Jedi Does anyone out there have a REAL padawan braid?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Magenta_Moonshadow, Sep 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magenta_Moonshadow Force Ghost

star 3
    You can see mine in my profile piccy... :D
  2. Lord_Absath Jedi Padawan

Whoa lol thats cool! Do you re-do it everyday?
  3. Magenta_Moonshadow Force Ghost

star 3
    Whoa lol thats cool! Do you re-do it everyday?

Thank you!

I have very long hair, so I undo it, comb it, and re-do it as and when I feel like it! :D
  4. Lord_Absath Jedi Padawan

V.V i wish my hair would grow faster so i could grow my braid!
  5. Darth_Brutar02 Jedi Padawan

I really really really want to grow a padawan braid, when i have grown one i will post pictures!!! Yeah! Lord_Absath: frickin 'ell mun. Lol any tips?!

I'm random...
  6. DarthArjuna Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    When it's long enough to braid, don't do so every day. I did for a couple months, but then noticed that it started to get a really bad shape, sorta crimped looking but also rather dead. I've taken to braiding it once and a while, certainly for an occasion, and otherwise just putting it in a series of rubberbands that is spaced three finger widths apart (or about one and a half inches). Lastly, when braiding, do <I>not</I> braid tightly, especially near the top. Tight braiding is worse for the hair, and promotes that "dead" look. Also, tight braiding at the top could lead to it sticking out at an abnormal angle. It's happened before, as it's been braided tightly by either ElfinArcher or myself, that it sticks out a good ten, twenty degrees at the top before the weight of the hair pulls the rest of it down.

(Sorry for the images!)

First, the most recent picture of length, plus demonstrating the spaced rubberband style:

[image=http://www.petridish.net/pics/20358/md-WEM%20Shirt.jpg]

Now, two images showing the length of it as of about a week previous, while filming. Note that here, it's braided.

[image=http://www.petridish.net/pics/23634/100_1525.JPG]

[image=http://www.petridish.net/pics/23634/100_1532.JPG]
  7. Magenta_Moonshadow Force Ghost

star 3
  8. Lord_Absath Jedi Padawan

Wow cool pics dude. And thanks for the tips! My hairs getting longer so it shouldnt be to long now, i havent been on here for awhile so i thought i might aswell post. Noticed your WEM shirt. I celebrate WEM to! Nice to see another CTRL-ALT-DEL fan out there.
  9. -red_nite- Jedi Knight

star 1
    you really dont notice how long it takes for the braid to grow... i started mine in 99 and it was soooo short back then... now.. its about to my hip... and i look back at pictures and i cant belive it was every that short..... or that its gotten this long!![face_hypnotized]
  10. Jedi_Healer Jedi Master

star 2
    Cool pictures guys!

I do have a padawan braid of my own, and am gonna cut it someday, maybe when I turn 21, or when I get married... I dunno. Provided no one comes and snips it off without my consent before that. Yes I've had it pulled, threatened to be cut off...

Oh well..

I started braiding my hair just before ROTS came out, and so it's been close to a year already. At that time my braid was more or less the same length as my hair, but recently I cut my hair short and left the braid. So that stands out now.

I do have hair that sticks out of the braid, but I figured that that was because when I first started braiding it, my hair was layered, and thus of different lengths. The higher up parts of the braid don't have hairs that stick out. So I'm still trying to grow out my hair and hopefully trim it to be even. It'll take time, but I'm patient. :D

Here's are the only pictures I could find that showed my braid clearly enough.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/SPARTAN_058/SW%20FanForce/AOSW%20Nov%2019/a754375a.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/SPARTAN_058/SW%20FanForce/AOSW%20Nov%2019/0c797bf9.jpg
    We were getting ready for a costumed event and I was playing Barriss Offee.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6169/1293/1600/DSC01673.jpg
    Hmm, this is a more recent shot but you have to scrutinize to see the braid. I'm the one on the right.
  11. Lord_Absath Jedi Padawan

Nice braid lol. It hasnt taken long and my hair is pretty long, but not long enough yet V.V but the time will come. someday. anyday. yep. ok. no more typing. yeah. im leaving now. bye. *waves*
  12. Magenta_Moonshadow Force Ghost

star 3
    Be patient! You'll get there! :D
  13. Independence1776 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I have one! It's about armpit length. I've been growing it for about a year and a half now, after I chopped off most of my hair a couple summers ago. I actually really missed being able to put the braid in when it was short. So now, even if I do get my hair cut again, I'll be leaving the braid alone.

But unlike some here, I braid it and leave it in until it starts looking really raggedy at the top. I don't have the time or the patience to braid it every day. My major problem is getting the tiny hair bands, because I use black exclusively, and I won't wear rubber bands in my hair.

Strange thing is, I've actually noticed that most people don't seem to notice my wearing it, or if they do, they don't know why.
  14. Magenta_Moonshadow Force Ghost

star 3
    What about those wire cable twists that hold freezer bags, etc, closed? You can get them in black, and they can twist around and hold the end securely... ****Just a suggestion...****:)
  15. Independence1776 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Thanks for the suggestion, but my hair is so fine, it wouldn't stay on. Sometimes, I've even managed to accidently pull the hair tie from my braid if I don't put it on a certain way. It's rather aggravating.
  16. Magenta_Moonshadow Force Ghost

star 3
    Hmmm, what about buying a spool of black 'shirring elastic' at a sewing shop? (It's like a thin elastic thread.) Just cut off a few inches at a time and tie it on, and as it's a covered elastic, it won't damage your hair...:)

http://www.wilsonmaclagan.co.za/photos/M326A.jpg
  17. Independence1776 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hmm... never heard of that stuff before. I'll check it out when I get the chance. Thank you!
  18. Jedi_Healer Jedi Master

star 2
    Hmm, I thought I'd have problem finding rubber bands to tie my braid, but it turned out that lots of hair accessories shops have really tiny rubber bands (less than one cm in diameter), so I use those. I find it's much better than using a wire.
  19. Boter Jedi Master

star 4
    Meh, I'm just gonna go into an orthodontist's office and swipe a whole bunch of bags. (From what my sister tells me, they're free.) I'm on my last couple bags... though they do last a while, even when I'm using four at a time in the rope instead of braiding it.

(PS: DarthArjuna here, I switched usernames after hitting 5,000 posts earlier today :) )
  20. Magenta_Moonshadow Force Ghost

star 3
  21. FETT-MAN Jedi Master

star 4
    Some of you have good braids! But my question is, I'm going to all-con tommorrow and need a braid. My hair is short so I need an extension. Any tips on what I can do really fast?
  22. Magenta_Moonshadow Force Ghost

star 3
    Wow, that's short notice!

Either beg the local salon for offcuts, or buy a ball of wool to match your hair shade and plait that? Tie one end to a hair-grip...

Sorry, that's the best I can think of! :)
  23. FETT-MAN Jedi Master

star 4
    Don't worry, it's been taken care of.
  24. Magenta_Moonshadow Force Ghost

star 3
    Are you going to post pics when the event is over?? :D
  25. liambauckham Jedi Knight

star 3
    a mate of mine has a padawan braid, i have no idea why hes not that big a star wars fan
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.