main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does George Lucas deserve all the criticism he gets?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Darth Xalfrea, Apr 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    No one can deny that Georgie is the mastermind behind everything, but let's not forget that he has been known for...questionable decisions on his part.

In short, does George Lucas deserve every criticism he gets? Lazy director? Poor writer? CGI fetishist? Disney sellout? Etc?

2. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    A tricky question to answer and one that is probably easier to answer without thinking about it. I suppose YES is the obvious one....

....BUT without him and his passion for fantastical stories, film making and B-movies, we wouldn't have got 'Star Wars', simple as that.

His films, loved or hated, have spawned too much material to count but won over millions of new and old fans, all generations and introduced the saga and it's myth to a whole new world with the prequels. They raked in the money and are loved by many.

He may not have the obvious skills or continued acclaim as some classic and new directors/writers we know so much currently with the ground-breaking films and award scoops, but that's not his fault. He's doing what he can do to the best of his natural ability.

Let's not forget his enthuiasm to bring us all the merchandise like books, toys, video games etc from his films. People may not like them, but many more people do and the enjoyment and hours of fun he's brought to everyone is something not everyman can do with a vision.

I have to say my answer is No. He's made choices that have upset some and not been to what they expected, but this is his story and his idea so we really have to accept the choices he makes, but remember he's doing it for his love of exciting cinema and family friendly adventure... and a few billion dollars on the side. ;)

3. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    No.

But I will say that he is well known for not being an actor's director, and while that is not a fault, I do wish he had had the hand to develop the characters more to better balance against the special effects.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  4. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Not in the slightest. He CREATED Star Wars, why is this question even being asked? [face_rofl]

5. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Do you deserve the amount of criticism that George Lucas gets?

6. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Gene Roddenberry created Star Trek, but he's not exactly looked back with 100% affection among the Star Trek fanbase, at least to my knowledge.

7. Lea-El

Lea-El Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 13, 2005
    He created a galaxy, give him some slack.

8. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Bit of a difference though, Star Wars has always been George's (at least until the Disney deal).

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    He deserves a little bit of criticism.

10. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    the thing about Lucas is:

in the immortal words of the Eye Of The Tiger song he "changed his passion for glory" to me he never stayed true to himself.

He also has a frustrating habit of changing what he says on a whim, so any structure is removed from me taking ANYTHING he says with any trust.

What he has to say about his creation I'm sadly not interested in, unlike say Carpenter or even Spielberg. Because I kniow he will be saying something completely contradictory the next week.

As far as I'm concerned he can do what he likes with his creation, if we wants to change Vaders suit to a pink one with yellow spots, who am I to complain? but respect goes both ways

don't treat your fans like we're a bunch of fools.

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Gallandro and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  12. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    well

opinions vary

although sell out is too strong a word to use

13. P.Sam

P.Sam Jedi Padawan star 1

May 31, 2011
    Back in 1977, George didn't intend Star Wars to be what it is today. A huge and successful franchise. He simply wanted to make a good film of a space adventure. Along with the success of it he took care of Star Wars for decades. So, one cannot doubt his devotion for his creation. He had a vision of what this storie should be, as a saga and went all the way for it. Now, is there things that could be done differently or improved? Absolutely. George has it's default and qualities as filmaker but as a man as well. Now he decided to retired from the SW universe, after decades of involvement in it. He carefully choose who was in better position to carry on the legacy of SW. Did he make the best choice? Time will tell but he thinks that he has. If there a criticism I would make right now about George Lucas is that as a reader of SW novels (and at times comic books) he didn't gave much consideration for these stories if any in his film/series projects. But as I said, he is known to have a vision and to stick to it.

14. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    If George Lucas had not had Marcia Lucas, Star Wars would not be the cultural icon we have today. Oh, and basically everyone in the cast. If George had Star Wars the way he originally intended it to be, you wouldn't even know Star Wars. (Not to say I'm not thankful he was the creator, but he himself did not make the films what they are.)

15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Says who? That's just an opinion, not a fact.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Darkslayer like this.
  16. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Thanks Captain Obvious.

17. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    It's not even an opinion, it's speculation. Cultural response is hardly predicable.
    But even if it as true (which we will never know), Lucas was still the one who hired the cast and the editor. So where is the difference? It still goes back to him.

18. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Of course he doesn't. He does things the way he wants to, despite immense pressure from countless morons who think that they somehow own his creations. We may have brought him success, but we did so because we liked his way of doing things. He has no obligation to fulfill our desires when we decide that we've grown tired of his way. We're free to walk away at any time. Noone's holding a gun to our heads.
    If anything, he deserves respect for remaining George Lucas - and his bashers deserve to grow tired of Star Wars.

- But why must you confront him?
    - Destroy the Sith, we must.

/LM

19. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    Star Wars is GL's creation and until recently his world...it always amazes me that he gets so much critisum for 'ruining' SW?? Yes he's made some decisions that have left me scratching my head but then if he didn't what would the point of having a SW's forum to discuss it....the fact it's not perfect makes it perfect.

The things I like about SW I watch and buy and the things I don't I don't....simple.

Jabba_the_hud likes this.
  20. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    No he doesn't deserve it, he created Star Wars and we should be thankful for that!

21. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Is George Lucas immune to criticism? No.

Does he deserve the criticism he actually does receive? No way, at least, not all of it. He's a filmmaker, not a werewolf.

22. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    nah, people are just super picky about star wars, specially becuz it has been around for so long.

23. Thefinalhack

Thefinalhack Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 11, 2013
    Bloody hell what does everyone have against this guy he created a entire universe made peoples lives worth living and what does he get: criticism

The only time he truly let us down was by selling the franchise to the antichrist (disney) but then again he is an old man and he had to pass the burden of this galaxy far far away to someone else

Sent via my astromech droid

24. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    To quote my favorite golden robot: "Here we go again."

25. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    People can critique his films just as they can critique any films, pointing out the negative and the positive, but there is no reason for the criticism to get personal and hateful, and many people seem to respond to him this way nowadays.

First, many people describe with words that are typically only used for moral condemnation. GL hasn't done anything wrong. In fact, he seems to be a great employer and a really generous guy. He plans on giving virtually all his earnings from his sale of Lucasfilm to charity. There are things bigger than Star Wars, and in the real world, what GL is doing is admirable.

Second, it's ridiculous that anyone should hate GL because that person thinks GL made a bad film. First of all, try making a film yourself. It's not that easy, especially a successful sci-fi fantasy film (Tron, the Last Starfighter, Stargate...) Also, consider what Nolan said before he made TDKR: How many great third films in a series are there?

Well, GL tried to make a 6 film series. SW and TESB are both in the top 20 on imdb and ROTJ is in the top 100. ROTS has a 7.7 score on imdb, which is stronger than virtually all 23 Bond films and virtually all non-Nolan comic book films. Also on an ongoing force.net poll ROTS is running a close 2nd behind ESB, and it is well ahead of ANH and ROTJ. So, among fans, he's clearly had 4 successes out of 6. That's not that bad.

In fact, who else has made his own fictional film universe other than GL? Harry Potter, Bond, Twilight, LOTR, Narnia are all based on books. The only ones I can think of are the Matrix films and Pirates of the Carribean, and does anyone here think that those hold up even close to as strong as the SW saga?

If you read GL's 1977 Rolling Stone interview, what he set out to do then, he accomplished in spades, and while he accomplished his goals, he made tons of people happy and including this forum that has had 20 million posts about his work.

Does GL deserve people giving him such a hard time?

I think the answer is abundantly clear: No

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.