main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Does anyone think Darth Vader will *not* be in Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by MiamiJedi, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    All-new villain >>>>>>>>>>>> resurrected anybody

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    But still...

3. Lord TW

Lord TW Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2012
    Resurrections may fly in the comics (barely, and only to a point, at that), but they would come off as extremely cheap in the movies.

kainee and Toonimator like this.
  4. Tala Que

Tala Que Jedi Knight

Mar 15, 2013
    If they do bring Darth Vader in, they're really messing things up! But I don't think they will because they're smarter than that.

5. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    No Vader, but probably hints of the legacy Anakin/Vader left behind. Lord, I wish I knew what GL's treatment he wrote for the 9-episode story arc looked like when he wrote it all those years ago. I doubt everything, or even most, will be retained. But a lot of this has likely already been hashed out to some degree....has been for years, decades even.

kainee likes this.
  6. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    This latest rumor has me worried:

• So I was working one day here in NYC on a popular HBO show. And the main set designer (older low key gentleman) struck up a conversation with me. He noticed my Star Wars tattoo and changed the subject to Episode VII. He said one of his best friends was currently working on the script (with a few other writers). “But I don’t want to spoil anything for you,” he said.

“Um, uh… **** it. Tell me everything you know.”

“Well he’s only told me 2 things actually: 1) The story revolves around Han and Leia’s kids. 2) Darth Vader is back.”

I was confused by that last one. “But, wait, we saw him die and his body get burned.”

“You saw a suit get burned.”

“No, then we saw force-spirit Anakin appear at the end of Jedi.”

All I’m going to say is: Darth Vader is back. Who’s actually IN THE SUIT is the big deal.

So, there you have it. Take it with a grain of salt. This guy might have been trolling me. But he seemed sincere.

What do you think about Darth Vader coming back? Too much? Does it even make sense
    SOURCE
    Edit: Gotta star out the whole word.

kainee and Dra--- like this.
  7. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    I really hope not, but I'm worried that they'll shoehorn him into the movie somehow. The only way I think Vader in the movie (or in any movie in the ST) would work without it feeling so shoehorned is, like I've said before, a dream/vision sequence.

8. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Not really impressed with those "my father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate knows a guy who knows a guy" kind of rumors.

9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    We're gonna be getting a lot of really face-palm worthy rumors really soon... ugghh.

10. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Not that I am in favor of this. Because it would seem contrived unless there was a really good explaination. But I think was this report is suggesting is that only the Vader suit is coming back, not Anakin. It is trying to say that someone else will be in the suit. Afterall, someone could construct the armor again with the mask and the JEJ voice could be replicated with the different character other than Anakin inside. That COULD be interesting depending on how it is handled. As long as Anakin doesnt rise from the dead and return in the suit.

kainee likes this.
  11. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Having someone else in the suit is probably the only trick cheaper and less creative than magically resurrecting lil ol' butcher Ani.

Toonimator and Darth_Pevra like this.
  12. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    If they really resurrect Vader they should go all the way and resurrect Vader, not use some other guy.

kainee and The Hellhammer like this.
  13. iPadCary

iPadCary Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2013
    The OP makes a ton of sense.
    The sad, cold, hard truth is that, especially for Disney, the script is secondary
    and revolves around selling the merch after the movie comes out.
    That's 101% true.

However, it's bad enough you-know-who is directing this.
    Bringing back Vader would absolutely destroy any & all credibility this "New Star Wars" will have.

What, they can't come up with a good/bad guy just as memorable?
    Somebody to make you forget all about Lord Vader?

Yes, I know he's in all 6 movies, but still ....
    Sure, you can bring him back in spirit form again, like in ROTJ.
    But to have him really & physically come back, like as a clone or whatever?
    Nope.
    Not gonna happen.
    The outcry & backlash would probably kill the franchise outright.

14. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    I can't understand this logic of "script/story is secondary, they just want cash!"
    A good product = more cash.

And there is this weird, odd, crazy theory floating around, that...y'know... Kathy and Abrams might actually want to make a good movie? Crazy, right?

Darth Chiznuk , Darth_Pevra and eht13 like this.
  15. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    I'm more inclined to believe Drew McWeeney's assurances than that of a set-designer who claims to be best friends with, apparently, Michael Arndt... Vader being back, the suit OR the man, just doesn't seem like the grander, nothing-we'd-expect claims Drew made in his evisceration of the bogus Jacen/Jaina "casting call".

Vader--AT ALL--is clearly something a lot of fans are expecting in some form, or at least predicting. Especially the cynical "Disney's gotta make it's $4 billion back ASAP, Vader's the most iconic character, they're gonna use Vader in EVERYTHING" crowd.

More likely the guy was trolling Greenstreet... or, his best friend IS a writer, but isn't Arndt, yet claims to be one of the writers on VII (or was trolling HIM).

"Who is actually IN THE SUIT is the big deal"--also not something we'd never expect. The EU already gave us this kinda stuff... hell, the OT already gave us that. Who is Darth Vader really? Then we had Darth Krayt... who is he really? And when it's revealed, it's big for the readers but the main character just reacts with a "Sorry, am I supposed to know who you are? You're old."

It's a lame "mystery"... weak, unoriginal.

16. iPadCary

iPadCary Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2013
    And as far as the "Star Wars Is All About Vader" outlook goes -- not true!
    Sure, the first 6 movies are.
    But now that SW is to be a many-branched, on-going thing,
    by Episode XXIV, let's say, Darth Vader will just be one of many beloved characters in the SW mythos,
    not the main character in the SW mythos.

kainee and Toonimator like this.
  17. iPadCary

iPadCary Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2013
    And that's a good thing? lol
    He's a worthless hack, pure & simple.
    Hopefully, the franchise will recover from this bad first misstep & get back on track.

18. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
  19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe there's a Star Trek crossover and Dr. McCoy resurrected Vader using Khan's Magic Blood?8-}[face_clown]

kainee and Jedirush2112 like this.
  20. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    What really burns my butt is even if this wild rumor is true, and they are bringing the "Vader" (suit) back. It's STILL NOT VADER, it's another person in the suit. The mannerisms and attitude would be totally different. I really think this would erase 36+ years of Vader the Character and Cheapen him a lot. A copy-cat Vader is the worst villain idea of all time.

The ONLY way it would even be feasible (yet still would suck) there would have to be a CLONE of Anakin somewhere (I'm basically stretching using Force Unleashed ideas). This idea sucks, but at least it gives you the "real" (all be it a "copy" of Vader).

The other confusing part is if they are using the "Lucas Treatments", I seriously doubt LUCAS would resurrect Darth Vader. If this is true, then they are straying quite a bit from what Lucas had planned already.

kainee and Darth_Pevra like this.
  21. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, so I think the safe thing to do here is assume that this rumor is bogus.

22. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I agree completely. A resurrected Vader would be terribad, but having an imposter of him running around is the worst thing I can think of.

23. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    If Vader shows up, it will probably be as somekind of Nightmare Sequence one of the younger characters has, forcing Luke to explain his lineage. It can actually be the opening Sequece. A young Jedi, (Maybe Ben Skywalker, Jacen or Jaina Solo) Fighting off a determined Darth Vader only to wake up as Vader Slashes his arm off. That would get my attention!

o_O

darthfettus2015 likes this.
  24. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    An army of warriors dressed like Vader? A Sith homage to Vader, who destroyed the rule of two? Like Mandorians but gray/black trim Vader armor. How about Vaders (Sith) fighting Mandolorians. I think that sounds like fun. IMO.

If Vader has to be in the ST than this is the only way I can think that I might like. Otherwise, no. Or, I don't know how you could do it without it being hokey.

kainee likes this.
  25. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Someone else wearing Darth Vader's suit does not make them Darth Vader.

But this rumour seems seriously bogus, I can't see them going to all this effort to claim the ST will have a new original story and then go and bring back a dead villain. Lucas did that in TCW with Maul, but he's not in charge anymore so more sensible people should be making decisions.

kainee and Darth_Pevra like this.