main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Does it bother anyone else that both of the main twists are ruined by the prequels?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by EternalStutter, Feb 11, 2015.

1. EternalStutter

EternalStutter Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2015
    When I introduced my girlfriend to Star Wars for the first time, I decided to try the Machete Order...and to my surprise...I didnt realize that Ep 3 actually ruins the twist in Ep 6.

It saddens me that people who are just getting into Star Wars, seeing the movies for the first time, or younger generations watching the saga from Ep 1 to 6, will undoubtedly have the two main twists completely ruined for them.

Granted, the movies ARE old and the world knows Vader is Luke's father/Luke and Leia are siblings.
    But you know there's going to be that person/group that will watch these movies chronologically...and it's a damn shame if you ask me.

Anyone else agree? (Somewhat atleast?)

enigmaticjedi and lovelikewinter like this.
  2. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    The twist in TESB you mean or the twist of Leia? Either way it takes out both of them but the Leia reveal is far better to find out in ROTS first because then it's feels far less last minute. Knowing that Leia is Luke's sister all along but they don't know makes so many things work far better.

Soon it won't just be the prequels that "ruin" the surprise but everything in the movies, TV, books, comics etc going forward in this new continuity.

It's all over.

For all those new children that see TFA first it is going to tell them all the "surprises" that were revealed near 40 years ago now.

Actually using that order you talk about ruins a whole lot of surprises and story for people who don't know the story. The best ways to watch them for new viewers is either I-VI, IV-VI then I-III or even IV,V,I-III,VI.

Any way is good as long as it has all 6 movies.

3. Thom Skywalker

Thom Skywalker Jedi Master star 1

Dec 1, 2014
    Yes!!! It bothers me a lot!!

GL should have let Anakin just burning on Mustafar... We could have believed he had died there...
    Palpatine shouldn't have given him a Sith name on-screen....

The babies names: unnecessary....
    The baby girl being given to Organa: unnecessary.....

Those simple omissions would have allowed the audience to learn things and get surprised along with the heroes....

4. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    The best viewing order for a first timer is 4,5,6 then the PT. You can always skip 2 if TPM leaves a bad taste and go with the decent 3. All kids should see the OT. It is a necessity for any person, along with Indiana Jones, Superman the Movie, ET, the good animated Disney to get them into movies.

My friend just had a baby. We actually had a talk about this. He will really only get to see 9 in the theaters, but when he is old enough for Star Wars, we are starting him with 4,5, and 6. The original theatrical cuts, so he will know that Han didn't shoot first- he was the only one who shot. Then Greedo died. The child will never know the Special Editions.

Agent007 likes this.
  5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    No, it doesn't bother me at all. I saw the OT before the PT, so it didn't really affect me, and I just don't care how it affects others, they're just movies. I'm not bothered on the behalf of the next generation, I don't think it's a big deal, and I'm pretty sure they won't care, either.

It's certainly not a shame, much less a damn shame.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The members of the next generation living in my house living in my house definitely didn't care. And I don't either.

The only way to really preserve the impact of the twist would be to, one, show the OT first to someone who has been living under a rock, and two, make sure the rock-dweller has to wait three years--under that same rock--between watching ESB and ROTJ.

It's just not that important.

mes520, maychild, Taalcon and 2 others like this.
  7. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    It doesn't bother me, and it doesn't make much difference at this point. If I have a child and he or she shows interest in Star Wars, then i'll show the kid the films in release order so they see it the same way I did.

8. PapiNacho

PapiNacho Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 14, 2015
    Episode 3 handles the sister twist much, much better than Episode 6. Obi-Wan is the best, but even he doesn't make the exposition worth it.

9. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    No

It's like asking if you're bothered by the OT ruining the plot twists of the PT
    The very fact that the person who seems to be the main hero suddenly becomes a broken villain over time is far more devastating and impacting than a sudden dramatic revelation. It's emphasized even further by the fact that most stories with prophecies have them end up being realized (which of course DOES happen, that being a plot twist of its own strengthened by the PT) but by the end of ROTS, it seems that it was not true after all

This is the part where I'd normally point out that this is highly unlikely, but instead I'm going to use my time to express my belief that it's reprehensible that simply because you have a strong preference to do things a certain way that you wouldn't even allow a child who knows nothing about SW to choose to view it how they feel is best. You have my condolences that you've been pained so by revisions to movies you like and that you dislike a certain set of movies, as it seems to have really traumatized you. So for that, in all kindness and respect, you have my pity

10. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014

Its not just me, both his mom and dad are in with this. We want him to enjoy Star Wars as we did and that means seeing the Star Wars we grew up on. I'm sure that he will eventually see the SEs, but he will know the context of them. Its no different than only showing a child the Special Editions and not the originals, and that somehow is seen as a good thing.

Sad as it is to say, the people who grew up on the OOT and those who grew up on the SE/PT will probably never see eye to eye.

11. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    They are not twists anymore thanks to I,II and III, so yes, they were ruined. The guestion is whether you don't like it or whether you don't care. I don't care.

12. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I'd agree that the Leia twist is better now it appears in ROTS, however I never thought that the twist in ROTJ worked particularly well it seemed a bit rushed to me.

I would turn the question on its head and say that not only the twists of the OT but also many of the things that happen in the OT made the PT a less sexciting prospect before it was released, as we knew many of the things that had to happen or be set up.

13. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Wow, who knew that the PT was originally so risque? ;)

AndyLGR likes this.
  14. RedVad

RedVad Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 29, 2012
    Lucas blew it.

Audiences could have been tricked into thinking Darth Vader was a new character and that Anakin was dead.

Padme's fate should have been a mystery until Leia tells her story on Endor.

Thom Skywalker likes this.
  15. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I like the idea of Padme being spirited away maybe and we don't see the birth of the kids. But its an argument that many people may say it should have been shown, but unfortunately I think one of the desires of the PT was to try and explain the origins of as much as it could without people joining the dots.

16. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    the thing is there are other twists. If you havn't seen the OT first then you don't know that Anakin become's Vader and the clones turn evil and all that. So it just changes thing's.
    I always thought it would be interesting not to show Vader in the suit at the end of ROTS , so that the first time you see him in ANH , a new viewer would really be wondering if it's Anakin in there.

17. EternalStutter

EternalStutter Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2015
    Damn...I'm LOVING that idea

Force Smuggler likes this.
  18. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    yeah before the movie came out people were all hyped to see Vader in the suit again, but i kept thinking you know stylistically it would work maybe even better to leave that out.

19. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    With it being so widely known now at least in the Western nations it seems rather difficult for me to even see those things as twists anymore. It's such old news. However, the handling of the PT regarding those aspects leaves a lot to be desired for me.

20. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    No. It doesn't matter. After all, I know all the twists already, and I still think the OT is amazing.

Besides, it would be damn near impossible to shield a potential new viewer from knowledge of one of the most famous plot twists of all time. Even if you could pull it off, the amount of effort required would just be ridiculous for something that's so inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.

Iron_lord likes this.
  21. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    Even if you haven't seen any of the SW films, chances are pretty good given popular culture that you know something as significant as Vader being Luke's dad or Luke and Leia being twins.

Iron_lord likes this.
  22. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Not really. I guess I get what people are saying, but to some degree thanks to pop culture and so forth, a lot of the "twists" are already ruined. Namely Luke's parentage and Anakin being Darth Vader. I feel like Leia being Luke's sister isn't as well known, but that's just my opinion.

23. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    "It'll be a very different experience, because when Darth Vader walks into that spaceship with the princess, they're going to think, 'Oh my God, that's Anakin!' and they're gonna see Luke and think, 'Oh my God, that's his son!' And rather than a surprise when he says, 'I am your father,' it'll be like, 'Oh my God, finally he's told him!'"

--George Lucas, Guardian Unlimited.

"If you see them in order it completely twists things about. A lot of the tricks of IV, V and VI no longer exist. The real struggle of the twins to save their father becomes apparent, whereas it didn't exist at all the first time [audiences saw Episodes IV, V and VI]. Now Darth Vader is a tragic character who's lost everything. He's basically a bitter old man in a suit.

"I am your father" was a real shock. Now it's a real reward. Finally, the son knows what we already know.

Its a really different suspense structure. Part of the fun for me was completely flipping upside down the dramatic track of the original movies. If you watch them the way it was released, IV, V, VI, I, II, III - you get one kind of movie. If you watch I through VI you get a completely different movie. One or two generations have seen it one way, and the next generations will see it in a completely different way.

It's an extremely modern, almost interactive movie making. You take blocks and move them around, and you come out with different emotional states."

--George Lucas, The Making Of Revenge Of The Sith.

Why? Why not like the kid enjoy it for himself with the SE? Why not let him have his own experiences rather than foisting your own upon them?

I was born in 78. I grew up with the 80's versions of the OT, with all the first changes that Lucas made in place. And you know what, I, like a lot of people, enjoy the SE's and the PT just fine.

Well, Drew McWeeny did try it with his sons, back when the Blu-Ray's came out, but he had to go the extra lengths to make sure that his kids didn't find out about Vader.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-...cial-series-with-a-first-viewing-of-star-wars

24. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Oh, I must agree. I do so wish that people could just accept "I like this, I dislike this, but I won't berate you for disagreeing"

All I'm saying is that, in general, not specifically in this real life case, I think it would be ideal to inform the kid of the history of how SW was made without showing any bias and then let the kid decide for themselves. I think letting people do that would ease the tension between generations

25. shafty

shafty Jedi Master star 2

Dec 4, 2014
    Hey, it's all still a twist to the characters involved! ;-)

mes520, L110, bstnsx704 and 3 others like this.