main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does George mean "Dark" will also entail more nighttime scenes?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Vonn, Mar 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vonn

Vonn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    If you watch TPM and AOTC, you can distinctly see tremendous changes in lighting (mostly in regards to time of day).

For example, watch TPM and notice that the majority of scenes seem to occur during daylight hours (while only a few take place at night).

In AOTC, the majority of scenes take place when the sun is about to set (and a even few more scenes take place at night).

Though this type of pattern is not present in OT, we know George is trying new things visually with this trilogy. Do you think when he says "dark" that George also stylistically means things will happen more often at night now?

I'm just saying that it looks like the movies are getting darker time of day wise as well as thematically.

2. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    I think you are correct. I suspect that Ep3 will feature few, if any, daytime scenes. Maybe a couple after the last battle of the Clone Wars ends, because everyone should be happy and the Republic will be victorious. Then Palpatine asserts himself into the position of Emperor perminately, which will mean things will get dark again.

3. CrazyB

CrazyB Jedi Youngling star 1

May 17, 2002
    I think you're correct. Along with that same idea, hopefully there will be more scenes that actually take place in space. PLEASE George, give us a massive space battle worth seeing!!

4. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Hmmm....what's the point in trying to top any of the space scenes from ANH or ROTJ?

Are we really going to see something better than that A-Wing pilot corkscrew his fighter into the bridge of the Executor? I don't think so.

Well, I'm not saying I don't WANT to see a space battle...but I was pretty happy with the Geonosis battle too.

And I agree with the nighttime scenes - it is surely the "twilight" of the Jedi and the Republic.

In fact, that's my new name for Episode III: Twilight of the Republic.

You heard it here first.;)

5. Goldfinger

Goldfinger Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 2002
    As the sun finally disappears over the horizon so will the man we know as Anakin and the republic. As the moon rises so will Darth Vader and the Empire.

6. atomik

atomik Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    I'm going to go against the grain here and say I'd like more daytime scenes.
    ESB is a dark movie but alot of it takes place on the white Hoth and blue and red Bespin.
    It can still be 'dark' without being dark, if ya know what I mean ;)

7. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    Atmosphere defidentally plays a large part into defining the general mood of the film. By using dark backgrounds, GL could get the "dark" mood that he seems to be looking for.

8. ISD_Devastator

ISD_Devastator Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2002
    I'd think that the Darkness comes from the mood: military buildup (the Republic is nothing compared to the Empire), the Clone War, Palpatine getting more power (-> Emperor) and such.

Darkness without actual darkness.

9. Vonn

Vonn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    I understand what some of you are saying about how a film doesn't necessarily have to be dark lighting wise in order to be dark.

However, I'm sensing that George is going through a kind of lighting theme here.

For example, many people perceive Blade Runner to be very dark movie. However, try imagining the film taking place during the daylight hours and without the rain. Suddenly, the movie doesn't seem as dark if you look at it that way. Also, look at what David Fincher did in Se7en. It was also cloudy and raining throughout the entire movie until they caught John Doe at the end.

I think George is doing something similar, and I do feel he is intentionally doing this. For example, on AOTC director's commentary, Rick McCallum mentioned that the meeting in Padme's apartment was originally scripted to be at night, but was changed around to be an early evening scene.

In fact, whenever I think AOTC in terms of colors, I always think orange, like the sunset when the troopers are loading onto the stardestroyers, or the sky during the final battle on Geonosis. For TPM, I generally think of blue or green because of the daytime blue skies and green grass of Naboo. Even the skies of Tattooine were a brilliant blue, but in AOTC the skies are suddenly more orange, like a sunset. Just an observation.

I think it would be really neat to see a Clone War battle raging on into the night.

10. TenorAprentice

TenorAprentice Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    totally agree with the sunset idea

but in the Encore special, George elaborates and says it is dark...not quite as dark as a Quinten T. film, but along those lines.

Now that is a very different kind of dark (especially pulp, which takes place predominately during the day and is very sunny).

11. Bjork

Bjork Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2002
    I agree - and even for the few daylight scenes the colors probably would be darker then the crystal clear blues and greens etc. etc. that we saw on Naboo and Tatooine in the previous films during the day.

-Bjork.

12. jMo_Skywalker

jMo_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 2002
    I must admit i laughed when i read the topic, but when i read ur post it makes sense- its just like anakins fall from grace. In TPM he was a good kid- very "light"- AOTC- the dark side was setting in hence sunset- 3 may be alot of night scenes showing his full descent to the dark side....

13. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    It would be pretty cool to have a huge battle in the dark. Just able to see laser blasts. That would be different.

14. scuiggefest

scuiggefest Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    I've said it before...

Episode 1 - Disney Cartoon
    Episode 2 - Bond Movie
    Episode 3 - Batman

According to Unrelated Info Episode 3 will resemble Tim Burton's Batman. Gotham City - where it's always night. We'll probably catch barely a glimpse of sunlight in the whole film.

15. winter_chili

winter_chili Jedi Master star 5

Nov 6, 2002
    In fact, that's my new name for Episode III: Twilight of the Republic

Twilight is the time right before dark so it would be better for ep2

16. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    In fact, that's my new name for Episode III: Twilight of the Republic

That would have been more appropriate for Episode II. Since the Republic is likely to have gone by the end of Ep3 twilight has already passed.

17. Vanthorne_OX

Vanthorne_OX Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2002
    rodan70 wrote: "It would be pretty cool to have a huge battle in the dark. Just able to see laser blasts. That would be different."

My thoughts exactly. I keep picturing a nighttime battle over water. It's always fun to watch fireworks go off over water at night. Picture explosions in the night. Shadows. Lightsabers ignite. It would be cool alright.

For some time now, I've suspected that Naboo will show up in Episode III. But my primary argument against myself was that Naboo is just too bright and cheery looking to be in Episode III - unless some real dark things are afoot. However, that all changes if its nighttime. ;)

18. Darth-Mouth

Darth-Mouth Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 18, 1999
    I think there will be night time scenes but that's not really anything new. The coolest "dark" scene in AoTC was when Anakin cut the electrical cord and fought Dooku in the dark. It was always a clever way to show the fight in a way that didn't involve Christopher Lee moving around a lot.

I think the last battle of the Clone Wars will be the first scene of Episode III, and that it will be a massive space battle. One thing that could top ANH and RoTJ would be if we see Anakin as "the best star pilot in the galaxy" and seeing him do things with the spaceship that we have not scene before. How cool would it be if the opening scroll panned down to a planet surrounding by trade federation ships and suddenly an armada of Jedi Starfighters and TIE Fighters appear fighting together!

Dagobah is also dark and the conventional wisdom is that we will see that planet in this movie. Also scenes on Tatooine could be dark, if Obi-Wan has to smuggle Luke to the Homestead.

Also, if there is a "volcano battle" that will likely take place on some permanently dark planet as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.