main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Does anyone know what is up with Richard Roeper?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Luukeskywalker, Nov 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    If anyone here recalls, Reoper gave AOTC a good review back in 2002. Roger Ebert ripped the movie and Reoper stepped in and defended the movie, gave it a glowing review, and didn't have anything bad to say about it at all.

Fast forward to 2005. During Roeper's on air review of ROTS (which he gave even higher praise to than he did to AOTC 3 years earlier), he seemed to take a swipe at AOTC saying that "Revenge of the Sith has what neither of the last two movies had any of....and that is a heart."

OK fair enough, he clearly did a 180 on AOTC (I figured he just had a change of heart), but he seemed to love ROTS and even said that McDiarmid gave an Oscar caliber performance, so I was happy about that,

Fast forward yet again to last week. The Disney deal with Lucasfilm was announced and Episode VII officially was given the green light publically. I happen to follow Reoper on twitter and he tweeted the the following message last Tuesday evening after the news broke:

"Here's hoping Star Wars 7,8,and 9 are do-overs of Star Wars I, II, and III #Jarajar"

What the? I know the guy is entitled to change his opinion, but come on. This just wreaks to me yet another person in the media giving in to public perception of the PT. Its fashionable to hate them. Everyone seems to say it, so everyone just starts to believe it.

Here is a guy that I really admired since 2002 when he first gave AOTC a glowing review and stood up for it against Ebert's headscratching review, and spoke so highly of ROTS that he almost endorsed as an Oscar contender. Now this comment?

The public hating on these movies has gotten way out of hand and I am really disapointed in Roeper for turning his back on them too.

obi-rob-kenobi4 likes this.
  2. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
  3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Reminds me of Harry Knowles' complete 180 on Jar Jar... "wuving" him, then wanting to kill him.

obi-rob-kenobi4 likes this.
  4. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    It does not really matter.

Samnz likes this.
  5. Rotticus

Rotticus Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 21, 2012
    It really has become to trend to bash these movies...sad fact of the matter is ROTS was given a lot of great reviews and many satisfied fans but fast foreward to 2012 and everyone acts as if they want to forget. Jar Jar to me wasnt any worse than the Ewoks but i guess since they were in the OT its all good and dandy.

Samnz and obi-rob-kenobi4 like this.
  6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Everybody wants to be "cool".

Samnz and obi-rob-kenobi4 like this.
  7. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    Exactly. This is just one example.

All you have to do is pay attention (or at least do your homework) and you can see the negative social conditioning when it comes to Episodes 1,2 and 3 as clear as day. Its depressing how susceptible people are to pear pressure and forced trends.

I attended all 3 releases of the PT many, many times each (as well as the re-releases) and people were screaming at many different times during the exciting parts of ALL THREE films. Then they went on vhs and broke MORE sales records, then on dvd and MORE records and then finally premiered on television and broke MORE records with ratings!

ROTS was called "better than the original Star Wars!" by the New York times! It was shown at the prestigious cannes film festival and received a two minute standing ovation from THAT crowd of all people!

Some of the best reviews of Lucas's career came from ROTS.

In reality the films were MORE than a very solid success on every level.

8. JimRaynor55

JimRaynor55 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 26, 2005
    Movie criticism is the most useless profession out there. It'd be one thing if critics stuck to their guns and expressed individual opinions which were well supported by analysis and reasoning. But as Mr. Roeper shows, even a top tier critics have no problem with bandwagoning and flip flopping.

There are zero standards for movie critics. Most published reviews aren't even anything special when it comes to length or content. I've seen many forum posts with more depth of thought than I've seen from critics.

The average person doesn't even care to read reviews, so it's all pretty much irrelevant. I don't even know what critics are for. They don't perform any special service, and they don't speak for the common man. It's all about patting themselves on the back over their own subjective opinions.

9. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    This. A thousand times this.

10. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    He lost the Kessel Run.

11. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
Thread Status: