main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does it get anyone else down?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by DorkmanScott, Nov 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    to tell you the truth it does the opposite to me it lifts my spirts, like the puppets to pixels, that made me want to try even harder so one day i could be one of those lead animators

2. Shawn PTH

Shawn PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    Dorkman Scott is just jonsing for TGF to come to life =) Then hell be able satisfy his creative urges.

3. Golden-Y

Golden-Y Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 18, 2000
    TGF? What's that?

:D

4. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    I watched the puppets to pixels documentary then went and looked at my CG and started crying(okay not really but I did feel incredibly lame).

5. ultimateguy

ultimateguy Jedi Master star 3

Jun 18, 2002
    As amateur fanfilm makers, we have to keep in my mind that all of the films that come out these days have immense crews. The Lord of the Rings wasn't done by just Peter Jackson, but by many other producers, writers, special effects artists. They even had a workshop that would do anything they wanted, because New Line Cinema gave them a beefy 300 million dollar budget.

So when you make your own film, put it into perspective. I look at Lord of the Rings and say "It took hundreds of people to make that." I look at my fanfilm, and say "It took 4 people to make that."

So just because all of these films are at such grand a scale, don't get discouraged. If the filmmakers around here had the same resources and money as these "professionals", the movies popping up these days would be even better.

6. Art_Vandalet

Art_Vandalet Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 23, 2002
    get me down? no, i watch it for the good show; special effects are nice, but i'm not going to make a living out of film or video production (even if i did, my thing would be drama). so take heart and watch it for entertainment and not something to deface your own work.

7. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    winxmmm, as someone who applied to and was accepted by USC, I can tell you that no admissions officer is going to look at all of that work....

8. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    Max, maybe you misunderstood or I put it wrong, when you apply to the film school one of the requirements is a portfolio list.

On my list I included all of those things with a 1 paragraph description (what they asked for) and 1 screenshot of each (didn't ask for, but whatever, it's proof I did it).

Of course I know they won't look at the actual projects, they make that quite clear in the directions... NYU requires a 10 minute video, though....

Cya
    Mike

9. Duke-of-ERG

Duke-of-ERG Jedi Youngling

Apr 2, 2002
    Not down a bit. :) I look at the films in question, and see the good and the bad. Mainly episode Ew. I see that the main part of EVERY film is the human element. 140k of cgi won't do it, you have to create characters long before you make them move a certain way. If anything, the paper-thin nature of the new trilogy have enhanced my view of why the OT is a masterpiece. I'm not down, I am renewed about story, screw the fx.

10. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    I like the PT, I like the characters, and I like the CGI. I like Episode 2 better than any other SW movie. I don't think comparing characters in a movie you've had 25 years to get to know vs. characters you've had 3 years (and in some cases 6 months) to get to know is a very fair comparison.

11. Duke-of-ERG

Duke-of-ERG Jedi Youngling

Apr 2, 2002
    Yeah, haven't heard THAT rant before. In the beginning there was one film. And in that film, you know they better endear those characters to the audience by the end, and they did. These new ones are riding the wave, pale imitations. Back on topic, the once-great trilogy relied on the human aspect, as once did Lucas. That's where you find what inspires.

12. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    Yeah and i've heard your rant over and over too. Stop making excuses to bash the PT. If you don't like it, fine. But quit bringing it up at every chance you get. I should start taking random shots at LOTR.

13. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, since this thread's completely off-topic now anyways...and I'm over my panic attack (thanks all for your encouragement).

As I said in the DVD thread, the problem with the PT (which didn't bother me much until I saw the cutscenes on Ep2) is that, I have to finally admit, Lucas is HUGELY sacrificing character to cram this grand backstory plot (which really wasn't designed to be made into films) into three two-hour flicks.

What burns me most is that it was THERE conceptually...and it wouldn't have hurt the movie at all to leave it in. But Lucas (and, I suspect moreso, Burtt) were so intent on making it a shorter film that they cut the good stuff.

Then again, I happened to love LOTR for it's story and use of character while others found it slow. So perhaps Lucas knows better than I what it is the unwashed masses desire. Certainly the box office attests that.

But erally, would anyone have walked out if it had been an extra ten minutes? Please.

Sorry. No more ranting for me tonight.

M. Scott

14. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    Well I guess I'm part of the "unwashed masses" then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.