main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does CGI bother you?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Rogue_Pilot, Sep 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Pilot

Rogue_Pilot Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2003
    I just wanted to see how much people are actually bothered by the presence of CGI and does it take you out of the movie or can you accept it just as you accept a puppet?

I was never bothered by the CGI in AOTC and in fact was awe-struck by the battle of Geonosis. And I had no idea that all of the Clone troopers were CGI. Suddenly now it has been bothering me awefully that they're just 3D models and in my last viewing of episode 2 at the time of the battle I couldn't get over the feeling that I was just watching a cartoon. I can't really explain it and I do hope it will pass so I can enjoy it as I did before.
    Maybe knowing too much about the way they do things in the movie sort of ruins the magic in a way. Maybe I should stop watching all those making-of vids. :D
    Nah, can't help myself.

Anyway what say you? Are you bothered by CGI or do you treat it with the same suspension of disbelief that you do other elements of the films?

2. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    It bothered me in TPM the first time I saw it for about 5 minutes. Basically until I consciously realised that I was concentrating on the way the light through the trees falls on Jar Jar's body and clothes, rather than what was going on in the film.

Then I snapped out of it, and it hasn't bothered me since.
    :)

3. JediStarMoonstruck

JediStarMoonstruck Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2002
    It doesn't bother me much. In AOTC, Yoda bothered me some. There were times when he didn't look real, other times when he did; I was just used to seeing him as a puppet and not CGI.

That all disappeared when he and Dooku fought. :D

4. TheOmen

TheOmen Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 16, 2003
    And I had no idea that all of the Clone troopers were CGI

Ditto. If I can't tell the difference, it's all good.

5. QUEEN_LEIA

QUEEN_LEIA Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 29, 2003
    It when CGI are abused that when I have a problem. Luca_ did a good job on Yoda (he look so real) but the clonetroopers look so fake.

6. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    Love CGI. CGI mixed with live action and minitures looks fantastic. Love that CGI is being used to bring movie makers visions to life.

7. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    No not really. CGI is my friend and yours.

8. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    I like CGI...I don't have a problem with any of it.

9. JediHPDrummer

JediHPDrummer Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 23, 2002
    Why do people want every shot to be SO REALISTIC! Film is ART!!!!
    IMO, most of the shots in AOTC are realistic and Great.
    Some Shots in Naboo look like its coming straight from an impressionist Romantic Painting. Some Shots in Coruscant look like shots in the Art Deco Era. You get my point here.
    Does anyone look at a Picasso, Van Gogh, Monet or a Frida Kahlo Painting and say, "That looks Fake, That doesnt look Real at all, man that sucks!"
    Of Course not.
    Film is Art!!!!
    Film is ART!!!!!
    FILM IS ART!!!!!!

10. QUEEN_LEIA

QUEEN_LEIA Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 29, 2003
    Are you suggesting that every scene in a movie should be CGI(not real).

11. SteelLepp

SteelLepp Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 1, 1998
    I don't have a problem with the CGI myself. It did bother me a bit in its "infancy" during some of the stuff they did with ANH:SE, but I think its becoming better with each movie.

12. JediHPDrummer

JediHPDrummer Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 23, 2002
    No, i'm not queen leia. But with CGI, you can express yourself like a painter. It's easier and a very great tool. Like George says, its easier to control it by hand like painter with his pallete and brush.
    Like the Whole Droid Factory Sequence is like a Painting.
    But there are shots in AOTC that are completely realistic, but still Film is ART, its an illusion. I mean some shots in Tatooine in EP 1 feel like a documentary almost.
    See where im getting at?

This shot for example
    [image=http://www.sgtfretsurfer.com/Grilled-Sarlacc/s/i/naboo_bg.jpg]
    That looks like a beautiful painting

13. gator

gator Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 20, 2003
    cgi doesn't bother me

14. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    Nope. These movies couldn't be made without it.

I find it funny now that people know that the clonetroopers were CGI that some people will now proclaim how "fake" they look when they undoubtedly had no clue when it came out.

15. MetalGoldKnight

MetalGoldKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    I have no problem with CGI when it looks realistic. The only problem I have is when it's poorly done (i.e. Nexu at times) or when it's overly cartoon-looking (screaming alien thing at the beginning of 'Jedi Rocks' in the RotJ SE).

16. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Good CGI doesn't bother me.
    Bad CGI does.
    Most of the scenery and ship in space is fine.
    The CGI animated characters aren't always up to snuff, however, especially Jabba and Yoda.

Good cgi is virtually invisible--you can't spot it.
    Almost good CGI annoys the hell out of me because it's Almost good--like all it would have taken is a couple more hours' work.
    Bad CGI bugs me because, hey, why did you even bother.

StarGate SG1 has a combo of Good and Almost Good, with problems caused by budget constraints.
    Babylon5 had excellent CGI.

Lucas, who has all the time and $ in the world should easily be able to top the stuff in a mere TV show, but somehow is doesn't always work, and I have to wonder, "Why did they bother to settle for this?"

17. DanakinSkywalker

DanakinSkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2003
    I appreciate good CGI, anything in the Star Wars films qualify.
    Although, I am bothered by poor CGI, turn on nearly any movie on the Sci-Fi channel to see what I mean. 'Bugs' anyone? :shudder:

18. IKilledSifo-Dyas

IKilledSifo-Dyas Jedi Master star 2

Aug 6, 2003
    Good CGI doesn't bother me.
    Bad CGI does.

This is pretty much how I feel.I for the most part love the CGI in the prequels,but it bugs me that ILM can be very inconsistant.Take the scene in AOTC where Mace is walking through the senate halls.The background is all CGI and I had no idea because it looks completely real (to me anyway).Then you have the scene early in the movie where Mace,Obi-Wan,and Yoda are walking through the Jedi halls and the background just screams "This is fake!!!".It looks terrible and really takes me out of the movie.Another scene that comes to mind as far as being inconsistant is the one with the different separatist at the table with Dooku.The CG separatist all look pretty good (especialy the Techno Union Army guy,who I thought was a guy in a costume),except for San Hill of the Banking Clan.He looks completely unrealistic and sticks out from the rest of them.There are other shots in the movie tha bother me like this (The shaaks,Obi-Wan walking through the clone hatchery) but they are few and far between.

On a side note,I recently saw The Two Towers for the first time and was expecting to be blown away by the CGI because of all the hype.I wasn't.The LOTR effects company (forget their name) is a good couple of steps behind ILM when it comes to CGI in my opinion.The shots were pretty consistant with each other,but none of them could compare with most of ILM's work on AOTC (or TPM for that matter).The CGI just never quite looked real to me.And Gollum?I didn't buy that guy for one second.He looked like a cartoon.As far as seeming realistic,Yoda looked a lot better than he did.I thought even Jar Jar in TPM looked better than Gollum for the most part.I would say that I couldn't believe AOTC lost the effects Oscar to TTT,but after TPM lost to the Matrix,I can believe anything.

19. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Nope. The CGI in AOTC was really great. Heck I coudl not even tell what was and what was not CGI. Same with TPM. FOTR and TTT are the same way.

20. Cometgreen

Cometgreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2002
    As long as the director knows how to use CGI, and it looks how it's supposed to, I'm fine with it. I was amazed when Peter Jackson actually OK'd the idea of doing the CG Legolas grab-on-to-horse-and-spin-around-in-slo-mo shot. There are two things that digital doubles cannot do right now when composited in with real footage: Slowmotion and close ups. The Wachowskis, in my mind, are idiots for actually combining these two, twice!

GL, however, used digital doubles perfectly. I never knew they even had digital doubles until the DVD came out and I saw the documentaries. The only time he messed up were the close-ups of Jango. John Knoll and his crew, God love them, seem to forget that Jango's visor thingy is barely reflective at all. But both Jango's visor and the clonetroopers' visors are extremely reflective (though it's not so bad with clonetroopers, since you don't have a real one to compare it to). Jango's digital double also seems to be a little too fat, imo.

CGI is a tool, and as much as people like to say it, I've not seen Lucas abuse its use at all yet. Well, maybe the "Zam is a changeling" concept, but he claims that that's to make her more PC. *shrug*

Cometgreen, a big fan of Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within ;)

21. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    CGI doesn't particularly bother me.

Rick McCallum loves you!

22. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    "I just wanted to see how much people are actually bothered by the presence of CGI and does it take you out of the movie or can you accept it just as you accept a puppet?"

It only bothers me when its used inapproriately or in circumstances where a better alternative exists. CGI stormtroopers bug me (except in the wide shots featuring thousands) Watto, Jar jar, Coruscant, and battle droids do not.

Though I do admit to liking models more in most cases, and I think since the PT takes place before ANH it would have been better to make the FX more old school to make the movies seem older then the OT.

"These movies couldn't be made without it."

Huh? WHat about ANH, ESB and ROTJ??

They could of made the prequels back in 1983, they would be different, but they would of been good in other ways.

23. Rogue_Pilot

Rogue_Pilot Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2003
    Does KNOWING it ruin parts for you?

I loved the saber fights with Dooku but when I started thinkingabout the fact that 70% of the time he's all CG it kind've hurt the scene for me.

24. Naboo1

Naboo1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2003
    Not at all. It's great to see 1,000 warriors in a battle where before you could only show ten or tweleve.

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    the only problem I have with CGI is that the OT doesn't have enough...

They look tired and old compared to the perfect imagery in the Prequels...

rubber masks and glued toegether model kits are no match for a good computer animator at your side, kid...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.