main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does Chewbacca get to come back in Episode III??

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by PeterMayhew, Feb 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Woah, I'm honoured by your presence, Mr. Mayhew :) Welcome aboard!

I've always assumed that Obi-Wan got into a conversation (Obi-Wan knew Wookieespeak, or so I've heard) with the Wookiee for the first time and got some info about the Falcon and her crew.

BTW - if you're into baseball at all, I'm not Maddux, just his #1 fan. :D ;)

2. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    Peter--
    So is it true that you're always thinking with your stomach :D

Just kidding! It's almost lunchtime for me.

Was that you swinging on the vine in Return of the Jedi?

How restricted was your field of vision with the Chewbacca mask on?

3. Chyren

Chyren Manager Emeritus star 5

Sep 30, 1998

I heard a story that a magazine article about the size of your feet was what attracted the producers of Star Wars to you in the first place, Mr Mayhew! Or was that Eye of the Tiger (another immensely enjoyable performance, I might add, as the Minotaur)?

It is true that your body shape and body language is totally identifable with Chewie. It is what gave the character such life. Indeed, that is why Kershner could not use a double for Chewie when you were sick during ESB shoot, because only you could bring him to life. That's really saying something.

I think, in order to keep this on-topic for this forum, I should ask a pertinent question that has bearing on the Prequels:

Peter, we've all heard the varied 'backstory' given for Han & Chewie in various sources. Lucas has said that Han was "adopted" or brought up by Wookiees. Other sources say that Han 'saved' Chewie from slavery at some point.

Now, Lucas holds true to some of his oldest conceptions for the Prequels, but ignores the literature and stories not written by him since then, so stuff that he talked about in 1977 is *very important* to showing what we'll see in the new movies. For instance he said back then that the Stormtroopers were clones, and now we learn that they almost certainly are.

Did he give you a backstory of any kind or other details about the past of Chewie during the filming of the first movie?

Because if he did, this might offer clues as to what might be shown in EP3 (we already know what will be in EP2, largely).

I know that Lucas is rather vague, and doesn't tell his actors a great deal, but if he said something that indicates how their relationship started, that might offer a clue to whether we see Chewie or a young Han in some form. (I think seeing Chewbacca is much more likely than seeing Han, however).

4. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    It is an honor to be "speaking" to you Mr. Mayhew. The way Obi-Wan made that statement is exactely why I thought he had known Chewie before. Also the fact that it was expressed that Chewbacca was 200+ years old seems to indicate that he may have had a role to play in the Prequels. I have no doubt that if the opportunity does come up that Mr. Lucas will want you for the part. I have heard that when MTV wanted to award Chewie a medal that Lucasfilm said it would have to be you in costume or no one else!

5. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    This is so cool that Chewie's here.

I do have a question for Mr. Mayhew. I may be wrong, but I remember hearing somewhere that David Prowse was offered a choice between the roles of Darth Vader or Chewbacca and chose Vader because that seemed more comfortable than walking around in a large furry suit.

So, if that's true and Mr. Prowse had chosen to be Chewbacca, would you have had the opportunity to wear the Vader suit?

Also, Chewbacca is one of the fan's most loved characters, but if you had been given the choice, would you have chosen to play Vader?

6. Katriel

Katriel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2000
    Mr. Mayhew, welcome to the JC. The honor is ours to have you here.

I don't see why Chewie couldn't be in Episode III. If I'm correct isn't Chewie supposed to be about 300 years old in ANH? We should start a campaign to have Chewie included in Ep. III and make sure that only Mr. Mayhew gets to play him.

7. PeterMayhew

PeterMayhew Chewbacca the Wookiee star 1 VIP

Feb 6, 2001
    Commander Antilles asked about memories of shooting the original trilogy...hmm, that's a great question, but will take some time to answer...as wookiees only have short memories and long arms, but I will attempt to post some of those as time goes on. Be patient with me and I will do my best. There will soon be a website with a lot of answers to those questions on it...I have finally got a temporary page up in my name and the DFW TF.N are assisting me as fast as they can. But we will continue this discussion here as well. I will say this, my favorite scene was the Chess Game with the now immortal line..."let the wookiee win"... from C3PO....Have you seen the new action figure of Chewie from that scene?? I think it's pretty terrific...then, at the last show, one of the fans came by and asked me to sign her "Chip-N-Dale Chewie"...oh, my gosh!! It was too funny...she was right... what a pose!!!! I like it though!! We had a great laugh. Now you will all look at your Chess Chewie in a different way...

8. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    I don't see why we can't bring our favourite Wookiee actor back to play a Wookiee Senator or even a Wookiee Jedi. We had a Wookiee Senator in TPM, after all.

9. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Did you ever get hot in your Wookiee suit?

10. Hunter Of Winds

Hunter Of Winds Jedi Youngling star 5

Dec 5, 1999
    Peter, I'd love to see you play the role of Chewie's father in Episode III.

Hunter

11. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    We'd love to hear some stories and we can wait, Mr Mayhew :)

12. FORCEKIN

FORCEKIN Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 15, 2000
    I've been screaming "Wookiee Jedi" for the last four years.

13. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    So, you noticed the rather unusual stance Chewie's doing in the POTJ toy as well, eh? ;)

14. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    This will be a day long remembered.

<grin>

15. Chyren

Chyren Manager Emeritus star 5

Sep 30, 1998

Small note from an administrator (me)

PLEASE don't bombard Peter with lots and lots of questions all at once. I imagine that he is constantly showered with questions of this sort every time he makes an appearance, and although it must be nice to have lots of fans, it might be frustrating to just have thousands of questions thrown at you all at once.

Lets take it easy, this place is for fun and relaxation, for everyone. Make your conversation intelligent, don't ask things that are inappropriate or personal, or that can be easily answered on a website somewhere (like the renowned choice of roles between Prowse & Mayhew), so that we don't drive him away with our geekiness. :) I know we all have questions, but lets show restraint. This isn't like a chatroom interview, we have plenty of time..

Also, please refrain from sending PMs to Peter as much as you can avoid. I can imagine he will be swamped by them, so let us go easy and show our respect by not overwelming the man with unrequested messages!

:)

16. Wormie2

Wormie2 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    I guess as far as plot points, there could be a possibility for a cameo. Chewie was a prisoner, right? So, since Lucas included R2 and 3PO, why wouldn't he find a couple minutes of screen time for Chewie?

17. Beowulf

Beowulf Jedi Master star 5

May 28, 1999
    There is a great disturbance in the JC Forums. We have a new ally, Peter Mayhew. He could inform us of the upcoming movies.

18. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    One question I'd love to ask you Peter is how did you hear of this place, and what made you turn up? :)

Alls best and wishing you well. :) :) :)

EDIT: Missed Chyrens' request.

19. Darth_Holliday

Darth_Holliday Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000
    Whoah! This is the greatest day ever on this forum.

Sorry for being suspicious earlier--it just seemed too good to be true.

I agree that Chewie and Obi-wan knew each other before the Cantina scene in SW:ANH. They just seemed to meet up rather quickly once Obi-wan got there, plus Obi-wan seemed to understand what Chewie was saying. There certainly wasn't anything to indicate that the two of them were meeting for the first time. I think that a small role for Chewie in Episode III would be entirely possible, and a treat for the fans.

I also have the new Chewie figure with the chess-table. It's one of my all-time favorites. I have it sitting at the front of my display (I probably shouldn't have opened it, but I just couldn't resist!).

I know you'll be flooded with questions, Mr. Mayhew, but I can't resist asking just one: Did you get to keep that awesome crossbow? Surely they let you have it after the trilogy was done!

20. Darth Sin

Darth Sin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 14, 1999
    Mr. Mayhew! Just want to take a moment and thank you for visiting here in the forums. It is truly a great privilege to have you visit and chat with those of us who truly love Star Wars.

I do not have any questions at this time to ask you. I think it is appropriate for Chyren to lead in this endeavor. I am going to just sit back and enjoy anything you have to share with us. :)

Again, thank you! It is our honor to serve you in any way we can.

Ah!! The Mighty Chewbacca

Darth Sin!

21. PeterMayhew

PeterMayhew Chewbacca the Wookiee star 1 VIP

Feb 6, 2001
    Well, the wookiee is thinking with his stomach again and will be gone for awhile this afternoon. I should be back later today and will return tomorrow as well. Thank you guys for a wonderful time. Star Wars people are the greatest...Chewie

22. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    Heheh. This is in the wrong forum.

JUST KIDDING. Heheh.

:)

And, yes, what Chyren said.

Vertical

23. No blasters!

No blasters! Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 14, 2000
    LOL @ Vert.

24. DarthMarks

DarthMarks Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2001
    Hello Peter,

I won't ask you a question you have probably heard a million times before. My personal thought on Ep.3 is that you WILL be needed to portray the mighty wookie again, in order to explain Obi-Wan's knowledge of you in the cantina scene in Ep.4. I 100% support this idea, and I wish you luck in all your future endeavors.

Thank you for the memories.

DM

25. darthpeter70

darthpeter70 Jedi Youngling

Dec 6, 2000
    Hy Peter it´s me peter weel from the netherlands , you visited my starcon event in 1998 remember???.
    Well all the best to you and i hope you want to come again.
    peter
    http://starcon.starwars.nl

there ar some pics of you on my site from the event you might like them.!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.