Does Chewbacca get to come back in Episode III??

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by PeterMayhew, Feb 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: heels1785, Seagoat
  1. sacul-1138 Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Ok..I'll try and make my Question Short (and hope it gets answered...he is still here right?)

Were you sad to hear of Chewbacca's death in Vector Prime? and have you read it?
  2. Obi-Wan69 Jedi Padawan

star 4
  3. Yanksfan Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hey Chewie, can you hook me up with Han Solo??

Heh heh....uhm...just kidding.....

*Yanksfan bows out gracefully before further humiliating herself..*
  4. V8ER_H8ER Jedi Master

star 4
    This is amazing. For those of us who can't make it to gatherings where the actors are its nice to be able to communicate with them in another way. Thank you, Mr. Mayhew.
  5. Arseman Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Mr. M, when you get done with lunch, there is a group of people on another board (separatists from here) who would enjoy a visit from you.

go here:

Your thread is being edited becasue it is linking to a forum that is not pg rated.
  6. Qui-Gon Generic Jedi Master

star 3
    LOL@Vert! :D

Couldn't resist, could ya? ;)

And yes, heed the words of Chyren. I agree with them 100%. You did the JCF proud today, Chy. Thanks!

And yes, to return to the subject, I surely hope Chewie does make an appearance in at least one of the next two prequels.

//fingers crossed
  7. mono Jedi Youngling

I have just died and gone to heaven.
  8. Sith Acolyte Jedi Master

star 2
    See, now *this* is an interesting thread.

I wish I had something intelligent to say, but all I'm thinking of is silly-ass fan questions. I will restrict my remarks to welcoming Mr. Mayhew and hoping he enjoys himself at the JC.

And, uh, thanks for being Chewbacca and stuff...
  9. Wormie2 Jedi Knight

star 6
    I can't believe someone asked if he got hot!!! Of course he was hot! Geez......
  10. FandomsLink Jedi Youngling

FandomsLink here. I take that AKA seriously as I do try to link with Fandom in general.

For those of you that wonder, that is indeed Peter Mayhew, our favorite Wookie.

As most know, Peter is an *extremely* fan friendly chap and I am not surprised to see him on board.

Maybe we can get other "fan friendly" artists from Star Wars to join. We would all enjoy that.

Here is an F.Y.I for you. Peter Mayhew will be a guest at:

AlphaCon in Omaha, Nebraska in May.
    http://www.alphaconcentral.com/home.asp

So many guests being added. Hard to keep up.

Anthony Daniels will be the headliner, and master M.C. (He is good!)

Go ... enjoy ... and meet the man. Meet other Star Wars artists.
    You will have a great time.
  11. Vertical Former Head Admin

star 6
    So...

Let's presume for a minute that the mighty Chewie WILL return for Ep. III -

What types of roles might he plausibly play? Minor? Major? How would he fit into the plot?

Vertical
  12. Wormie2 Jedi Knight

star 6
    I should imagine it would have something to do with him being a slave.
  13. V8ER_H8ER Jedi Master

star 4
    We could start to see the Empire entering the slave market. Perhaps we will see Chewie battle for his, and his planet's freedom.
  14. DarthMarks Jedi Youngling

Peter,

Have you read this weeks Classic Moments section on starwars.com? I think you'll enjoy it...
  15. Tellesto Jedi Knight

star 5
    I'm with Wormie on this one.
    His role should be in submission to the Empire, sort of a bittersweet part that will make most fans happy to know that by E4 he's running across the galaxy with Han.
  16. Jedi Kylenn Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Hello Mr. Mayhew and welcome!

What was your favorite blooper or funny moment on the set for any of the SW movies?
  17. V8ER_H8ER Jedi Master

star 4
    Who would have thought the "Ep II&III" forum would end having the most posted to thread of all time? ;o)
  18. Talon Squad Leader Former Manager

star 5
    Yeah, exactly what Tellesto said. Episode One was kind enough to show us the Wookie senators...so maybe that little cameo will come into play later on in Episode Three, where the wookies are being marched off to work.
  19. bogofett Jedi Youngling

star 2
    even if there is not a place for chewbacca... perhaps mr mayhew could portray the wookie senetor. if there is a scene between the senators that oppose palpatine then having a wookie among them would make perfect sense.

oh and BTW i spent most of my childhood with one of those chewie belt things slung across my shoulder..hehe
  20. Darth_Holliday Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Well, the simplest answer would be a simple cameo. Just a tiny part in a crowd scene or something like that. But that doesn't seem like enough for such an important and beloved character as Chewie. I think he should get a comparable amount of screentime to what Threepio got in Episode One. That sounds about right to me. So, he needs more of a backstory than just a cameo.

I'm for the idea of showing him as a slave of the newly risen Empire, perhaps with a whole group of Wookies. While some of the writing that's been done on this is just EU junk, I think the original idea of Chewie's backstory almost certainly came from George Lucas's notes. It would be a great way to show the evil of the Empire, and illustrate their anti-alien stance (which can be inferred from the fact that their military is entirely made up of humans). Remember when Luke tried to place the shackles on Chewie in ANH, and Chewie had such a strong reaction? I think that is a good clue about his past. He hates the idea of being shackled.

Now, how to make Chewie stand out from the other Wookies? He needs to do something significant. Maybe he puts up more of a fight than the others, showing some of that fighting Chewie spirit!

I just think that he really needs to have a scene or two with Obi-wan. Despite what some have said, I never got the impression that they were meeting for the first time in the cantina. It always seemed like they had a prior relationship. Maybe Obi-wan could actually rescue some Wookies, and personally free Chewbacca, who in turn helps him kick some a$$ in a fight. That's a possibility.
  21. Tellesto Jedi Knight

star 5
    Exactly Talon!

And as for Mr. Mayhew returning in another role, it could make perfect sense.
    Lucas has used his actors again and again, and I wouldn't be shocked if he chose to continue to do so.
  22. Bantha_Tracks Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Mr Mayhew,
    I've always been amazed by the character Chewbacca and how each element of the suit came together. I've wondered, were your movements based upon any certain animals, and just how were you able to provide a body language to a facial expression and voice you couldnt see or hear?

Thanks for your time.
  23. Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Welcome, Mr. Mayhew! Hope you have a great time with us SW fans here. :)

Now if Ian McDiarmid comes back, this will be the greatest day in JC history. ;)
  24. Tellesto Jedi Knight

star 5
    That would be something to see!
  25. Talon Squad Leader Former Manager

star 5
Moderators: heels1785, Seagoat
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.