main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Does Bill Cosby get a pass?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jp-30, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  2. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Does the Murican prison system get Bill Cosby ass?

Ender Sai likes this.
  3. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    cosby still lashes the young

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  6. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Just heard that the judge has declared a mistrial in Cosby's case. The jury was unable to reach a verdict.

7. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    Mistrial means another trial can be started though IIRC of the law.

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    True, but it means starting all over again, with all sorts of pre-trial stuff and maybe changes in personnel on both sides. This could take quite a while.

9. Master_Rebado

May 31, 2004
    Yes,quite true.

Given I am never going to be called as a juror (I am in Australia) and thus not directly prejudicial to any potential re-trial my view is Cosby is guilty but of course proving such is all that counts.

For the time being Cosby is "innocent until proven guilty" despite the court of public opinion and the way the internet is these days.

Rolf Harris (a long time Australian entertainer) was found guilty of indecent acts against various parties and served time in gaol in UK and it has shredded his reputation and status.

In his case though the charges were proven by a court/jury (with the exception of the most recent charges where a jury could not reach unanimous verdicts).

Iron_lord likes this.
  10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Prosecution has already said they want to try the case again, and the judge says he wants to get underway in 120 days.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  11. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  12. Master_Rebado

May 31, 2004
    He might not want to cheer for victory just yet.

Iron_lord likes this.
  13. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Any word on what the split of the jury was? I was on a murder jury once, was 11-1 in favor of conviction, one little old Irish lady refused to vote guilty. Man did we hate her.

14. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    The nerve of her, voting for the conclusion she came to and not yours. How can people be so rude?

MrZAP likes this.
  15. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Vivienne, 11-1. not just my opinion.

Ender Sai and DarthTunick like this.
  16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It's better for the criminal justice system to lean towards innocence, not guilt, in my opinion.

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    How to think of Bill Cosby and the Cosby Show

As someone who grew up watching The Cosby Show and loved it, at least the first few seasons, I appreciated this article.

It might also be a reminder of how we can get an actor and a character mixed up. Cliff Huxtable was not accused of sexual assault by 40 women, Bill Cosby was.

That's what I remind myself when I question whether I am still allowed fond memories of the show.

18. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    As I posted earlier in the thread, no matter how the trial works out, Cos' career is done. After he dies, there will probably be a cooling off period of a few years. After that, people will start talking about separating the fallible man from the work, and how no one is perfect. Eventually, it'll reach the point where they can show "I Spy" re-runs and "Mother, Juggs and Speed" without feeling guilty. He'll never be as beloved as before, but there won't be a total elimination of his work. That's the way it usually works.

All I know is that my Dad, who had been a track & field coach and official, really laughed at Cos' routine about the mile relay. That's important to me. The rest of it is separately considered.

19. Master_Rebado

May 31, 2004

As far as the Cosby Show goes - sure.

I was introduced to Bill Cosby via his comedy routines (recorded) as "Bill Cosby" so fond memories is less easy for me.

Never was a huge fan of the Cosby Show itself as much as the comedy of the man himself when being himself about life (but then I am a stand up comedy fan moreso than a sitcom fan).

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    The thing is people are multifaceted. He can be a serial rapist and have had an annoying little brother named Russell at the same time. Laughing at the latter doesn't condone or forgive the former, or make it less important in the overall estimation of the man.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  21. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    So?

She believed the person was innocent. I would not vote guilty for someone I believed was innocent, even if it meant the hatred of 11 people I'll never meet again. Maybe you and the others were wrong (I know, I'm asking a lot, for someone on the internet to entertain the idea that they're not right about everything, but do try).

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  22. Master_Rebado

May 31, 2004

Some maybe want to laugh on and that's their right as is mine to not do so any longer however it's nothing to do with me blurring the fictional Cosby Show character and the real man Bill Cosby.

To each their own how they will view a person in this kind of situation.

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Vivec, you know exactly nothing about yankee's case, so it's not prudent to make any pronouncements about it. You don't even know if the lady actually believed the person was innocent.

I know, I'm asking a lot, for someone on the internet to entertain the idea that they're not right about everything, but do try.

yankee8255 likes this.
  24. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002