Does anyone remember Howard the Duck?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Mateo, Jul 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mateo Jedi Master

star 4
    For those of you who dont remember this movie it was one of George Lucas's biggest failures but it was still a very funny movie with a funny story.

It starred Tim Robbins and and that woman from Caroline in the city, anyway it was about a duck from an alternate universe that gets pulled down to Earth and ends up fighting with a Dark OverLord of the universe,its weird but has good stuff if you like lucas's weird sense of humor.
  2. reeves1 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Yes, I do. And I also remember watching it in
    the theater.

I kind of that it was a fun movie but I know
    my two younger cousins thought it was the worst thing they had ever seen!

Oh, well.
  3. darthfrede Jedi Master

star 4
    I think the movie's kinda funny...
  4. waheennay Jedi Master

star 4
    I've never seen it. I've seen THE ADVENTURES OF ROCKY AND BULLWINKLE though. I think it may be the same type of thing.
  5. ryanof1 Jedi Master

star 4
    I saw it in the theater. Worst movie I have ever seen.
  6. random_trooper Jedi Knight

star 2
    One of the main jokes was that of all the places on the planet to land, Howard landed in Cleveland, OH...my home town...grrrrr, it came out right around the time when it was still cool to bash my city :(

I'm not hurt or anything...I mean, I'm over it...really [face_mischief]
  7. antilles Jedi Knight

star 1
    I actually really enjoyed it alot as a kid. I wacthed it recently, and had a few laughs. Mostly because how bad it really is.
  8. BoB Moderator Emeritus

star 4
    It wasw rerelease on vhs a few years ago so I picked it up. WHile it isn't that good of a movie I wouldn't say it was one of the worst movies I've seen. Of course I've seen some really bad movies.
  9. Hoedaack Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm trying hard to forget it.

It was a bad movie.
  10. Docsw Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yeah I remember Howard the Duck!
    It was one of my childhood memories of movies! jeje It was a bad one but still you've got to love Howard the Duck.

:D
  11. Dubya_Fett Jedi Knight

star 3
    I remember the original Marvel Comics character who debuted in "Man-Thing" and graduated to two comic books of his own, one a regular funny book and the other for "more mature" readers (Sample line, Howard to his human girlfriend: "Ah, Beverly, what we have is pretty... unnatural."). It's been years since I've seen the movie. From what I remember it was pretty bad, watering down the satirical wit of the comics while still being too dark and cynical for kids. Did Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz ever work again? Still, it was not the worst movie I had ever seen. Ironically, while Howard was one of the first Marvel Comics characters to get the big screen treatment, the movie (and a subsequent lawsuit) almost killed the character, with him only lately resurfacing.

-Dubya Fett
    Fettism of the Day: "Yoda and Miss Piggy seen together at South Seas island resort, Kermit reportedly heartbroken."
  12. Master_Beerstalker Jedi Knight

star 1
    I remeber seeing it as a little kid and loved it. It's actually where I ended up learning what a condom was, pretty funny.

If I could find it I would probably buy it, I mean it's still better that some other movies I've seen.
  13. Master_Beerstalker Jedi Knight

star 1
    Actually I found it at K-mart yesterday for $5 so I bought it. Haven't had time to watch it again yet.
  14. Jango_Meerel Jedi Padawan

Im very glad to know that George moved on to Star Wars instead of staying with Howard...otherwise,....

Coming Soon to Theaters....

Howard the Duck: Attack of the Cooks!

or...

Howard the Duck: Return of the Duck

Yes...thank you George for realizing your potential extends past talking duck movies...not that it was bad....
  15. Dubya_Fett Jedi Knight

star 3
    I had an idea for a sequel called "Whatever Happened to Howard the Duck?", in which the "real" Howard (done with state of the art CGI) is dismayed over his depiction in the movie flop based on his life. Howard complains that the film was filled with inaccuracies and ruined his career. Suing Lucasfilm for defamation, Howard wins the lawsuit, and then parlays his resurrected celebrity status into a successful third party candidacy for President of the United States. Howard remarkably wins (after a disputed recount in Florida), but risks impeachment when a TV evangelist accuses him of an "inappropriate relationship" with his human girlfriend and secretary Beverly Switzer.

-Dubya Fett

EDIT (Mr. P): No spoilers!!!!
  16. Batya_Organa Jedi Knight

star 1
  17. Obi_one_and_only Force Ghost

star 5
    The film was OK for the 80s. Nothing more
  18. specialagentcooper Jedi Knight

star 1
    i liked howard. then again i love bad movies.
    all hail ed wood!
  19. Mateo Jedi Master

star 4
    Howard was a warrior you've got to love that part of him, and i bet that the Dark Overlord of the Universe could defeat Emperor Palpatine and Darth Vader easily if he ever tried to attack them and invade Coruscant.
  20. VladTheImpaler Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm surprised to see people who actually liked Howard The Duck. I thought it was a horrible movie.

However, I don't blame Lucas for it. He didn't write it or direct it. I get the sense that he had very little to do with it. It pisses me off when people bash Lucas and point to Howard The Duck as an example of his lameness. Yet at the same time, they act like the only reason ANH was good was because of Katz and Hyuck(sp?) giving VERY minor dialogue suggestions.
  21. Mateo Jedi Master

star 4
    Howard the Duck was an awesome movie, the way howard deals with Ginger is funny as hell.
  22. LeChuck Jedi Knight

star 1
    Howard the Duck was a bad movie, not entirely terrible.
    More American Graffti. That was a truely bad Movie.
  23. Jedi15 Jedi Youngling

star 4
    It's been years since I've seen Howard the Duck. I first saw it when I was little, and I loved it then, proclaiming it as one of the best movies ever. But now...if I ever watch it again, it'll never be in public. ;)

It's a piece of crap, but still oddly entertaining. A true guilty pleasure, if ever there was one.
  24. JediMasterKendo Jedi Master

star 3
    I still got the movie on tape somewhere in one of my boxes.

That bedroom scene made you think about something when Leah's character invited Howard in bed with her. Made you think that the two had freaky animal sex
  25. Darth-Mauls-Torso Jedi Master

star 3
    I saw it on T.V. just last night. What a coincidence!

Anyways, I thought some of it was funny and some of it was horribly, horribly, horribly lame. Jeffrey Jones looked pretty evil when he was posessed by the Dark Overlord of the Universe, but the voice he used made him a bit hard to swallow. That and a lot of the jikes were horribly timed. The movie was undeniably stupid, but I'm left with the question: why did I enjoy it so?

3/5 for me. I've seen far worse movies in my time coughTombRaidercough

"On my planet we have a saying: If God intended us to fly He wouldn't have taken away our wings."
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.