main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does anyone know why Padme's loyal bodyguard Sabe left her?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by THEFORCEISWITHME33, Aug 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THEFORCEISWITHME33

THEFORCEISWITHME33 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    I only saw Sabe in TPM but not in the AOTC. Seems to me that Sabe was needed for Padme, especially with Padme's life in danger (AOTC). So I was wondering if anyone knew or had any ideas on why she was not with Padme in the other film(s), or did her loyalty end when Padme ceased to be queen? Thanks,[face_peace]

2. Obischick

Obischick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2001
    Canon Reply: No one really knows why or when Sabé (or any of Padmé's other TPM Handmaidens) left her. It would make an interesting fanfic though :)

Real Life Answer: They started filming in Australia and used Australian girls for the roles. That and I bet Keira's fame had grown so much since than, that it wasn't worth the amount of $$ they had to pay to get her to come back for a role the size of Dormé's.

~Obischick~ [face_peace]

3. Madakast

Madakast Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2005
    Maybe the handmaidens have varying roles, and Padme was deemed no longer in need of a decoy, so Sabe returned to other handmaiden tasks for the Queen back on Naboo.

4. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    The "handmaidens" were part of her "royal" retinue. When she wasn't a queen anymore (because she was an "elected queen" only) they went to her successor. As a senator she got protection from the Jedi when needed.

5. tee4jc85

tee4jc85 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 20, 2005
    she was kidnapped by a half dead pirate and was sent on a crusade to save the man she loved from certain death because of his blood line...

it kinda conflicted with Padme's assasination attempts

6. Obischick

Obischick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2001

Actually, Padmé uses a decoy at the beginning of AotC. Her name was Cordé.

Again, Padmé has handmaidens in AotC (Cordé, Versé and Dormé) and in RotS (Moteé and Ellé). So they aren't really just for the Royal, but higher-ranking females on Naboo.

~Obischick~ [face_peace]

7. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Sabé got fired when she started taking advantage of her position by going out with pop stars and the like, at the expense of the Naboo government.

Playing around is dangerous business
    /LM

8. EwohEkim

EwohEkim Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 14, 2005
    I wonder how bodyguards would be assigned to the Queen of Naboo. Given that in Episode I, Panaka mentions that the large majority of the security in Theed is made up of volunteers. Is it possible that the decoys are also voluntary positions?

Though I wonder if Sabe maybe had a relationship outside of her duties to the queen, and brought this up to Amidala. I would imagine that Padme would be willing to let Sabe go to start a family of her own.

9. General_BlackLegion

General_BlackLegion Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2004
    Sabe was probably a Royal Handmaiden and she only works for the curren Queen of Naboo. There are also other Handmaidens that are protecting people like Senators and Ambassadors and are volunary or just high-ranking ladies of Naboo society.

10. Lady_Eirtae

Lady_Eirtae Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 16, 2005
    Each Queen would need different handmaidens because they all would be different. Most of the handmaidens in TPM (aside from Eirtae) looked similar to Padme. Since Sabe was the closest, she would have been the one who was the decoy. So, unless she looked like Jamilla did without all the make up, she would not be there. Also, you have to remember that many years passed between TPM and AOTC. It is possible that those handmaidens moved on to do other things after Padme's two terms in office.

11. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    Sabe (Keira Knightley) found a much more interesting and satisfying career as a galaxy-wide famous film star and left the dangerous profession of "decoy" (Corde dead in the first few minutes).

12. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    Obischick is correct: There is no canon answer for why the loyal Sabé is not back in AOTC. The real world answer is that I sincerely doubt Keira Knightley was interested in coming back for what, for her, was a fairly unimportant role.

Oh, Padmé has decoys in AOTC. Not only does Cordé die in the opening minutes, but it's clear, (I've heard it is especially so in the novelization, which I haven't read) that Dormé plays decoy later on when Padmé goes off to Naboo with a certain Jedi padawan. She also supposedly uses her handmaidens for decoys, again, in ROTS, though not for a life or death reason. Yes, they just never tire of having pretty, loyal, selfless girls play Padmé and die in her place.

Sorry. But I'm feeling even less charitable towards the decoy plot than usual right now.

Sabé could have had any number of reasons for leaving Padme's service, but since she's a minor character, canon is not going to provide these answers. That's what fan fiction is for.

13. Sabe126

Sabe126 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Also isn't Keira now much taller than Natalie?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.