main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does anyone think Anakin was to whiney?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by AnakinBrego, Mar 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deeysew

Deeysew Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    Being raised in a place like the Jedi academy doesn't mean you will be well adjusted. Just look at the modern military, there are quite a few examples of people coming out maladjusted simply because their emotional or mental makeup isn't capable of handling the situation.
    Anakin is the chosen one, he knows this, or at least hears it. In his minds eye he should have it all, right now. A common mindset of the young/teenagers. Patience is something he just doesn't have, nor wants.

Regarding his interactions with Padme, he was raised by monks essentially, so it is pretty obvious that his abilities to talk to, or act around, women are pretty stilted, at least in an emotional sense.
    Hell it's hard enough for most normal guys to approach women, or even talk to them, and that's with the benefit of growing up under normal circumstances, with social opportunities to develop the emotional skills needed to handle a relationship. It seems at times he thinks things through before he says them, other times they just come out without structure. Again, a trait of social awkwardness and immaturity. Those things can be taught to an extent, the rest is learned through experience, which he has little of.

Indeed, Anakin does seem to be suffereing from sort of mental disorder, perhaps PTSD, post traumatic stress disorder, most commonly found in people who've left military service.

The only point of contention I would have with Anakin's emotional maturity around Padme would be the hypocracy in his words, "Some times we must let go of our pride...." He does show he's pretty mature to padme at some point, and at others decides not to.

Yeah, he certainly does seem uncomfortable talking to Padme and likes to play with different approaches, whether it be the intellectual, tough authoritarian, the passionate romantic, or... whiny brat? <-- hmmm... He does display that last part though and there's my point of contention for his scene with padme. I agree on the awkwardness and immaturity, but pouring whine into the same glass as those other traits he displays creates an unbalanced mixture during that part of the flick IMO. When I watch it, I only wish it could be better (it's not a love it, hate it deal, just a slight confusion), and I only hope it does get better in the next edition. :D

PS. (I kinda like hostility.... and fart jokes.)

2. JohnMilner

JohnMilner Jedi Youngling

Mar 8, 2005
    "I agree on the awkwardness and immaturity, but pouring whine into the same glass as those other traits he displays creates an unbalanced mixture during that part of the flick IMO"

I think that's spot on though to a teen, or immature youth. They really don't know when to align their behaviors with certain social situations, it's a hit and miss thing until you develop more.
    What they think might be appropriate, really isn't. I think the whining to Padme was just a simple emotional outburst, which is just another example of why Anakin can't deal with the power he has and why he falls to the darkside ;)

3. WLDB

WLDB Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2004
    The only whining I didnt like was the line "Its not fair". It sounds like something a 10 year old would say. The rest of it was alright.

4. overmydeadbody

overmydeadbody Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 19, 2004
    Anakin's whineiness would have been OK if it had been complimented better by Natalie's acting, or at least better lines for her to say other than 'Anakin, you've grown up' or 'sometimes there are things no-one can fix' AAAAAAGHHH! what a terrible line that is, and it's delivered like a piece of wood!

5. AnakinBrego

AnakinBrego Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2004
    Here's an excerpt from the screenplay!

PADMÉ: I do not like this idea of hiding.

ANAKIN: Don't worry, now that the Council has ordered an
    investigation, it won't take Master Obi-Wan long to find
    this bounty hunter.

PADMÉ: (frustrated) I haven't worked for a year to defeat
    the Military Creation Act not to be here when its fate is
    decided!

ANAKIN: Sometimes we have to let go of our pride and do
    what is requested of us.

PADMÉ: Pride?!? Annie, you're young, and you don't have a
    very firm grip on politics. I suggest you reserve your
    opinions for some other time.

ANAKIN: Sorry, M'Lady. I was only trying to...

PADMÉ: Annie! No!

ANAKIN: Please don't call me that.

PADMÉ: What?

ANAKIN: Annie...

PADMÉ: I've always called you that... it is your name,
    isn't it?

ANAKIN: It's Anakin. When you say Annie it's like I'm still
    a little boy... and I'm not.

PADMÉ: I'm sorry, Anakin. It's impossible to deny you've...
    (looks him over) ...that you've grown up.

PADMÉ smiles at ANAKIN. He becomes a little shy.

ANAKIN: Master Obi-Wan manages not to see it...

PADMÉ: Mentors have a way of seeing more of our faults than
    we would like. It's the only way we grow.

ANAKIN: Don't get me wrong... Obi-Wan is a great mentor, as
    wise as Master Yoda and as powerful as Master Windu. I am
    truly thankful to be his apprentice. Only... although I'm a
    Padawan learner, in some ways... a lot of ways... I'm ahead
    of him. I'm ready for the trials. I know I am! He knows it
    too. But he feels I'm too unpredictable... Other Jedi my
    age have gone through the trials and made it... I know I
    started my training late... but he won't let me move on.

PADMÉ: That must be frustrating.

ANAKIN: It's worse... he's overly critical! He never
    listens! He just doesn't understand. It's not fair!

PADMÉ cannot suppress a laugh. She shakes her head.

PADMÉ: I'm sorry... You sounded exactly like that little
    boy I once knew, when he didn't get his way.

ANAKIN: I'm not whining! I'm not.

PADMÉ just smiles at him. DORMÉ laughs in the background.

PADMÉ: I didn't say it to hurt you.

ANAKIN: I know...

There is a brief silence, then PADMÉ comes over to ANAKIN.

PADMÉ: Anakin...

They look into each other's eyes for the first time.

PADMÉ: Don't try to grow up too fast.

ANAKIN: I am grown up. You said it yourself.

ANAKIN looks deep into PADMÉ'S eyes.

PADMÉ: Please don't look at me like that.

ANAKIN: Why not?

PADMÉ: Because I can see what you're thinking.

ANAKIN: (laughing) Ahh... So, you have Jedi powers too?

DORMÉ is watching with concern.

PADMÉ: It makes me feel uncomfortable.

ANAKIN: Sorry, M'Lady

This scene in it's entirety changes everything!!!

6. Deeysew

Mar 5, 2005
    Lucas wrote that? Wow... I'll have to consult my AotC novel, if I ever find the damn thing. Thanks for taking the time to add that. :D I hope GL considers putting it back together that way for the next release. He extended the scene at the lars homested. This would be no different. I like it.

*thumbs up*

7. WLDB

WLDB Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2004
    That version of the scene makes it worse.

8. Deeysew

Mar 5, 2005
    How so? It changes Anakin from a whiny brat to a troubled young man. Youussa no like-ah deesah?

(Regardless, I expect changes to be made for the next version. More sex more violence. More Padme characterization. Something.)

9. WLDB

WLDB Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2004
    I change my opinion. Yes it is better. Now that I think about it. I only didnt like how they kind of laugh at him.

10. Ana_Labris

Ana_Labris Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Actually I think they should have kept Dorme laughing at Anakin and Padme's conversation because then people wouldn't have thought Anakin was being serious, but more uncomfortable and uncertain what to do. So yeah I suppose I like the scene more this way :)

11. AnakinBrego

Jul 15, 2004
    I found this excerpt of the screenplay in The Art of Star Wars Episode II Attack of the Clones written by Mark Cotta Vaz, on page 195. The whole screenplay is at the back of the book beginning on page 186.

Here's a link to the sreenplay I found online, you can see that George cut alot of dialogue out of this movie to shorten it's length.
    http://scripts.cgispy.com/newsboard.cgi?user=starwars8

12. AnakinBrego

Jul 15, 2004
    Mr Lucas do a re-editting of this dialogue now!!!!

13. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    That Dialuge was Hella funny. Lucas sure does love to make whiney Charcters. [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I especally love the I am not Whiney part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.