main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Does anyone out there have a REAL padawan braid?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Magenta_Moonshadow, Sep 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yugi3045

yugi3045 Jedi Youngling

Oct 9, 2005
    But how do I get it started? I'm a guy, so I have short hair. Mine's about 2 inches. So when I get my hair cut, I should tell them to leave how much not cut? Just a 2x2 circle, or a line?

2. Magenta_Moonshadow

Magenta_Moonshadow Jedi Master star 3

Aug 14, 2005
    It depends how thick your hair is, really - I'd say leave a circle about one inch in diameter...

3. yugi3045

yugi3045 Jedi Youngling

Oct 9, 2005
    I think what I'm gonna do is grow my hair out to six inches, braid what I want to keep, and have them trim the rest. I think this is going to be easiest, and I suggest this for any guy who wants to start a Padawan braid.
    Okay, one more question. How do you keep the braids from coming undone?

4. Magenta_Moonshadow

Aug 14, 2005
    I just tie it a few inches from the end with a piece of thread or cord...you might have to rebraid it every few days to keep it tight and neat, though!:)

5. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    I was told about this thread, figured I'd pop in.

Last August, I got my hair cut really short for a fanfilm shoot. It grew and grew until January; I jsut didn't make an appointment for it. So it was maybe two inches long. I told my hairdresser to keep a bit behind the ear- coming in with a reference pic of Obi-Wan, actually- and it's been growing ever since. A tad late to start it...

The most recent picture of me was me in makeup for a zombie movie, so as such, I'll just link the picture instead of using an image tag.

Fake blood abounds...

Not bad for... *thinks* 14 months of growth. On a side note, I never knew that my hair was wavy until I started growing it.

I usually don't braid it, either, as it gets scraggly and isn't good for the hair to have it braided all the time, I guess. I place rubberbands (orthodontic, whee for a sister who had braces) about 1.5, 2 inches apart. That picture has three rubberbands on it, but I just starting putting a fourth in this past week.

"When are you going to cut that thing off?" my mom asks almost every weekend. "When I get married," I nonchalantly reply.

In other words, the hair will fall out before I cut it off...

6. Magenta_Moonshadow

Aug 14, 2005
    WTG, DarthArjuna!:p

7. Magenta_Moonshadow

Aug 14, 2005
    Right, I mentioned on this thread that my cloak in the photos was just a temporary one until I could get some decent fabric to make a proper one from... Well, here it is - I finished it on Sunday! :)

It's made from a fleece fabric, so it's lovely and warm!

It's not as 'dark-coloured' as it looks in the pics - it's really a dark brown, like Qui Gon's...but because it was dark and wet outside, the pics were taken indoors with a flash. I hope to get some better pics soon...

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a360/JerseyJedi/newcloak1.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a360/JerseyJedi/newcloak2.jpg

8. ishtarskywalker

ishtarskywalker Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2005
    It looks great Magenta_Moonshadow! It is pretty dark in the pictures; it looks like it almost matches your padawan braid! Hm, I have dark brown hair, maybe I should make a Jedi robe to match my hair? ;)

9. Magenta_Moonshadow

Aug 14, 2005
    Glad you like it, ishtarskywalker! The robe is a dark brown colour (like chocolate), whereas my hair (that's a REAL braid!) is a shade darker than that! :D

10. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    Merry Christmas, and with updated pictures of my own work in progress.

[image=http://www.petridish.net/pics/23624/100_1444.JPG]

[image=http://www.petridish.net/pics/23624/100_1441.JPG]

11. Magenta_Moonshadow

Aug 14, 2005
    It's looking good, DarthArjuna! :D

12. ElfinArcher

ElfinArcher Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 29, 2005
    Not if I have anything to say about it.
    DarthArjuna's girlfriend here, total n00b, and also the owner of a padawan braid. It's kind of hidden among the rest of my hair (as both are long), but ... I have one. I guess I'm cheating a little. [face_blush] Oops.

13. JediKnight_EJL

JediKnight_EJL Jedi Youngling

Jan 11, 2006
    Im making an obiwan padawan costume and don't really want too grow my own padawan braid, if anyone has a suggetion for making a clip on braid please tell me, thanks.

14. Jedi-Siri

Jedi-Siri Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2004
    I dressed up when Revenge came out and I grew out my own Padawan braid and kept it in for several months. Everyday I would rebraid it and it got to be a pain so I cut it off.

As for ideas on making one to clip in. This idea is just off the top of my head but usually at Sally's hair salon they have prebraided clips for women to use in their hair. If you could find those clips you could use those. Also there at Sally's his a bag of fake hair you could possibly braid and then hot glue onto a clip.

Just an idea. :)

15. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    I have a few clip-on braids left. What color is your hair?

16. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Bumping for recent query.

17. Lord_Absath

Lord_Absath Jedi Youngling

Jan 20, 2006
    Hey Its Lord_Absath again, some of you will probably will remember me from my other topic: Yep, i decided to grow a padawan braid. My hairs acctually getting quite long, i can have a little ponytail at the back, if only the hair beside my ear would grow faster. >.<

I was just wondering does anyone have any tips on the braid, any tips would be great.

Edit: Just found a picture of a guy with a padawan braid from the other Starwars forum And here is the link to his picture...
    http://myspace-468.vo.llnwd.net/00253/86/42/253282468_l.jpg

18. Ti-el_Terall

Ti-el_Terall Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 11, 2006
    I grew a braid for about 5 years and then i got bugged so much thati cut it off. It went from behind my ear to just past my arm pit. To bad cause now i wish i still had it so i could be a total fanatick.[face_peace]

19. Gul-Dak-Herann

Gul-Dak-Herann Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 12, 2005
    No pics of when you had it?

It must take a while to grow one of these things.:(

20. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    You should have kept it after you cut it off. You could have sealed the cut end and put a clip on it, in case you ever wanted to wear it again. [face_whistling]

21. Ti-el_Terall

Ti-el_Terall Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 11, 2006
    You should have kept it after you cut it off. You could have sealed the cut end and put a clip on it, in case you ever wanted to wear it again. [face_whistling]

I do still have it. I had never thought of using it like that thanks for the advice.[face_peace]

P.S. I used to take my braid out at night then redo it the next morning. If i used it as a clip on now would i have to undo it and wash it everynow and then?

22. Lord_Absath

Jan 20, 2006
    I'm not sure, maybe? Maybe every once in a while instead of everyday would be better, because the hair is cut off...

23. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    It takes a while to grow one, it also depends on the speed a person's hair grows.
    My braids went from behind the ears down to my waist. A little longer than Obi Wan's. I lost the right one when an over zealous cat had yanked it off. Thank God it didn't hurt. SHe was playing, and tugging on it and next thing I knew she' was walking off with it between her teeth. So I wonder if knighting by cat counts. :-D Once I managed to retrive the braid, I put it on the dresser. Don't tell the cat though. Shhhhh....:)

24. Lord_Absath

Jan 20, 2006
    Lol! Hey does anyone have any pictures of their padawan braids?
    Must see them...

25. Lord_Absath

Jan 20, 2006
    ***BUMP***

Ok i had a question, how do you go about cutting your hair at the hair dresser? Like do you show them a picture of anakin (i want mine to look like his!) and do that? Help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.