on the helmet is made from, but acetate can be nasty on shiney finishes)

another posibility (don't laugh too much) is peanut butter. It gets duct-tape resin off--might work. Besides, it will make you irresistable to squirrels!

3. master-Corran-horn

master-Corran-horn Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2005
    Just go to your local autozone,or other parts store, they should have a selection of different products for you to try. Read the sides of the products and the cans will tell if you can use it on your material. I didn't know about the peanut butter though, I'll have to try that one. Thanks koohii. er... just in case, what will remove the peanut butter?, besides squirrels.[face_laugh]

4. VillieGee

VillieGee Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Uh.. I think you mean acetone. Acetone is a solvent, acetate is a sheet of clear plastic that they make overheads from.

5. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Acetone. Dang. Knew I had it wrong, but couldn't remember the correct word. THanks.

As for removing the peanut butter: try an elephant tongue (getting the elephant's permission shouldn't be too hard).

6. Montorok

Montorok Jedi Youngling

Jul 28, 2005
    Thanks for the replies. It does say it contains Acetone and Xylene. Although if I do remove it from the helmet, it'll be okay since I'll be reapplying a different color. I just need to figure out how to get it off. I'm kind of scared if I use something that's not good for hard plastic (ABS plastic) it may eat it up or something.

This is the paint I used.

I don't think the armor has any finish to it. I think ABS plastic is naturally glossy. But I have no idea really. This is all new to me.

I did see something about using "Easy Off" on a website. Have any of you all used that before?

7. electrakitty

electrakitty Jedi Master star 2

Apr 27, 2005
    If you use acetone, make sure you use it in a very well-ventilated room or outside or use a chemical respirator. That stuff's nasty.

8. VillieGee

Oct 30, 2002
    If I'm thinking of the same thing, Easy Off is an oven cleaner. Some people like it cuz it's easy on the plastic. But you kind of have to put it in a bag while the fumes and chemicals eat at the paint.

There's a million paint strippers out there. There's a citrus-based one (forget the name) that works like a dream. I read in a magazine that someone used the citrus stripper with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and the primer (which nothing could remove) wiped off instantly.

Anything you try though, use it on a test piece or the inside to see if the plastic melts.

9. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    goo gone is another possibility

10. VillieGee

Oct 30, 2002
    Goo Gone is for mild adhesives, not paint removal.

11. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Maybe I'm thinking of "Goof Off"

One of those G cleaners. ;)

I have a ton of different cleansers from cleaning apartments. If one doesn't work, I have a whole string of others handy & move onto the next.

12. Montorok

Montorok Jedi Youngling

Jul 28, 2005
    Good news, I managed to get the paint off the helmet so now I can color the teeth the correct...or rather, close to the correct, color.

I bought Easy-Off, some sort of Degreaser, and got a jar of peanut butter handy. I planned on trying them all at least once, if one failed, so I cut out an extra slip of ABS plastic, painted and dried it, then applied the Easy-Off first. Turns out it worked like a charm and had no ill effects to the plastic. So there was no need to try my second or thrid option and besides I ended up eating the thrid option anyway.

Thanks for the help. I shall go back to my armor assembling.

13. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    congradulations. Glad my suggestions were of some minor use, even if not as intended.

Happy armoring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.