Discussion Does it matter if the new cast is cares abot SW or not?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Episode VII and Beyond (Archive)' started by Kay Suhyun, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Kay Suhyun Jedi Knight

star 1
    I have no problem with actors looking the new movies like just another job as long as they do their best, but some might disagree. Share your thoughts.
  2. BigAl6ft6 Force Ghost

star 5
    Probably not but they'll make up stuff anyway with a boilerplate statement ala "Well, I was AWARE of Star Wars but just how rich the universe is I didn't know until I was in it!" or something like that. As for if they're fans beforehand, I could care less. Hell, I could care less if they hate the movie as long as the performance is good.
    Last edited by BigAl6ft6, Apr 29, 2013
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. Pro Scoundrel Force Ghost

star 4
  4. Iefan Jedi Master

star 1
    In terms of the actual job I don't think it would change any factors, however for ME it would be disappointing for someone to be able to get the job of a lifetime like being in Star Wars and not appreciating their position. Also, I think it is possible for an actors fandom to alter their performance. If I was a professional actor and I was cast in Star Wars I would give my entire being to the part even if it was a Jar Jar Binks character.
    Last edited by Iefan, Apr 29, 2013
    JainaSoloYJK and Sum-Wan like this.
  5. Feng Shui Engine Jedi Master

star 1
    Star Wars is so ingrained in pop culture and it feels like almost everyone has seen them, so I think it'd be hard to find a Hollywood actor who doesn't at least have some appreciation of Star Wars, be it an old love of the first trilogy or thinking they're just neat movies. For example, Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, Sam Jackson and Jimmy Smits all had a great appreciation of the first trilogy before signing on, if I recall correctly.
    Last edited by Feng Shui Engine, Apr 30, 2013
    Sum-Wan likes this.
  6. chris hayes Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I'm sure they will is care "abot" SW I mean who wood not [face_devil]
    Jedi_Lantern and JainaSoloYJK like this.
  7. Echo-07 Force Ghost

star 4
    IMO I don't think the actors have to be fans like us who can discuss every bit of menutia ad nauseum. But I would hope they are fans and have a healthy respect for the Franchise. And I'm not really concerned since the vast majority of people in HW are influenced by SW in some way.
    Darth Chiznuk and DarthBreezy like this.
  8. EHT Manager: New Films

Manager
    star 6
    I don't want to read or hear an actor say the equivalent of "I was aware of SW but never really got into it, this is just a role I took." Someone may say something like that too, just with a more positive spin on it. Those are the people I don't think should get the job for this.
  9. Son of a Bith Force Ghost

star 4
    Agreed.

Alec Guinness thought SW was rubbish, and Harrison Ford didn't seem to care for it much, at least initially. And their contributions were and are indespensible.

Meanwhile, Samuel L loves SW, and his performance? Not so indespensible.

I know this second point is a matter of taste, and can be argued, but I truly believe that the actors don't have to "care" about SW, at least initially. They need to care about their performances.
    Last edited by Son of a Bith, Apr 30, 2013
  10. GGrievous Prequel Trilogy Trivia Version 2.0

Game Host
    star 5
    Alec's letters to his friend were amusing. Now when I watch ANH, I think about his "rubbish dialogue" comment. :p

Then again that was in 1976 when they were making the first Star Wars film. I would be disappointed if JJ just hired his buddies. If Zoe Saldana's interview were true, I have a bad feeling about Saldana's "I want to be a hot alien princess in Episode VII."
    Last edited by GGrievous, Apr 30, 2013
  11. Son of a Bith Force Ghost

star 4
    lol yup. "Tennyson Ford"
    GGrievous likes this.
  12. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    "new cast is cares abot"
    :oops:
    Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  13. Son of a Bith Force Ghost

star 4
    I am excite.

[IMG]
    Last edited by Son of a Bith, Apr 30, 2013
  14. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    JJ Abrams: Please, come see my movie. If no success, I will be execute.
  15. Son of a Bith Force Ghost

star 4
    I will introduce you to my sister - she is number six prostitute.
  16. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
  17. EHT Manager: New Films

Manager
    star 6
  18. jedimikey Jedi Master

star 2
    I think that most younger actors might not have the understanding of what the original "Star Wars" did for the film industry (the birth of the Blockbuster, special effects like rotoscoping, the "film franchise", etc). However, everyone understands it pop culture significance, and can probably appreciate getting a part in it. It makes little difference if they're fans or not if they're good actors.
  19. clone3131 Force Ghost

star 4
    I is think is that is most is actors is these is days is will is view is it is as is a is job is. But is they is then is will is realize is how is big is it is is.

-C
  20. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Most of the original cast didn't care about it and they performed well. Actors are paid to do a job, the director should make sure they do it properly.
  21. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    If the cast care about Star Wars slightly more than the title of this thread was concerned with grammar, we will be in moderate shape...
  22. Darth Claire Force Ghost

star 4
    As long as they give good performances and make an interesting character, then I don't care about the actors personal likes/dislikes of Star Wars.
  23. Placeholder Force Ghost

star 4
    This sums it up for me
    Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  24. EHT Manager: New Films

Manager
    star 6
    Have to say I'm a bit surprised that I'm the only one so far who would prefer that the actors getting these parts actually liked SW before getting a call from a casting director... interesting.

Edit: Re-reading these posts now, I see I'm not quite the only one... others have leaned this way at least a little bit.
    Last edited by eht13, Apr 30, 2013
  25. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    The actors should let their hatred of the series flow through them.