main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Does it bother anyone else that both of the main twists are ruined by the prequels?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by EternalStutter, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    OT and then PT we have

Who or what is Vader?
    What was Anakin like?
    Why did Vader fall and kill Anakin, the Jedi Order and Republic fall etc?
    What were the Clone Wars?
    What happened to Obi-Wan when he died? Is that his voice?
    Will the DS be destroyed?
    What was the Emperor like?
    Who is Yoda?
    What was Obi-Wan like as a padawan?
    Who is the other?
    Is Vader Luke's father?
    Will Han Solo be rescued?
    Who is the Other Skywalker?
    Why shouldn't Luke underestimate the Emperor?
    How did the Emperor cause Anakin to fall?
    Who is Mrs. Skywalker?
    How did Anakin become a Jedi? How did Obi-Wan and Anakin meet?
    What happens to all PT characters not in the OT?
    We then end the Saga with Yoda vs. the Emperor and Anakin vs. Obi-Wan and the birth of the twins.
    Ending it while finding out how everything came to be for the OT makes for a wonderful experience imo.

lovelikewinter likes this.
  2. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    You misunderstood me. I wasn´t complaining about the "twists" not being twists anymore. What I was trying to say is that I don´t care that some fans feel that episodes I, II, III ruined them. There is the certain part of the Star Wars fanbase, that had a lot of years to come to terms with the fact that once I, II, III will be made, in the context of the Saga as a whole, those two twists won´t be twists anymore. A lot of them still haven´t.

Lanoree likes this.
  3. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    this is the ultimate question. The answer is FEAR. why do established fans try to force their version of Star Wars on new fans? What are they so afraid of? They dont want their daughters and sons seeing the PT and OT as equals, they dont want new fans having more respect for the clones and less respect for the stormys. Its almost like this need to control how their children see the world. The best and fair and cheapest way to introduce new fans is just give them all 6 films as a gift and leave them be. Let new fans naturally watch the movies on their own. Why is this so hard?

Valairy Scot, Game3525 and Darth Koo like this.
  4. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    just watch the ot first. problem solved.

lovelikewinter likes this.
  5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

That's only because you grew up on that. It is a truly different feeling when you're a newcommer seeing it I-VI.

I dunno. Everyone should have their own feelings, not being carbon copies of ourselves.

maychild, CoolyFett and Darth Koo like this.
  6. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Well just like the PT sets things up to be answered by the OT, the OT sets lead up things up to be answered by the PT. Former works better for you? Good. OT then PT works for me. Makes it more personal and important to me since that's how I grew up with it. Finding out how everything came to be for the OT is a good experience. Speculating for years on how did Anakin fall? What were the Clone Wars? How did Palpatine become Emperor? What happened to the Jedi Order? etc. The OT gave us a wonderful starting point and countless hours of speculation on how it came to be. The story evolves differently but it works. Just like how people speculate what would happen to Anakin, Luke, Palpatine etc. It isn't a lesser experience. It is how pretty much everyone saw it before ROTS was released. Fans of 1-6 should see it 4-6 1-3 to get that experience as well and vice-versa.
    And to the people who see it 1-6 the first time they are obviously going to pick that way because they saw it that way first just like people who saw the OT first.

Leave it to personal preference. Tell them that the story is PT then OT but that they were made OT then PT.
    If people want to show the movies the way they saw to other people I have no problem with that. Makes sense as a bonding moment. Would be a boring thing to have everyone agree on the way to watch it. Though telling them what not to watch is a no-no imo.

7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    That I agree with.

8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    It's a start I suppose.

9. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I'm kinda pissed about the OT ruining, destroying, erasing from existence the PT surprises.

I am in talks with legislators, we will have all improper viewing orders banned.

Think of the children!

10. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Two responses.

1. [​IMG]

2. **** the children!

Lanoree likes this.
  11. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    What about the big revelation about R2 being BB-8's father?

RUINATION

Sarge likes this.
  12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    No, Ruination is a brother from another mother.

[​IMG]

:p

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  13. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Does it bother anyone else that both of the main twists are ruined by the prequels?

Me. I get very hot and bothered about it.

Then I have to go and have a cold shower.

14. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    You will be surprised what the individual takes away from the movies. If they are not spoon fed the way to view the films. People are afraid. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering. I sense much fear in this thread.

15. Lanoree

Lanoree Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2015
    Going back to the original question:

Nope. Doesn't bother me at all. I'm an original generation Star Wars fan and I think those of us in that generation need to let younger, newcomers to the franchise have their own experience. Ours was special, always be. I will always treasure that but younger fans have a different experience with SW and I'm sure it means just as much to them as ours means to us. You can always suggest to a kid: "Hey, let's watch the films the way I saw them when I was a kid. There's a cool reason why you should see them that way." If they're interested, that's great! But it ain't necessary to love Star Wars.

Besides, anyone who doesn't already know those twists from films made nearly FORTY YEARS AGO isn't living on planet Earth to begin with.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  16. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    My nephew is just being introduced to Star Wars. He has played the SW lego games and knows the characters and such, but he has no idea that Darth Vader is Anakin Skywalker and he has no idea that Anakin becomes evil. He has no idea of what Palpatine is up to or that he is really the master sith lord.

We just finished AOTC were about 40 minutes into ROTS when he had to go home. But he was asking me as we watched when Darth Vader comes into the story and if there is a person under the mask. And he LOVES Anakin. All I could say is, "just wait and see!". No idea how he will react when Palpatine says, "henceforth, you shall be known as Darth Vader" and then when he sees what forces him to be put into the suit. To me these revelations are way more shocking to a young boy who loves Anakin than the sudden out of the blue revelation with no dramatic build-up to it.

Watching 1-6 has revelations every bit as shocking, if not moreso than the ESB moment.

L110, Seagoat, Valairy Scot and 3 others like this.
  17. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

I actually agree with this. The films aren't reliant on "twists" per se. But they do have many surprises and satisfying reversals within them.

I think some people underrate the impact of seeing a movie for the first time, let alone a suite of films with all the colour, scope, and brilliance of Star Wars.

And nice anecdote. :)

Seagoat and maychild like this.
  18. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    One of the biggest reasons I advocate PT-OT is because.... well, who wants to end a magical saga on such a dark/depressing note? I always cry for the last stretch of ROTS several times, who wants that to be the last thing they feel from a viewing?

Maybe you could share your nephew's thoughts about that in the thread for I-VI first time viewings? I wish I could have had that experience....

mes520 likes this.