main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Does Bill Cosby get a pass?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jp-30, Feb 25, 2014.

1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    *Sexual assault accusations.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  2. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  3. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
  4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    To be fair, a hit-man is probably the best person to teach you how to avoid getting assassinated.

5. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
  6. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005

Considering there were some venues that still held the few comedy shows Cosby held after the scandal broke...

7. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  8. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Diggy and yankee8255 like this.
  10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You, me, my wife and a sheet. It will be an adequate time, baby!

11. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    When Charlie Sheen runs the STD prevention clinic, someone PM me.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  12. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    You're right, I don't know all the information. I only know what yankee said, and I will make my comments based on what yankee said. If yankee doesn't like that, they can either not say anything or give more information. Fun fact: when you post something on the internet, it's open to criticism. Yankee stated how they all hated this one woman for not voting guilty, and if you're going to actually sit and defend the idea of hating a woman for not voting guilty just because you don't like me, then you're even more pathetic than I thought.

MrZAP likes this.
  13. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I think you're great and in fact I was surprised you would make such a dumb post.

14. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    How is my post dumb? Yankee is literally talking about hating someone for not voting guilty. This is someone's life and livelihood at stake, I would think that you wouldn't be so ****ing flippant about it. Who cares what the facts about the case are? The point is that hating someone for voting differently than you on a jury is stupid as ****.

Jedi Merkurian and MrZAP like this.
  15. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Take a chill pill man.
    Or look at my avatar.

You have no information on that trial. Yankee did. We must assume he had a good reason to say what he did. You did not.
    Why is this hard to understand?
    Maybe the case was really clear cut. You don't know. So it would be wise to not have an opinion on it, or at least to not act smug and superior about that opinion.

16. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    We must do no such thing.

Who cares how clear cut it was? Yankee isn't god, the other 10 guilty voting jurors aren't god, if someone believes there is reasonable doubt, then that person has every prerogative to vote not guilty (which, btw, doesn't mean innocent, it means there isn't enough evidence to convict beyond a reasonable doubt). Hating on her is stupid.

Neither you not yankee have a case.

MrZAP likes this.
  17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Hey, the Bill cosby thread!

[​IMG]

18. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  19. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    After reading this quote,
    "Let's face it: She went up to his house with a bare midriff and incense and bath salts, What the heck?"

I can't help but wonder if the "juror" being questioned was actually just a random schlub claiming to be on the Cosby jury in order to prank the newspaper.

Remember, we live in a world where someone can prank call a news station and pretend to be from the FAA to deliver a racist joke....and in the thrill of the "BREAKING NEWS YOU HEARD IT FIRST HERE", the news media doesn't bother actually fact-checking anything.

At least that's what I'm HOPING happened here...

EECHUUTA and Juliet316 like this.
  20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I remember watching this prank call live on the air when watching MSNBC's coverage of Princess Diana's death:

DarthTunick likes this.
  21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Brian Williams loves a good prank.

Juliet316 likes this.
  22. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    My apologies for taking a bit to flesh out my jury experience story. Basic facts were that the black defendant was accused, together with a second defendant who was tried (and convicted) separately of abducting and murdering another black man. The abduction allegedly took place near a subway stop in Queens, the murder in the woods in a park on the Brooklyn/Queens border several hours later. The whole case rested on the defendant's signed confession, which was 6-8 pages long and incredibly detailed. The defense claimed that the confession was the result of the defendant being beaten by police, but there was no indication whatsoever that he had been.

IIRC, there were three black women on the jury, the rest white of varying ages. During deliberation, we took some time going over the evidence before voting. In the first round, there were a few abstentions, and the one not-guilty vote, an older Irish woman. We took some more time for discussion, and the abstentions quickly came over to the guilty side. One of them, one of the black women, told me later that she believed he was guilty from the outset, but wanted to make sure we spent enough time deliberating. So after several hours of discussions, we're at 11-1 and trying to convince the holdout of the man's guilt. Now, if she really had a reasonable doubt, that's her perfect right. But hen asked why she believed that, her only answer was that she didn't believe the police detective who conducted the interrogation. But she refused to support that with any facts, and she refused to enter into discussion with anyone in 2 days of deliberations.

Vivienne, neither I nor anyone on that jury are god. But that's not the point of our system -- we're jurors precisely because we're not god, but rather human peers of the defendant. if there had been evidence that raised a reasonable doubt, I'd have been the first to vote not guilty. (Don't forget, I take this stuff fairly seriously, as I'm a lawyer myself.) But there wasn't, and the holdout didn't even claim that there was.

My point with respect to the Cosby case is this: on the one hand, you have jury nullification, where jurors (as in the OJ trial) vote regardless of the facts presented based on some overarching concern. But studies also show that some jurors, specifically older women --especially religious ones, tend to vote not guilty simply because they don't want it on their conscience that they sent someone to jail, regardless of the person's guilt or innocence.

As it turns out, the jury vote was 10-2. One of the jurors has already come out and made the idiotic statements harps posted about. And this is what bothers me: you get selected for jury duty, then you have an obligation to listen to the facts of the case and render an unbiased judgment based on the facts presented. And that doesn't seem to be what two of the jurors did.

23. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Juliet316 and Master_Rebado like this.
  24. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Love this from Michael McKean
    [​IMG]

DarthTunick and CT1138 like this.
  25. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    The first course where refreshments would be pass/fail.