main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does Anyone Know Where I Can Find Pregnancy Pads?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by DarthDestiny, Aug 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthDestiny

DarthDestiny Jedi Youngling

Jun 12, 2005
    You know the pregnancy pads to make it look as though I'm pregnant. I want to start early on my Halloween costume and I can't seem to find one, espically since I live in a nowhere town. If someone could post some sites that sell them I would be really grateful.[face_praying]

2. electrakitty

electrakitty Jedi Master star 2

Apr 27, 2005
    I have actually never seen one for sale, but they are fairly simple to make. Start with a leotard (an old swimsuit would also work) I usually start by cutting the crotch at the seam and putting in snap tape so that one can potty with ease.
    Next, put it on a dressform if you have one. If not, I've used a couch cushion for a form with a reasonable degree of success. You will need 1" upholstery foam. Most fabric stores (like Joann or Hancock) sell it fairly cheaply. Cut an oval about 3"x5" to start. Blanket stitch it into the center of the bodysuit. Next, cut an oval which overlaps the first by about 1/2"-1" and blanketstitch it over the previous oval. Continue doing this 'til it has roughly the shape you want. Each successive piece of foam should somewhat compress the one before. Once you've added 6-7 layers, you might decide you're finished, you might decide to add a few layers of quilt batting for finesse of shaping. Once it's got the shape you want, cover the whole thing with a layer of tricot (It can be somewhat hard to find, so I've cut up a slip before) so that your costume won't hang up on the padding.
    So there it is, a simple tutorial on making pregnancy padding. Hope it helps.

3. Jayne

Jayne Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2002
  4. skywalker_1982

skywalker_1982 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 25, 2004
    Thing is though wearing these with your padme costume do you generally get alot of people ask you when its due?

5. electrakitty

Apr 27, 2005
    I actually haven't got a Padme' costume that I've worn my padding with. However, I was in a show where my character was pregnant, and one time while we were outside on a break, this guy who was playing my brother came over and started hitting me in the belly. Passersby were appalled, of course. I had to pull up my shirt and show them that it was fake.

6. DarthDestiny

DarthDestiny Jedi Youngling

Jun 12, 2005
    Thanks for the help!!!

7. electrakitty

Apr 27, 2005
    Oh PS I realized I forgot to mention that you should place the ovals so that the long side is going up the center of the body. Also, when you pin it in, remember to use safety pins or count your pins so you don't leave one behind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.