main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Does Darth Caedus suck as a villain?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Slowpokeking, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    If Anakin had lived to LOTF he would have fallen to the Dark Side because because he has a part of Palpatine's soul in him or something like that.

2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Well... I think Tahiri's whole involvement was to keep her relevant for when Anakin returns -- it would be strange if she was not involved in the story at all and then Anakin is back and so is she -- although given the age disparity who knows how that would have been handled. There wasn't really an end game for the character as far as I can tell. But then there didn't seem to be any sort of end game planned at all once Anakin wasn't brought back.

Anakin would have been written like Jaina in FOTJ, most likely. I think Denning has a specific sort of protagonist in mind, and Jacen didn't fit that mold, but Anakin and the Sword of the Jedi do.

Yes, and that would be to ensure that he flow-walks to resurrect Jacen.

3. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Did they really have to destroy Tahiri's character like they did? Sigh. I love the Vong aspect of her but by LOTF that was whitewashed and she missed Anakin. She was over that by the end of the NJO! She should have been with someone.

4. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Does anyone remember, I think it was SDCC 2005, but it was a panel on LOTF, maybe the announcement of the series or the subject matter of the series -- I seem to recall that a nine book series was announced set in the Sith era first and then it became the launching pad of the Legacy era -- anyway, I don't remember exactly what was said, but it stuck with me that a question was asked and either Denning or Allston answered, pretty sure it was Denning, asking if Anakin would be involved with Legacy of the Force in some way, and I remember correctly the response was that "an Anakin" would be in it. At the time, I believed they were hinting that Anakin Skywalker's ghost would make a return appearance since he spoke to Jacen in The Unifying Force and the prequel trilogy had just concluded. I thought after the series first ended that they must have been referring to Anakin Sal-Solo, but it was a huge tease at the time, and now in full retrospect with the way it was played up, I cannot imagine that they would tease that if it was Sal-Solo.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  5. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Well we did have Anakin Sal-Solo and then the ship the Anakin Solo. They must like trolling us.
    Yeah the series was supposed to be set in the Sith era but got moved. Would have been nice unless it became KOTOR 3.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  6. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I think those were intended to be foreshadowing rather than trolling. Once I read TERC, I immediately thought back to that panel.

Revanfan1 and Force Smuggler like this.
  7. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I'll take your word for it. I just news for it from here and NJOE.

8. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    I am desperately sorry that this didn't happen.

Skywalker Thing likes this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Remember when we thought that the Big 3 would bring back the characters who died from some mystical artifact in Crucible?

10. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    I like to think that Denning pitched Anakin's resurrection again for that book, hoping for a different answer.

11. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004

Yeah, I didn't expect it to bring back Jacen if it was true.

In an alternate timeline in which you have knowledge of the other timeline sense so you can appreciate the irony?

Because I imagine if the names didn't get swapped that things would otherwise be exactly the same. Except probably worse, because then I would be an Anakin "bleeding heart" Solo fan, and when he became Darth Vader II under Lumiya's guidance it would probably bother me even more. "Anakin, you can become the true potential that is Darth Vader because you have all your limbs!"

12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Probably.

Still waiting for Denning and company to declare that Caedus is a clone or something and Luke or Jaina find Jacen in an abandoned asteroid or something.

Skywalker Thing likes this.
  13. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    why would denning do that

14. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    No, I mean I'm sorry Denning didn't get to start an endless loop of Jacen and Anakin traveling back in time to resurrect one another as they keep getting killed in new ways.

Tbh though I wish they had just let him bring back Anakin. The books are garbage anyway, there would have at least been some entertainment value in watching them go completely off-the-wall insane.

Trip, Skywalker Thing and Riv_Shiel like this.
  15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    No idea. Just wishful thinking I guess.

Oh god. That would give me a headache. That might be enjoyable at first but that would be way too problematic.
    Give us an alternate timeline that allowed Anakin to live from when Caedus brought himself and Tahiri back in Inferno!

16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    _Catherine_ Yeah I guess there would be more amusement value if post-NJO literally became Denning's fanfic without editors.

After Force Smuggler mentioned NJOE, I went on their forums back to the beginning and was looking in threads, at first to see if I could find mention of the LOTF panel, and then out of morbid curiosity. Reading people excitedly talk about DNT and LOTF is like going back in time and hearing the Lincolns talk excitedly about seeing the play at Ford theater.

17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I think that I have to do that now. This won't be pretty will it?

18. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Just wanted to say that I literally laughed out loud at this analogy.

19. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    One of the many, many things I didn't like about LOTF was that the original hook, all the way back at the beginning, of a tiff between the GA and Corellia... actually wasn't bad. It sounded like a legitimate difference of opinion on how the galaxy was being run, without any villain as clear cut as the Empire or the Yuuzhan Vong, which could've been great - seeing a crisis where there might be bad guys like Thrackan stirring things up or taking advantage of things, but the basic problem was an honest disagreement that couldn't be resolved simply by killing the big bad and freeing the galaxy. As someone pointed out to Luke in the Hand of Thrawn books, people out there are going to disagree on things, it's not something you can always just dismiss as an Imperial (or Sith, nowadays) plot to stir dissent. Alas, that's not the story we got...

20. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    7. The one time Luke fights Caedus, the Dark Lord's completely overwhelmed. This sucks all drama out of the situation

Jacen fought better than that. But if your taling about the chair situation i agree.

Both Caedus and Luke look like idiots with the latter not realizing the former is evil and the former not being evil enough to be a Sith Lord.

strongly disagree. Luke tried to redeem him. you have to remember this whole series only lasted a few months real time. Luke does not get to see everything we saw as the reader. He had every little time to be aware of this and respond.

21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Solve problems by talking? You think this is Star Trek? ;)

Gamiel and The Compeer like this.
  22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I say that the Republic should have let them split and then just stand back and smile as the Confederation realise that all the toll and trade agreements they have disappear as they are no longer part of the Republic.

23. The Compeer

The Compeer Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 12, 2013
    They should have followed the traditional American example by allowing the Confederation nominal independence but using their intelligence service to replace the government with a pro-Alliance dictatorship.

24. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Traditional American example? Remember what historical faction was called the Confederacy? If U.S. Grant had chopped Jefferson Davis' head off and Abraham Lincoln turned out to be a Sith Lord...

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  25. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Nah, not talking. Could be anything, from a regional conflict ala Ukraine, with Jacen as Putin or if Corellia gets more members and forms it's Confederation, a large cold war between the Alliance and the planets that want to leave. You could've literally had anything with this idea, could've even split the Alliance into it's regional entities New Republic (or rump GA), Empire, Confederation, Hapans, Hutts. Makes for a more interesting story than what we kept getting with a Sith of the week. We also didn't need two anti-Jedi Chiefs of State in a row, just have Jacen (not as Caedus) survive and take over Daala's role in FOTJ. Would've been better than the "surviving Himmler becoming President of the US after being appointed to the position by the Pope" thing we got in FOTJ.