main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Does anyone out there have a REAL padawan braid?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Magenta_Moonshadow, Sep 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magenta_Moonshadow

Magenta_Moonshadow Jedi Master star 3

Aug 14, 2005
    Thank you, Earwen and Nidrail!

The chemo is a precaution, as I was diagnosed with an aggressive type of breast cancer on July 11th, and underwent a mastectomy six days later.:(

Although my armpit lymph-nodes they removed came back clear and the tumour was 'contained', the consultant is recommending the course of chemo 'just in case' there's any nasties lurking elsewhere...

2. Magenta_Moonshadow

Aug 14, 2005
    Just to let you know that my hair started to fall out during chemo, despite trying the cold-cap option, so rather than wait for it all to fall out, I had my head shaved today... :(

3. Boter

Boter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2002
    I'm sorry to hear that :( Hopefully, though, the hair was the least of your worries. Everything else is going fine?

4. Magenta_Moonshadow

Aug 14, 2005
    Hi, Boter! Thanks for all the good wishes!@};- :)

I've had my fourth lot of chemo, but kept getting recurring infections in my 'central line', so they had to remove the line a few days ago... The docs reckon that four lots will probably be enough...

I hope that they're right...

My head is still bald - but hopefully it should start to grow back once the effects of the chemo start to wear off!

Thanks again - it really means a lot!:)

5. Magenta_Moonshadow

Aug 14, 2005
    Just an update - I now have fluffy stubble on my head!:)

It's not much, but it's a start - my hair is growing back!!! :D

6. Magenta_Moonshadow

Aug 14, 2005
    Another update - if anyone is interested - my hair is now around 2 inches long (that's 5cm).:)

7. Boter

Jul 8, 2002
    Nice :D Good to know that it's coming back well, and I hope you're doing well too :)

8. lizodessky

lizodessky Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2007
    I had mine for about a week after I decided to cut my shoulder length hair to about 1 1/2 inches long.

Needless to say, the nuns at my school were not very pleased and decided to remove it for me. "It's not good for a proper young lady such as youself blah blah blah."

But it is slowly growing back now that it is summertime. :D

9. HardwareStoreJedi

HardwareStoreJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 10, 2006
    Good to hear. My hubby has multiple myeloma, and has been shaving his head since 1983. (He started losing his hair to male pattern baldness at age 16.) He's done chemo, and he's basically had every side-effect there is...EXCEPT losing what's left of his hair. He's glad the chemo has been working...he's in remission now, thank Goddess...but he feels a little gypped his hair never fell out. Then again, if they do a bone marrow transplant, probably the really nasty stuff they use to kill his bone marrow will do the trick.

I'm glad to hear your hair is coming back, because you were saying you were bumming out about losing it. Hopefully you are also "coming back" healthwise. Best wishes...

10. Magenta_Moonshadow

Aug 14, 2005
    Thank you so very much, it really means a lot! I hope that your husband is still doing well! @};-[:D]

As for me, it's a case of 'so-far, so-good' at the moment... I also have an auto-immune condition called sarcoidosis, and the symptoms can cause fatigue, etc, so that's an extra hurdle.

My hair is growing well now, but although the top of my head has thick slightly wavy hair, the sides and back are a mass of tight curls! It's called the 'chemo curl' and apparently it can take around two years to grow out...

I can now get a small section of hair from behind my right ear into a very small braid almost 3 inches long, so I'm getting there!:)

Again, a HUGE 'thank you' again to everyone for all their good wishes on this thread...@};-@};-@};-

11. Boter

Jul 8, 2002
    It amazes me sometimes... I work as a cashier. A regular customer seemed to notice it for the first time when it's been growing separately fromt he rest of my hair for almost three years... meanwhile, having just measured right now, it's at fifteen inches.

Someone else thought that all of my hair was that long before I cut it, leaving just that. I could never let the rest of my hair grow that long... it looks just horrible after one and a half inches, like something out of the original Battlestar Galactica (braid notwithstanding).

Picture from Halloween: [image=http://www.petridish.net/pics/26972/md-f01.jpg]

Click full size for detail.

How long were the braids in the movies? I'm at about the point where I'm going to stop letting it grow. It's at seven rubberbands with my "three finger widths" method of spacing them, I may let it grow out as long as eight.

12. SUGARBANTJINN

SUGARBANTJINN Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2007
    OOO!! ME!! I have a real Padawan braid! I'm 16, and I've had it since I was 12.

13. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Great braids. :)

I've no idea how long they were in the movies. I guess it depends on when the person started theirs and how the hair grows. Obi Wan's was [retty long.Thetail of mine came to the bottom of my ribs.

14. KerriganPsyanide

KerriganPsyanide Jedi Youngling

Dec 3, 2007
    I have one [face_blush] . I have to keep rebraiding it because my hair is growing too fast at the moment, but I'm not alone; one of my best friends has one too and his hair is even longer than mine.

It's strange when I end up not having the brain there, I feel a bit lost without it.:_|[face_laugh]

15. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Understandably, keeping one's wits about oneself is very useful, most of the time ;)

16. KerriganPsyanide

KerriganPsyanide Jedi Youngling

Dec 3, 2007
    It's also strange when I don't have my braid there, but definitely most unusual not to have my brain there [face_worried][face_laugh]

17. Obi-Waan_Kenobi

Obi-Waan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 14, 2007
    Everyone on this board, you make me feel happy and included! I've had a Padawan braid since I saw the prequel movies. And I've never seen anyone else who wears one constantly. My parents make playful fun of me, asking how long I'll have it, and I just say, "Until my training's done." There was one funny episode at my school when everyone dressed up for Halloween. I put on my home-made Jedi costume, and one of my teachers is a Star wars fan as well; he asked the class if I was a Full fledged Jedi or a Padawan, and everyone said Jedi before he pointed out the braid. =) In agreement with people on here: yes, it feels very strange not to have one; I'll reach up a hand to twist it in my fingers and then wonder where my braid went.

18. Amrita_Glittersong

Amrita_Glittersong Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 30, 2007
    I have very long hair that's really delicate, so I have to condition it every day... Which means I end up having to unbraid and rebraid my padawan braid all the time. :_| But I do really like to wear it whenever possible. Mine has pale pink, sapphire blue, and orange color bands on it. :)

19. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Amrita_Glittersong: have you looked into dreadlock products? I've used knotty boy shampoo and it's really good. I've not tried their conditioning products though. I did have all my hair done in dreads at the time, but if it's good enough for a full head then it should be good enough for a single braid. :)

I do have a question of my own. I'm thinking of getting my undercut redone. Does anyone know how much I should leave if I want to grow a braid?

20. Jauhzmynn

Jun 16, 2002
    Hmm.. maybe the thickeness of a regular sharpie pen. It depends on how thick a braid you want.

Question: WHERE does the thing actually start? I had mine right behind the ear so it'd not go anywhere. I'd seen movie stills of Ewans and Hayden's braids were started just in front of the ear and were braided towards the back of the ear.

Uhh I can't do that or it'd look wonky.

21. Amrita_Glittersong

Amrita_Glittersong Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 30, 2007
    moosemousse - Hey, that's actually a great idea. I'll have to look into that. :)

Jauhzmynn - I always start mine behind my ear; it looks better and sits in the right place easier too.

22. Independence1776

Independence1776 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2006
    Like others here, I also miss my braid when it isn't in. I used to rebraid it every week during the single year I was in AFROTC. And then I had a super-short cut, and I rejoiced when my hair was finally long enough to braid it.

I have to start mine behind my ear. I couldn't wear my glasses comfortably otherwise!

I do have a question, though. I'm just starting to look for my first job, and will be getting my hair cut soon. I'm leaving the braid at its current length. How do I handle it during job interviews or work? Is it even necessary or should I hide it somehow?

23. Boter

Jul 8, 2002
    Depends on the job. I suggest at least braiding it and keeping it nice (as opposed to my usual spaced-rubberband style). Makes a better impression if it's tidy. If it's a job where they really object to it, though, then you might have to get rid of it - or get another job. I *just* landed a job at a video game store - a geeky enough place where it's appreciated. And at the grocery store before this, I was growing it as I was there, and never had a negative comment on it. It was a conversation piece for customers.

24. Cara_Undercover_Jedi

Cara_Undercover_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2006
    I've been inspired...I'm going to start one today! :)

25. Jauhzmynn

Jun 16, 2002

As a female it's kinda' easy. THey think it's some 'do'. WHen I had the paddy braids behind each ear, I'd wrap the embrodiy floss around the end that'd match what I was wearing as an accent, and mine had a dangly earing to weight it down some.

For a guy, I'd not get rid of it for a job. I just don't tell them what it was. Generally they can be tucked in the shirt collar during an interveiw. As long as the braid is neat tidy. I unbraid mine when I wash my hair, then condition and comb, put a wee bit of gel on it, comb, then braid up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.