main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does Dooku know that Palpatine and Sidious are the same person?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by My young Padawan, May 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My young Padawan

My young Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 13, 1999
    I was just wondering. Was Dooku ever aware of the fact that Darth Sidious was also Palpatine? Dooku looked surprised when Palpatine gave Anakin the order to terminate his life. Was he surprised simply because the order was given by a politician, or because he knew that Sidious had at that moment betrayed him?

2. QUI-DON-JINN

QUI-DON-JINN Jedi Master star 1

Feb 2, 2005
    In the movie it appears as if he might, because of the suprised look on his face, but we're not given confirmation.

In the novelization, Dooku has a long conversation with Sidious on the Trade Federation ship and knows Sidious is Palpatine. I didn't like that part of the book because if you don't know Palps is Sidious, it's ruined much earlier than the movie's reveal of his character.

3. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    ive been thinking alot bout htis latley i think when palps told anakin to kill him he was suprised cause he thought him and his master were in this together and was suprised when palps told anakin to kill him. cause i think h knew sidous was playing both sides.

4. Darth_Altered

Darth_Altered Jedi Youngling

Oct 27, 2004
    They actually met at the end of AOTC, so I imagine that he did know. Unless, of course, he never actually looked at Darth Sidious' face!

5. KennyT

KennyT Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 25, 2005
    Yes he knew. Sidious trained Dooku in the dark arts. Do you think he had no idea who trained him? Besides he could sense his presence even if he never looked at his face. And in ATOC Dooku told ObiWan the Senate was being ruled by a Sith Lord.

6. My young Padawan

My young Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 13, 1999
    It is true that Sidious trained Dooku and that Dooku told Obi-Wan that the Galactic Senate was under the control of a Sith Lord (Sidious). I am still wondering if he knew that Palpatine and Sidious were the same person. It would appear silly if he did not know this, but stranger things have happened in that galaxy far, far away.

7. SithLord4488

SithLord4488 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    in the last movie i think yes, but i don't think he knew before that

8. Saora_Bin

Saora_Bin Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2005
    This begs the question of why Dooku and Grievous captured Palpatine. If this is explained in Clone Wars, sorry.

9. ClonedEmperor

ClonedEmperor Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    Whole point was to get Obi wa and Anakin onto the ship, if you ask me

10. Tyson

Tyson Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 8, 2005
    I choose to believe that Dooku knew that Darth Sidious, and chancellor Palpatine were the same person. After telling Obi-Wan Kenobi about how the senate was controlled by the sith I felt that was enough proof that Dooku knew Palpatines two sides.

11. chopman

chopman Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2005
    Yes he obviously knew him because Sidious is the one who turned him to the dark side and trained him. Sidious was the only Sith lord around remember? He was surprised because he trusted Sidious and didn't expect him to kill him.

What doesn't make sense is why he didn't just reveal Sidious's true identity when he was told to be killed.

As for why Palpatine was on the ship, it was another attempt at Palpatine to get the Senate to think that he is nuetral and innocent.

12. shadow26

shadow26 Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2005
    no it was another reason for him to stay in power and continue the war; remember the people wanted the war to end but with them capturing their "leader" the war had to rage on...which also justified Palpatine to have a personal assistant. Palpatine was a mastermind and could have done it all without anakin but then who else to have by his side then a hothead jedi with the superior young power to defeat dooku?

13. matrix_dark_jedi

matrix_dark_jedi Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2005
    dooku knows that palpatine is sidious, well at least is what i think, and palpatine/sidious was in a third side, because he betrayed the republic and the separatist at the same time.

14. DarthNidLoc

DarthNidLoc Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2005
    According to the novel he does. He is under the impression that the plan was to kill obi, thus enraging Anakin enough to turn to the darkside, then he would surrender, Anakin would let him live, Anakins hero status as the one who captured dooku and the Anger over Obiwans death would turn him against the order,Dooku would say he only had very recent knowledge of Sep atrocities that he would conviently blame on Grevious seemingly redemmed he becomes Palps right hand man, Order 66 the jedi die, sidious, tyrannus and vader recruit force users that the jedi didn't take in from the EU like Dathomir, Kiffar, and other planets would then be forcibly converted into a new Sith Army with Anakin/Vader as General, Sids/Palps as Emperor and Dooku/Tryannus as Second in Command. Palps had other ideas.

15. kirby2112

kirby2112 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 2002
    I absolutely believe he knew. Dooku knew that the Jedi would assume that he was lying about the Sith controlling the Senate, so if Obi-wan survived and told the Council, they would think he was lying. Lies and mistrust are Dookus ways, or so Yoda said. This would have the Jedi believe that Dooku was lying and that there was not a Sith controlling the Senate, so by telling the truth Dooku figured this would keep the Jedi looking outside the Senate for the Sith Lord. Another reason that I believe Dooku knew that he Palp and Sids were the same...a reason that Palp was taken from Corusant (spelling, sorry) was to get him off of the planet. The Jedi were coming close to finding out who palps was, so attacking the planet and taking him would get the jedi off his tracks. Dooku knew this and went along with it to help his master get off the planet (from what the book sort of eludes to).

The reason Dooku gives him the look before the beheading is because Sidious told Dooku that if Anakin doesn't beat Dooku, then it wasn't meant to be and that there would still be only two Sith. However, if Anakin does beat Dooku, Palpatine said something to the effect that Palps would "save him from further embarrasment", (paraphrase). Basically, he said that if Anakin is about to kill him, that Palps would stop it. So, you could imagine the suprise to Dooku when Sidious gave the order to kill him immediately.

I hope this makes sense...

Kirby

16. Starman1138

Starman1138 Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2005
    If he knew why didnt he reveal everything before Anakin choped his head off?

17. tephjo

tephjo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 30, 2005
    The movies do not make it clear and almsot make it look like he did NOT know.

I had assumed that he did in fact know, but the clone wars cartoons, nor the movies, confirm this.

The rest of EU is just that, EU.

18. sithlord85

sithlord85 Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 26, 2004
    yes he did, because he was shocked to hear palps tell anakin to kill him. If I recall in early drafts of the script Dooku runs up to palps asking him to do something, intervine on their fight to help him but he does not.

19. Jedi_Angel_Leia

Jedi_Angel_Leia Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2005
    Doesn't Dooku say in Episode II that the Senate is being run by a sith lord? And since the senate is run by Palpatine wouldn't that imply Dooku knows Palpatine is a sith lord?

20. Darth_Satus

Darth_Satus Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2005
    of course he does he clearly states it in aotc when he says sidious is controlling the senate.
    also he gives palpatine a ponderous look when palpatine tells anakin to kill him.

21. Maphisto86

Maphisto86 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2005
    I think that's the whole point.....

Dooku definitley knew Sidious and Palpatine where one and the same. The other reason why Count Dooku didn't reveal Palpatines real identity is because he was loyal to his master and knew eithier way he would die. Since he was a Sith Lord Dooku would have rathered the Jedi be defeated and the Sith to replace them, rather then allow their "corruption" of the Force to go on.

22. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    They Explain it in the Revenge of the Sith Novel too.

23. FurryFriend

FurryFriend Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 14, 2005
    Before ROTS, I don't believe Dooku knows. Dooku wanted to foster a seperatist movement because of his political idealism and the need to help star systems escape the trechery and corruption of the Republic. If you read Star Wars' databank, his profile stresses his idealistic nature. From the databank:

"Dooku was a political idealist. He felt that the Jedi weakened themselves by serving an institution as corrupt as the Republic."

If his point is to help star systems secede, he surely wouldn't knowingly ally with the head of the Republic.

As for Dooku telling Obi-wan about Sith infiltration of the Senate in ATOC, his statements never implied he knew or that the Chancellor was a Sith. He could have meant Trade Federation or individual Senators were under Sith influence.

Perhaps Dooku eventually found out between EpII and EpIII. But evidence of him knowing is sketchy and debatable before ROTS.

24. The_Chosen_One1

The_Chosen_One1 Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2005
    Yes, Dooku is aware of Palpatine being the Sith Lord because as he fights Anakin he wonders why Palpatine is rooting him on. He also ponders whether or not he really wants Anakin to kill him. Also, right before the part where Anakin cuts his head off, Palpatine urges Anakin on and Dooku remebers what his master always told him, "Treason is the way of the Sith."

25. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.