main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Does Kanan Have to Die For Luke's Destiny?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, Jul 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That would be fitting for him.

2. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    Have anybody suggested this way? Him becoming a light side user, just that he is not a jedi. Just like ashoka, she isn't a Jedi anymore. It is like the Inquisitor, he was never a sith, but a dark side user.

Difference:
    Dark Side user - One who uses the dark side/hatred/aggresion etc (duh)
    Sith - a dark side user+enemies of the jedi+wants power+has old sith traditions like the sith magic we see in the sixth season (yoda arc)+follows the rule of two+uses the name darth, maybe more, but these are the basic stuff a sith has to be

darth ladnar and Tommytom like this.
  3. Tommytom

Tommytom Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2015
    I'm still undecided on this. While it may be somewhat wishful thinking, I don't think what Yoda said to Luke in the OT means that all the other Jedi/Jedi-in-exile are dead and Luke is literally the last person in the galaxy who is a Jedi. Maybe that's what it originally meant, but as time goes by, producers, directors and writers can change the "meanings" or "interpretations" of those lines - sometimes for the good, and sometimes... it makes no sense. That's my main concern with Disney. What if they say "Oh, Yoda was just lying to get Luke to kill Vader."? That wouldn't be so great because it just doesn't seem like Yoda. Now, forgive me, this example might not be so great either but I'm not trying to write the narrative, but perhaps they could touch on how all the former Jedi/Jedi-in-exile have pretty much... lost their way? Kanan hid his lightsaber for a very long time. Ahsoka was expelled. Ben Kenobi completely forgot his old identity, Obi-Wan. Perhaps, although going crazy, Yoda was the only one (before his death and Luke becomes a "Jedi Knight") who hadn't lost his way. I mean, he was the wisest Jedi and the Grand Master of the Order for quite some time. That way it is more feasible that Luke was a Jedi Knight and not some "phony" one, and with this interpretation in place, it could mean that other "Jedi" survive throughout the OT as well. Perhaps they even live to help Luke restore the Jedi Order! For Ezra's case, well again, you could say Kanan had lost his way for quite some time (we've seen some conflict in the show), and again, user of the light side doesn't equate Jedi Knight. Again, this could be wishful thinking, but I also think it's a possibility and a good explanation if Disney doesn't want to kill off all the Jedi/Jedi-in-exile/former Jedi we encounter in the show and anywhere else prior to TFA.

4. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    The events of last season seemed to make an even stronger case that Ezra, and especially, Kanan have to go. One excuse viewers had earlier was that Yoda may not have known about them when he was talking to Luke in TESB/ROTJ. When they went into that temple, it became clear that Yoda knew about them; he even interacted with them. Also, it seemed that Yoda "sensed" their existence even before his conversation with Kanan. I don't think his first words were something like: "Surprised I am to find that alive you are still are." So, it seems for the show not to conflict with the films both Kanan and Ahsoka will have to die. They may have not have finished their training, but Kanan is trying to teach Ezra according to the Jedi code, so he's very much acting like a Jedi and becoming more like a Jedi everyday. Ahsoka was pretty far along in her Jedi teachings, but maybe Ahsoka will have come up with a new philosophy that differs from her Jedi teachings. I doubt it, though. Also, Luke had a philosophy that didn't totally align perfectly with Jedi teachings, but he becomes a Jedi.

I think that Kanan/Ahsoka will probably have to be offed for there to be no contradiction, but it seems that Rebels is more of a kid's show than the Clone Wars was. The Clone Wars regularly showed good characters, including tons of clone troopers getting blown away. Rebels rarely, if ever, shows direct killings. (You simply assume that an explosion has taken out stormtroopers or something like that.) I can't imagine they'd kill off a child character like Ezra. Perhaps he won't count as a Jedi since his training won't have progressed very far.

Vader killing Ahsoka would make a lot of sense, but I hope they don't simply have Vader be a killing machine. Sith are allowed to have attachments. They could do something more dramatic and interesting with that besides Vader coldly killing her.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  5. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014

Lucas was pretty involved with the TFU development but more concentrated on the production of TCW movie and series which was occurring at the same time . You can read The Art and Making of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, of which I posted a some material from around here.

*Lucas could've saw a piece of concept art and said "Darth Icky" as a joke or a preliminary concept name which he would've left to other artists to work out in greater detail. In reality icky is probably short for sticky and those artists could've came up with a Latin equivalent , Darth Viscous, and nobody would care. So use another language. Darth Insanous actually works. Besides while insightful a lot of those sorta news articles and interviews are hearsay, regardless of how much truth or half truths are in there some of those comments are coming from disgruntled ex employees with " The Phantom Menace struck", seems like they hated the movie and typical mud throwing at Lucas since that movie came out or whoever wrote the article inserted it - maybe they werent brave enough to say before they got fired and just looking for stuff to slander him with. I don't really buy it, since Lucas also personally was interested in a Darth Maul video game that would've used a lot of Darth names. But even some interview comments made in that article made me suspect it was in rivarly with TFU II from the studio developments and any possible TFU III. TFU was gonna be originally a Darth Maul game which a similar story to the preliminary Darth Maul video game that was being developed by Red Fly.

6. JBFett007

JBFett007 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 23, 2014
    Well... from what I hear that trend of not killing good guys isn't going to last long in the new season.

7. darth_revan96

darth_revan96 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 18, 2015
    I don't think Kanan necessarily has to die. It all depends on how they decide to interpret Yoda's words. By that time Kanan could still be alive, but he may be so jaded and isolated that Yoda doesn't consider him a Jedi.

8. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I don't think Kanan has to die because I don't see him ever getting powerful enough to take down Vader, which is a prerequisite to taking down Palps.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

9. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    If he doesn't die, then I at least think he should leave the Rebellion. I don't think the Rebellion should have multiple Force users running around in it.

When I watch ESB though, I get the interpretation from Palpatine's dialogue, that Luke is really the last real threat. He's the new enemy that could destroy the Sith. He's not one of many enemies that can destroy the Sith. And then when you get to ROTJ, the attack on the Death Star kind of implies that a loss there is a complete loss for the Rebellion. Luke will turn or die, the Rebel fleet attacking the Death Star will be destroyed, and any other Rebels (like the fleet at Sullust) are just treated as inconsequential should victory be achieved for the Empire at Endor.

Rewind things 5 years to the time frame of Rebels and we see that the Emperor does have fear of the Jedi and of the "Children of the Force" that could potentially be trained by Jedi to pose a threat. Ahsoka is a threat. Kanan is a threat. Ezra is a threat.

But all of this doesn't seem to matter by the time of ROTJ.

I don't think Kanan himself inherently interferes with Luke's destiny. But I think having Kanan AND Ezra AND Ahsoka interferes with Luke's destiny. Ahsoka I feel has to die. She's just way too prominent to be running around in the Rebel Alliance at least by the time of ESB.

And I think Kanan and Ezra as a duo interfere with Luke's destiny in that I think Ezra is implied to have immense potential that can be a threat to the Empire, but he requires training to know how to use it. While I think that Kanan doesn't have the same potential, but he at least has some knowledge to set Ezra on the right path. To not interfere with Luke's destiny, I think at least on of this pair has to die. And I think it makes more sense for it to be Kanan.

I have a more difficult time seeing Kanan and Luke coexisting at the same time than Ezra and Luke.

Some possibilities I think can work:

1. Ezra dies and Kanan sees himself as failing and disappears to become a hermit because he's afraid (but I really don't see this happening. It's extremely depressing to both kill off a kid and then have Kanan give up).

2. Both Kanan and Ezra die (this is the easiest route)

3. Kanan dies, Ezra's training is incomplete. This makes it easier for me to accept Ezra and Luke coexisting. As Vader tells the Emperor, Luke is no threat without Obi-Wan to train him. If Ezra is left running around without guidance, it's not like he and Luke are going to have anything to offer each other. They're both going to be poorly experienced, and if anything this leaves the door open for Ezra to go on to learn from Luke post-ROTJ.

The hurdle I see presented by having Kanan survive and remaining with the Rebels is that I would think that Luke would quickly become aware of a Jedi running around with the Rebel Alliance and would try to seek him out for training. Having said that. We did see Luke go from being able to deflect blaster bolts in ANH to using telekinesis in ESB, with no apparent training in between, so it is POSSIBLE that such a meeting did occur and that either Ezra or Kanan did pass on some basic training to Luke. But if that's the case, I think Kanan should definitely be dead by ESB.

Filoni also once made the comment about the Rebels not really taking Luke seriously as a Jedi, in that they saw him carry around a lightsaber but never really saw him use it and so never really regarded him as a Jedi. Whereas Kanan seems to be regarded as a Jedi (and I don't want to get into the semantics of whether or not he ever passed the trials, the point is he was receiving Jedi training and his peers recognize that about him, but apparently that's not the case with Luke). So I would think that if Kanan were still around, someone would have said something to Luke and Luke would have sought this guy out. So I'm leaning more to the idea that Kanan should either be dead, or at least not be active within the Rebel Alliance and not be a resource for Luke to turn to.

10. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Don't we have a couple zillion Order 66 survivors at this point? If Yoda's remark about Luke being the last Jedi is invalidated, then it was invalidated a long time ago...and if not, well then I don't see why having Kanan and Ezra added to the list of survivors would change much.

11. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Tarkin: The Jedi are extinct, their fire has gone out of the universe. You, my friend, are all that's left of their religion.

Vader: What about those young Jedi we battled on Lothal a few years ago?

Tarkin: Oh, you're right, almost forgot about them...

12. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    I can see Ezra easily living on to become one of the first recruits of Luke's new Jedi Order because they are so similar in age. Kanan will probably die and sacrifice himself just as the Ghost crew formally becomes part of the Rebel Alliance.

It would be interesting to see if Hera is one of the pilots at the Battle of Endor. I think the reason we will not see the Ghost then is because it will be destroyed before it can take part in the major battles of the Galactic Civil War.

13. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    In Nu-Canon? No, not really, the only Jedi survivors were Yoda and Obi-Wan.

14. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Less than 200, according to Filoni. But, 99% will no doubt die off screen, comic, book, movie, et al.

15. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Hmm I was wondering given Ezra's affinity for the darkside whether we'll see him turn and eventually become an Inquisitor himself whilst Kanan ends up in hiding having lured the Empire into blowing up a site and letting them assume he's dead.

I'm more concerned with the rest of the Ghost's crew.

Zeb I can see either become a part of another rebel cell or retiring to help his people recover from their losses after Kallus is killed, Sabine might go full mercenary but if anyone gets killed at this point I think Hera heads that list.

She is the heart and soul of the team I can see them splitting up following her death, it would explain the lack of representation of her in Disney Infinity and those Star Wars Rebels board games, this might be a bit much to assume now but what if she was the one killed how would that effect the others?

EDIT: Oh and no he doesn't have to die for Luke's destiny to remain intact, I'm hoping they reveal that Ahsoka is presumed killed by Vader but we'll know otherwise.
    That would be why Obi-Wan thinks the Anakin he knew is truly dead but actually isn't.

16. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Rebels already hinted at a few paths, which could effect the fates of Kanan, Ezra and Ahsoka:
    1. Kanan haunted by Order 66, Clone Wars and unwilling to "join another"
    2. Ezra able to sense the dark side (after briefly submitting to his fear in season 1)
    3. Hera knows the fate of Ezra parents; yet to tell him
    4. Ahsoka lying about knowing the identity of the Sith Lord
    5. Sidious plans to use Ahsoka to lure out remaining Jedi
    The fate of Ezra parents, IMHO, is the key root to all of this and what Hera knew.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  17. Darth Saxman

Darth Saxman Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    Yes, he and Ezra must die, maybe to save the Rebel cause near the end of the series.

18. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    I think Kanan will eventually die in conflict with the Empire. The greater Ghost crew ultimately joins what becomes the Rebel Alliance. Ezra gives up his training as a Jedi simply because there is no one to train him once Kanan is gone. At the end of the series the future of his training is in doubt.

If Kanan lives up to about the time of the Battle of Yavin or earlier, Ezra could easily go into a time where he is not using his Jedi skills until Luke becomes trained by Yoda and after Endor he easily resumes the training once Luke can do so.

19. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    I don't like this retconning crap that goes on these days. I say kill em all. Luke should be the last Jedi after Yoda dies...thus the threat and tension and stakes of the OT remain intact.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

20. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Ahsoka dies
    Kanan goes into exile because he doesn't want to fight in the rebellion
    They rescue Ezra's parents and Ezra lives with them again
    Some other Jedi will be lured out and killed by Vader

21. thatotherjedi

thatotherjedi Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 6, 2015
    Just kinda want to point something out. Kanan states that there were 10,000 Jedi Knights in the Old Republic.

Ezra, Kanan, and Ahsoka are three "Jedi".

3/10,000 = 0.0003. You can't even round up. There are 0.03% "Jedi" left when compared to the previous status quo that Tarkin references. So I think you could make an argument that Tarkin's statement, "The Jedi are extinct, their fire has gone out of the universe" isin continuity with the existence of Ezra, Kanan, and Ahsoka. Do the three need to die? It seemed like death was the only fate for Ahsoka in TCW S 1-4, until a creative and epic storyline changed that narrative. I'm looking forward to see how they blow our minds again in Rebels!

Todd the Jedi likes this.
  22. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    After the finale, there was another thread that took over for this one IMO as Filoni made a remark in regards to "last of the Jedi" which has sparked a lot of discussion:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/filonis-workaround-for-last-of-the-jedi.50027889/

23. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Do they need to die? No. Force-Sensitive doesn't equal Jedi. Will they die? I think it's likely Kannan and Tano may.

jabberwalkie likes this.
  24. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Given that it's been implied that Ezra has a "darker side," (the creepy look he gave Senator Traviss after his betrayal and tapping into the Dark Side during one of the fights with The Inquisitor), and that Hera is apparently aware of what happened to his parents (but hasn't told him for some reason), I'm wondering if a "fall" isn't in Ezra's future. He's already on-edge, and then he finds out that the others have been keeping secrets/lying to him, and it sends him over the edge. And then the others have to try and save him from himself essentially.

It wouldn't necessarily have to be permanent, but it could be an interesting angle to explore.

jabberwalkie likes this.
  25. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    (ducks for "no one but Anakin/Vader should be redeemed" posts that are bound to come)

I think this is likely where they are heading. We already had him tapping into the darker side of the force in "Gathering Forces" so him tapping into that power again seems likely. I've been hoping that they go deeper into that area, but I think they missed an opportunity to do that in "Fire Across the Galaxy" when Kanan and Ezra were facing off against the Inquisitor to expand that. I know that many have said that Ezra's story is too close to Luke, but I'm beginning to think that his story may be more closely related to Anakin's given his dark side tendencies that became more apparent in AOTC.

Personally, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him actually leave the Ghost as a sort of "this is where our paths diverge" moment for a short while.

thatotherjedi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.