main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Does Biggs seem a little sweet on Luke?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by LottDodd, Sep 17, 2011.

1. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    Maybe I'm reading too much into the fanny slap, but there is an interesting dynamic going on in the relationship between Biggs and Luke in the Toche Power Station scene.

(Please remain civil, I'm not trying to pass judgement here...)

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  2. Gundark31

Gundark31 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2010
    Yeah, I saw the homoerotic undertones too but I think that's just the result of our modern mentality were we see two men together and automatically assume they're gay.

Reminds me of the Burt and Ernie controversy, we are seeing something that just isn't there and its the result of our current social mentalities.

RLM had some funny stuff about this in one of his Star Trek reviews about Kirk and Spock, he called it the "notgays" were they insert female characters so the audience doesn't start thinking the male characters are gay.If Koo Stark had've been in that scene the gay undertones people read into it wouldn't be there.

3. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    This thread toes the line. It really isn't about Star Wars either. I hope a Mod locks it up before it gets out of hand.

Bobatron likes this.
  4. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    I'm not making jokes, or saying it is wrong. But I do wonder if that is part of the reason it has not been seen up till now. I think Mark Hamill is just trying to do a little bit of his whiney youth thing, and it is just too much for this scene... And Biggs is just trying to be "Big Brotherly", Maybe the scene would work if it was editied down to the bare bones.

And would it be so wrong if Biggs was gay?

5. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard the reason Lucas cut it was because of the political dialogue concerning the reach of the Empire and how it seemed too much like "American Graffiti in space." I've always rather liked the scene, though, so I would enjoy seeing it re-edited into the film if it could be done smoothly and without interfering with the pacing. As far as Biggs seeming "sweet" on Luke, I doubt Lucas intended for it to be interpreted that way. In my view, it's simply reading the scene from a more modern perspective, in much the same way people see the Frodo/Sam relationship in LOTR. But, however you want to interpret their relationship, it really doesn't change anything about the films, so it hardly matters either way.

6. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    The Anchorhead scenes were cut out primarily because they disrupted the narrative flow of the first act of the film & bogged down the story. Droids > Luke> Obi-Wan> Han & Chewie. No need to wander off on tangents in between.

There was supposedly also criticism of the "American Graffiti In Space" angle at the time, but all it really came down to was stripping away excess baggage. I've never heard anything about the political references having anything to do with the scenes' deletion, although one could say that they're unnecessary exposition that didn't help a sub-plot already slowing things down.

As for anything further to the relationship between Luke & Biggs beyond them being best friends - nothing there. None of the sloppy affection that led to many a Frodo/Sam joke, they simply act as two best friends would in such a situation - skyhopper (read: car) small talk, followed by a mild argument over what the future holds, then a gruff reconciliation & a brief farewell.

Pretty juvenile suggestion. You might as well try to find sexual tension between Maverick & Iceman in 'Top Gun'.

Hey, wait a minute...

Seriously, though, there's as much homoerotic affection between Luke & Biggs as there is between Luke & Han - and I don't recall anyone suggesting there was anything more to Luke & Han's relationship, ever.

Lt. Hija likes this.
  7. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Exactly what I popped in to say!

8. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    Han never "Goosed" Luke....

Maybe it's the Mustache and the Cape...

9. sonofcoruscant

sonofcoruscant Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 14, 2006
    I also like the scene. But no I did not find it particularly homoerotic.

10. Toma_Vaken

Toma_Vaken Jedi Padawan

Jan 6, 2016

"and I don't recall anyone suggesting there was anything more to Luke and Han's relations ship ever"
    are you..joking? being sarcastic? Have you never heard of Elusive Lover? It was dedicated to Luke and Han's less than platonic relationship. http://fanlore.org/wiki/Elusive_Lover_(Star_Wars_zine) (some of the drawings are kind of funny) Trust me it's been mentioned. And sure, I doubt the direction given to Mark and Harrison was to "play it gay" but with Mark's recent comments on Luke Skywalker's sexuality....Kind of solidifies the idea of any gay relationships Luke might (totally) be in.

But back to Biggs. OP he was totally sweet on Luke. How could you not be? Luke is great. Plus with that mustache/cape combo.....

PHIERY likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Letting this thread stay open for now; discussion needs to be Classic-Trilogy-based only, non-homophobic, and more substantial than posts upon posts of 'I would totally go for that actor because of [insert elaborate description of physical attributes].'

Discussion about Hamill's recent comments about Luke in the ST needs to be taken into that forum. Thanks.

12. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    No, They're childhood friends. Childhood friends are close to one another.

13. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    I would speculate that the separation from his sister at birth had Luke always looking for some sibling figure, Biggs became something like a brother figure and simply accepted this part in their relationship (or Biggs had a younger brother who had died and simply adopted Luke in a manner of speaking).

The trimmed-for-speed deleted Anchorhead scenes also showed that the other adolescents didn't care much about anything, the only characters that did want to do something else and more meaningful with their lives were apparently Tank, Biggs and Luke.

So I'd say they connected naturally because of mutual interests, despite noticable differences in personality and behaviour.

14. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Isn't that what guys do when they're BFFs? Slap each other's butts and smack each other's chest as a display of manly affection?

15. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    wow. people see what they want to see.

Bobatron likes this.
  16. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016
  17. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I never got this impression at all.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  18. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    This is probably the weirdest thing I've seen all day.

thejeditraitor and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  19. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    well they grew up together and finally made it to the big time and were fighting the Empire that they hated. he was just excited, lol