main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Does anyone know what role will Bad Robot play in this film?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by BoromirsFan, May 17, 2013.

1. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    wait..

this thread isn't about battle droids with a sense of humour?

oh well :p

2. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    <Credits Roll>

Nerd1: That was RUBBISH!
    Nerd2: Yeah! They didn't even explain why Han Solo got his ear pierced.
    Nerd1: Yeah! And that 2 second logo of a red robot running through a field. UGH! My childhood!
    Nerd2: YEAH!

Dasan, spicer, Graphic and 1 other person like this.
  3. Roger Goldleader

Roger Goldleader Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 1, 2000
    The latest I've heard is Disney will play its "Steamboat Willie" intro, too. I imagine with all the people/companies involved, we'll have about five minutes of logos before we ever get to "A long time ago...."

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  4. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    Dammit Jim, I'm a Doctor, not a droid punisher!!! ;)

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Writing aside, I think a big chunk of Bad Robot production and behind the scenes talent will be involved. Burk is already in, the costume designer from Abrams movies is in, just look at the cast list from Bad Robot's flicks and go down the line with a checklist. Keep eyes peeled for "April Webster" who has been casting every Bad Robot / JJ Abrams movie and TV show ever! http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0916825/ considering his movies and TV shows tend to have really good casting, that's a good thing.

Immortiss likes this.
  6. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Expect a Bad Robot logo at the start of the film.

Disney would be foolish to not let Abrams bring in as many Bad Robot people as he wanted - especially on this tight a schedule, you let the director work with people he knows, is comfortable with, and who understand how he thinks and what he expects. I think Kathy Kennedy is smart enough to stay out of Abrams's way as much as she can.

As for April Webster, good - probably the best thing about Abramstrek is that the casting has been perfect. There haven't been many casting missteps at all in Abrams productions. She also seems to have been the Casting Director for Bates Motel - whoever discovered Freddie Highmore and Vera Farmiga and put them in those roles won't get many complaints from me.

7. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    If it's a good story they'll probably step in and mess it up, I can see that happening :p

8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Well, I really don't think damn skippy Abrams is going to take a script he has zero input on and shoot it without working on it at all. He even said on the Stern show a few weeks ago that "The script is being written" not that "The script is done".

9. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Trust me you don't want Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof writing this movie.

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  10. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    The Bad Robot logo should only be able to appear at the beginning if it's been changed to this: http://www.whyworldwhy.com/bad-robot/

Also, a change of the name to Bad Lobot might be appropriate.

Sarge and TheManFromMortis like this.
  11. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

I can certainly imagine seeing a CGI Bad Robot appearing in the background of a scene somewhere in Episode VII. We all know how much directors like their little Easter Eggs.

Echo-07 likes this.
  12. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Bad Robot will be playing the part of a Sith Torture Droid. This will be the first occurrence of Android Method Acting in the history of cinema, just one of the high tech groundbreaking surprises JJ has in store for us!

FRAGWAGON and Echo-07 like this.
  13. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    With the Kathleen Kennedy wrapping up her speech at Celebration Europe, is anyone else concerned about "Bad Robots" involvement in EP7?

11:10: Typical day? Kennedy spends part of her time at Lucasfilm, then the rest of the week with Abrams and the writing team at Bad Robot. They do a lot of Skyping and sit in long, lengthy story meetings. “Great stuff is coming out of those discussions.” At the Presidio office of Lucasfilm, she is in Lucas’ old office. Lucas is still at Skywalker Ranch.

For some reason I was under the impression that Lucasfilm was heading up this production, not Bad Robot. This has always bothered me. The Lucasfilm team has been involved with Star Wars for more than 30 years. Abrams and Arndt should be going to the Lucasfilm team, not the other way around. What does the "Bad Robot" writing team know about Star Wars? Wouldn't all the content and continuity be housed at Lucasfilm and not Bad Robot? This sounds fishy to me..

14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    It's a JJ Abrams movie. He does his productions in-house at Bad Robot. Star Trek was owned by Paramount but they didn't chat with Paramount about the history of James T. Kirk, they did it all themselves, sent the script to Paramount, and Paramount footed the bill. I can see the same deal happening here.

15. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    I think its just more out of convenience. It makes sense that you would want Ardnt, Kinsberg, and Kasdan closer to Abrams than Kennedy. Producers don't(and shouldn't)get overtly involved with the "nuts and bolts" of the creative side. She has already done her end by getting the creative people in place. Now, she has to be the "go between" for the creative folks and the "suits."

16. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Too many cooks?

And Bad Robot is obviously a Pit Droid.

17. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    I guess my issue is I was under the impression Lucasfilm was producing EP7, which meant Abrams was on contract to be the director for "them". I'm just looking at a lot of relationships with the folks over at Lucasfilm that have been involved with all the previous Star Wars films: ILM, Ben Burtt, Nick Gillard, etc, etc, etc. Obviously Bad Robot could hire these folks, but they may use their own production crew. Again I think it's naive to believe you can just replace folks that have worked on a majority of the Star Wars films with "just anybody". We know John Williams will be composing, but you still have to look at other job positions and what they've brought to Star Wars over the years.

18. ray243

ray243 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 26, 2006
    I really dislike the bad robot's writing team. I am receptive of Arnt as a writer, but Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman really disappointed me in any Abrams' film I have watched/

19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    ILM is Lucasfilm and ILM works with Abrams on Star Trek, and same deal with Ben Burt who also works with Abrams. I can see them being used. Dunno if Nick Gillard ever worked on Bad Robot stuff or worked with Abrams. We've seen a mix of the two already, Williams coming back but Abrams is using his producer (Brian Burke) and his costume designer, etc. I'm guessing it'll be a mix of Lucasfilm alum and Bad Robot / Abrams movie staff, probably based on if they've worked with Abrams before. (Scott Chambliss, Abrams go-to production designer, said he's busy with Tomorrowland but Ryan Church has worked with Abrams before and worked on the PT and I'd say he might be likely to return for Ep. 7. But, on the flipside, he's also down with Tomrrowland as well so maybe not.)

20. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    I agree. I'm just really disappointed because for some reason I thought Lucasfilm was running the EP7 production (AKA Kennedy is the producer) and they "hired" Abrams as the director and they would use "traditional" Lucasfilm folks. I guess in this case the director has 100% full control and Abrams will be using a lot of "his regulars". Long story short I would prefer a more Lucasfilm based EP7 then a Bad Robot EP7..

Sarge likes this.
  21. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
  22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Basically, I can't see this movie working similar to how ESB and ROTJ worked where Lucas was more hands on (arguably, he was more hands on in ROTJ than ESB), or if you're hoping Kenedy will by Lucas-by-Proxy. Abrams and Bad Robot will have more creative freedom than Kirshner and Marquand ever did. Simply due to the size of Abrams' name/brand and that this is working in a more traditional, studio sense as opposed to the basically independent movies that ESB and ROTJ were.

23. Dasan

Dasan Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 7, 2013
    I agree that Abrams's projects have always been well cast and I hope they have April Webster on the job. However, I sincerely hope the writers at Bad Robot (Orci, Kurtzman, Lindelof) have nothing to do with the sequels. They simply don't have the credentials Arndt does, but if it were up to Abrams, I am sure he would have them write the script. I am not ok with that - at all. Both of the Star Trek movies were very lazily written and Lost...well, was Lost. So no, I don't want this to be a flat out Bad Robot production. I prefer to think of Abrams as a hired hand. He is there to direct the film, nothing more. He is subservient to the franchise, the franchise is not subservient to him.

Immortiss, Joe Antonetti and Sarge like this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    You can think of him as a hired hand as much as you want but considering how he and others flat-out said that he's working on the story with other writers at Bad Robot and a director's job entails much, much more than just "pointing and shooting the camera at the actors" he's not just going to be subservient to every whim of Lucasfilm. If he was, we'd just see the exact same crew working on this as the PT but with the lineup already assembled behind the scenes coming together already that isn't true. It'll be a mix of Bad Robot and some Lucasfilm crew in the end. It's not going to be the same deal that went down with "Empire" and "Jedi", the director here will have much more freedom than before.

25. Dasan

Dasan Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 7, 2013
    I am aware that my wants and needs are not in play here, that much is obvious. I'm also aware that it is possible the Bad Robot writers are indeed involved, though to what extent is unclear. As far as I can tell, all that has been said is that Kennedy has been going back and forth from Lucas Film to Bad Robot is, and I quote, "having extensive story meetings with J.J. Abrams and the rest of the writing team, including Empire Strikes Back scribe Lawrence Kasdan." All this implies is that she is meeting with Abrams and the confirmed writers working on the project: Arndt, Kinberg and Kasdan. There is no mention of Orci, Kurtzman or Lindelof and clearly she is there representing Lucas Film in these "extensive" meetings. This is not a flat out Bad Robot production if the CEO of Lucas Film is sitting in on every meeting, discussing the plot of the film with writers that she, not Bad Robot, hired.

If you have a source where Abrams says Bad Robot writers are working on the script, contrary to the official announcement that Arndt is the screenwriter, with Kasdan and Kinberd advising, I'd be happy to read it. But since I don't see any evidence of that at all yet, my fingers are crossed that Star Wars isn't going to turn into the same sloppy mess Star Trek has become.

It is obvious that Industrial Light and Magic and Skywalker sound are also going to be involved, so don't be surprised at all if a lot of the crew who worked on the prequels will indeed be involved. This is just as much a Lucas Film production as much as a Bad Robot one, make no mistake. It's possible the later movies won't even be made by Bad Robot at all, and a new director will be hired, since they have specifically stated Abrams has only signed for Ep. VII, not VIII and IX.

FRAGWAGON likes this.