main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Does anyone out there have a REAL padawan braid?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Magenta_Moonshadow, Sep 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magenta_Moonshadow

Magenta_Moonshadow Jedi Master star 3

Aug 14, 2005
    But he IS a fan? :p

2. Boter

Boter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2002
    Hey, all. Just thought I'd tell you that I cut it off...

[image=http://www.petridish.net/pics/24496/md-100_1848.JPG] (full-res)

Just kidding! I was planning on posting a picture similar to that on April Fool's, but forgot to... anyhow, that one's more recent- yesterday. And this one's from about two seconds ago, showing the actual length:

[image=http://www.petridish.net/pics/20358/md-Fresh%20Market.jpg] (full-res)

I think I need five rubberbands, now... it's splaying and tickling near a very slight sunburn. (You can see the line of sunburn vs. unburned left from the bandana [first pic] on my forehead [second pic]... eew.)

Edit: It's interesting... I've had pictures of myself online for quite a while, so I can actually go back and track my progress, from the tuft of hair here- longer than the rest, but unbraided- to the second picture in the original post.

3. FarmboyKatarn

FarmboyKatarn Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 26, 2001
    So I'm going to get my hair cut coming up in a few weeks when school gets out. It's been way past my shoulders for four years now, and it's time for a change. So instead of Qui-Gon, I'm going Obi-Wan TPM (sans ponytail, because if I keep that and let it down, it looks suspiciously like a mini-mullet.) I can't be sure if I'm more excited about graduating or getting a haircut. When I get it cut, I've heard people talk about clipper numbers, what is a good # for padawan style length?

4. Boter

Jul 8, 2002
    That depends. You mean electric clippers? I think that there are different scales. I use an 8, the longest my hairdresser has. I'd say start long, look at it, then go shorter if you need to.

5. Cerebral-Rent

Cerebral-Rent Jedi Youngling

Jul 20, 2005
    I can't believe I almost read this entire thread.

Great braids though, guys!

I plan on making a clip on one because I've got short hair behind my ears, so I wanted to ask something. I remember reading on some other thread about the beads and colors of the bands having some sort of meaning. Is that true, and if so, does anyone know what each style entails about the wearer?

6. mr_Goodbomb

mr_Goodbomb Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2006
    The new bass player for HORSE The Band has one. I thought it was a joke when I read it in their bio, because... well, most everything they do is a joke, somehow or another. But, no. I saw em live, and he definitely has one.

7. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    I had two long padawan braids that reached my waist. One on each side. One the cat yanked off, thank God it didn't hurt much. The other eventually met the same fate. <sighs> So I'm braidless now. :'(

8. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    I used to do a Padawan braid all the time. People thought I was trying to be either an elf or a Native American.

Haven't done it in ages though, really should start doing it again, people (who knew nothing about where I got the idea from) said that it really suited me.

9. Jauhzmynn

Jun 16, 2002
    They said that to me as well. I got many compliments because of the braids. I had small turquoise and silver dangly earrings attached to the ends. I'd swap out differant items and coloured embrodiry floss to suit the clothing. Felines espically loved playing and gromming them.

10. Cerebral-Rent

Cerebral-Rent Jedi Youngling

Jul 20, 2005
    Now, in the SW universe, do the female Padawans have to have the same haircut and braid as a males do?

Because I'm dressing up as a Padawan, and I don't want to hafta cut my hurr at all. [face_love]

11. Independence1776

Independence1776 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2006
    I don't know, but I doubt it. I think the female younglings in the scene with Yoda in AotC had their hair pulled back. (Don't have the movie handy to check.)

Anyways, I'm female, and my hair is long. I just pull it back in a ponytail when I dress up. Helps the braid show off better, too.

12. Magenta_Moonshadow

Aug 14, 2005
    Wow! Can't believe that this thread is still going! :D Any more pics, folks?

13. Independence1776

Feb 3, 2006
    No pics, but I'm having a really hard time getting the new hairbands to stay wrapped around the end of the braid. The "ouchless" kind just isn't staying in as well. :mad:

14. Magenta_Moonshadow

Aug 14, 2005
    What sort are you using?

15. Independence1776

Feb 3, 2006
    I'm using the Goody 1/2 inch ouchless (no metal band). I actually have two problems with it: they're too big and they aren't staying in. I'm thinking of getting some embroidery thread and using that, but I don't know how it would hold up. What I want is some tiny covered elastic hairties, but I have no idea if they exist or wear to find them if they do.

16. Magenta_Moonshadow

Aug 14, 2005
    I know! The thin ones usually have the metal bars in them, and the thick ones are just too thick!

I have used the plastic-coated wire twists from freezer bags before now, but that may not be to everyones taste! Otherwise the embroidery thread might work, but you might have to pull it really tight to knot it and tie it off to stop it slipping, and you'd probably have to use a fresh piece of thread each time...

Good luck!

***eagerly awaits the opening of a 'Jedi's R Us' store.. :D **

17. Independence1776

Feb 3, 2006
    Amen to that!

But the metal bands actually helped hold the hairtie in place. Don't ask me how- they just did. The only good thing I can think of about the thread is that it's so cheap- 24 cents per thing at Wal-Mart. I want my old hairties back. :(

Ah, the trials of being a Jedi Padawan...

18. Magenta_Moonshadow

Aug 14, 2005
    Qui-Gon never said it would be easy... ;)

19. Jauhzmynn

Jun 16, 2002
    I use the Goody tiny plastic stretchy hair bands to hold the hair then I wind a little embrodry thread over the band. I use the same colour of band as I do floss, or as close as possible. I haven't had any problems with it coming off at the ends even with it being weighted a little with a silver dangly earring.b

20. Boter

Jul 8, 2002
    I've started adding color with the elastics that I use. They have to be quadrupled up instead of tripled, because they're larger and the hair is relatively thin (not abnormally so, just thinner than the elastics were meant to be). With my supply of orthodontic elastics running out, it looks like I'll be color-coordinating pretty soon.

"What goes better with this shirt, orange or blue?"

[image=http://www.petridish.net/pics/20358/Fresh%20Market%20Psychopath.jpg]

(Forgive the AUGH DIE NOW expression, I also use that picture for an avatar for use in my LiveJournal when discussing work.)

21. Magenta_Moonshadow

Aug 14, 2005
    Looks like I'll have to put my Padawan braid 'on hold' for a while - I've got to get my hair cut short next week as I'll be starting chemotherapy later this month, and if I want to try and save at least some hair using the 'cold cap' option, it's got to be short to fit under the cap...:(

Ah well, it's got to be done - and if the cold cap doesn't work, the only Jedi I'll resemble will be Mace Windu...

22. princessleia911

princessleia911 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2005
    You could always go Dark Side and do Asajj Ventress :D

23. Magenta_Moonshadow

Aug 14, 2005
    NOooooo!!! I'll NEVER join the Dark Side...

24. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    *hugs* I hope the cold cap works for you :)

25. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    Amen to that, Earwen, and I pray you'll be completely well very soon, MagentaMoonshadow!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.