main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does ESB go against NJO?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi_Solo, Feb 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mandalore74

Mandalore74 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    So to clarify, the Rebels are above the galactic plane and looking at a nebula with a red star at its center, correct?

2. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    Oh, for cryin' out loud, just call it the big swirlie thingey with a shiny thingey in the middle! :p

3. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Mandalore correct. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the red nebula from marvel 50.

4. Nom Anor

Nom Anor TFN Books Staff star 4 VIP

Mar 4, 2000
    I'm pretty sure IAmTheDarkside is correct. I seem to remember this being answered by an official source. Maybe it was one of those "Ask the Jedi Council" deals.

5. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Yes, they were above the galactic plane but still within the galaxy, what they were looking at was a red star according to the ESB novel. We see it has a nebula of gas surrounding the red star in the movie.

6. Nom Anor

Nom Anor TFN Books Staff star 4 VIP

Mar 4, 2000
    I couldn't tell ya. I haven't read the book. That sounds good to me though.

7. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    What NASA thinks on the subject:
    July 24,1995 - Andromeda Galaxy
    April 6, 1996 - Andromeda Nebula

Note, comparing apples to apples, using the same NASA source - Picture of the Day. NASA calls it both the Andromeda Galaxy as well as the Andromeda Nebula. They've called it the Andromeda Nebula after they've called it the Andromeda Galaxy. Furthermore, this is (one of) the premier aeronautics and space institution in the world. Suffice it to say, either one is a valid name for its true name, "M31."

And from encyclopedia entry:
      "Andromeda Galaxy,
      cataloged as M31 and NGC 224, the closest large galaxy to the Milky Way and the only one visible to the naked eye in the Northern Hemisphere. It is also known as the Great Nebula in Andromeda"
    It is neither fallacy nor appeal to ignorance to call Andromeda by its names. [face_plain]

8. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Obviously Nasa can't make up there mind. Well ok if it's called Nebula now, instead of galaxy. I'll start calling it nebula.

Of course what is seen in the movie isn't a nebula/galaxy, but a red star with dust floating around it.

9. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
  10. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    It could be a protosystem. The star in the middle is just then growing in mass enough to attract all that dust, which then spins and incinerates, forming the actual star, then some of it drifts off the star, cooling and becoming rocky bodies in the system.

IT could be the galaxy (but this is unlikely due to its high rate of speed and it appearance - a galaxy would be much bluer on the outsides and redder in the middle)... remember, the galaxy doesn't just stop... it slowly peters away into deep deep space... they could be just at the edge of really deep space.

Or it could be a nebula or such.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.