main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Does Kanan Have to Die For Luke's Destiny?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, Jul 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Seriously? I don't want the dark side to turn into the flu, where you can get over it in a week or so. If the darkside grabs you, it is usually for years, you don't just snap out of it. "Falling to the darkside" for three episodes is not what I want to see in this show. Returning to the light after falling to the darkside is so darn difficult that Obi-Wan and Yoda consider it impossible.

So far Ezra's issues were the usual "inexperienced Jedi apprentice struggles with dark impulses" that most Jedi students seem to experience. Falling to the darkside however is something quite different and far more permanent entirely.

2. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
  3. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Darth_Pevra

I wasn't, and I doubt that Thrawn082 was either, that it should be a quick switch back. [face_sigh]

4. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    The problem with just saying, "Oh he is a light side user, but not technically a Jedi" is it doesn't fit in universe. In universe most people are not going to make that distinction. The only people who might are actual Jedi. Tarkin, Vader, and the Emperor won't as a light side user is just as much a threat as a Jedi. The average person would have no clue what the difference is. It would be a very small minority of people who would actually make that distinction. In the Phantom Menace when talking about Maul Qui-Gon refers to him as being trained not in the force or as a Sith, but in the jedi arts even though he believed Maul to be a Sith already. In universe the word jedi is an eponym like kleenex or bandaid that even the Jedi themselves use. Only a select few would make such a distinction.

Now for all of this to make sense no one actually has to die. I and several others have said this before, but they cannot be ACTIVE as light side force users. Now, based on their individual characters I could see neither Kanan or Ezra dying for various reasons, although I think most likely Kanan dies. Ashoka, I find it hard to see any way out without her death. She isn't just going to give up using the force, and she isn't going to be lured to the dark side either. It just isn't in her character.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    That's an assumption and one I suspect they are going to make concentrated efforts to debunk. It's fans insisting 'light side' is Jedi and 'dark' is Sith not Mouse. :p

6. TheOneX_Eleazar

Oct 24, 2013
    It isn't an assumption. It is based on what has been shown to us. As noted in my post an example of Qui-Gon using it in such a way. Kallus assumes Kanan and Ezra are Jedi just because they have lightsabers and use the force. I have little doubt I could come up with other examples if I went back through all of the non-legends canon.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    TheOneX_Eleazar and Cushing's Admirer

I think it boils down to "if you aren't with me, you're against me" type of mentality in the context of Imperials/Sith/Inquisitors viewing light side force users as only Jedi. We differeniate between the Sith, Inquisitors, and Nighsisters for instance as dark side force users. I don't see any reason why the light side can't have different distinctions.

8. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I don't see why Force-Sensitivity *must* be labelled at all, Jabber. It's the motive of the being that matters.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  9. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

What about Ashoka when she left the Jedi Order? From that point on she was a light side user and not a jedi, and she is like this in rebels. You are saying one can't just say this because "it doesen't fit the universe" well then why is Ashoka doing it? And also why does Dave and other rebels people pointing out that there are dark side and light side people which doesen't have to be a sith or jedi.

10. moonjump05

moonjump05 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 14, 2013
    "Does Kanan have to die for Luke's destiny?"

Unless Luke's destiny is to kill Kanan, then no.

jabberwalkie likes this.
  11. TheOneX_Eleazar

Oct 24, 2013
    Ok, I think you might want to re-read what I said, because I don't think you understood. I'm saying to the majority of people within the Star Wars universe (you know Tie Fighter Pilot #1243, Captain Needa, Joe FarmBoy etc. etc.) they don't make a distinction between a light side user and a Jedi. When they see Ashoka, and they see her do a force thing they aren't going to think, "Oh hey there is someone who can use the force". No, instead they are going to think, "Hey look there is a Jedi". No matter if she is a Jedi or not, the vast majority of people in universe are not going to make that distinction, either because they don't care enough to make that distinction, or they are not informed enough to make that distinction.

In the old canon there are countless examples of this. Sith are often referred to by non-Jedi as Dark Jedi. In the new canon there are already multiple examples of this lack of distinction, and just a general assumption that anyone who wields a lightsaber or the force is automatically a jedi. The only people that really make any kinds of distinction are the Jedi, Sith, and Padme. Even then I already pointed out what Qui-Gon said.

Even then just considering that Tarkin refers to Vader as all that remains of his old religion (reference to the Jedi) despite him not being a Jedi anymore is very damning to Ashoka and Kanan, because they were part of that religion even if they were not fully trained. Even if they don't follow the path anymore, just like Vader, they would still be legacies of that religion, just like Vader. Since they are both known to the Empire that does not lead very many ways for them to survive until ANH. They certainly cannot be active.

The honest truth is, everything in universe points to Ashoka, Kanan, and Ezra as not being active force users by ANH, especially Ashoka and Kanan.

12. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Fair enough, but I am not sure how this would work. If he's turned into an inquisitor, he wouldn't have contact with the ghost crew. And if he remains part of the ghost crew, I am not sure they would want to have him around.

13. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    Hera, Zeb, and Sabrine could easily live on to fight alongside the greater Rebel Alliance as they should. Kanan and Ezra die in a tragic accident trying to save their friends from certain death. Darth Vader or an inquisitor does not have to be the ones to kill them off. I really hope Chopper gets sucked into a star or something personally well before any of the rest happens.

14. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

They may not, however, "does kanan have to die for lukes destiny" the only reason to do that is to dodge Yoda's "The last of the Jedi you will be" so it doesen't matter how other people in the star wars universe look at it, as long as they don't call themselves and go the Jedi path anymore I don't see ANY reason at all in Kanan or Ezra or Ashoka dying.

jabberwalkie likes this.
  15. Hrimari

Hrimari Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2015
    Hi there, guys and gals.

At first I thought that Kanan and Ezra needed to die. I'm not so sure now that Lucas lost the reins. I mean, it's rumored that Abrams got rid/ignored most of the prequels, I won't discuss how much I agree with him on that point, but if there is no medichlorians in there, there also might not be no "rule of two" either.

Which doesn't mean that they'll survive, but it helps. Mathematically. They aren't around to help the rebels in episodes 4,5,6, though. Or to train Luke. So they have to have either died or been sent away/made prisonners in carbonite or something.

So, that is my answer. They don't need to die, but they need to be cast away, at the very least.

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Hrimari its been proven that they are not forgetting the prequels and anyway Kanan is not a Jedi Knight so I think he has a chance.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  17. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I tire of seeing folks talking about the prequels being done away with. They are canon, so take a deep breath and let it go. The new films aren't likely to mention them in a big way so it shouldn't be an issue of concern.

18. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Disney has stated that the PT, OT, Clone Wars, and books and comics based on the Clone Wars episodes are all canon. The problem is is that they may do a bad job maintaining canon continuity anyway.

It seems to me that Kanaan and Ezra have to dead, or apparently dead, or incapacitated even before the beginning of ANH. Tarkin is aware of Ezra and Kanan, yet he says this in ANH: "The Jedi are extinct, their fire has gone out of the universe. You, my friend, are all that's left of their religion." Why would he say that unless he thought for pretty certain that both Ezra and Kanan were dead?

Also, why wouldn't Yoda train Ezra, Kanan, and Luke, so that they all could take on Vader? (Heck, why isn't he training them both anyway instead of letting Ezra be trained by a half-finished Padawan?) I doubt they'll answer these questions, and I doubt they care. I think they consider this show mostly just for kids considering the channel and the time slot they've given it and the shows that appear before and after it.

19. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007

Agreed. (Wow I didn't realize how old this post was) Turning to the dark side should be harder to kick than an opiate addiction or beating cancer. It shouldn't be treated as some quick little phase like a teenager going through an emo stage, or someone catching the common cold for a weekend.

Darth Nerdling and Darth_Pevra like this.
  20. darthtimetraveller

darthtimetraveller Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2015
    I think Kanan should die before RotJ at least.

21. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007

Preferably before ANH

22. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I think their "out" in that regard is the way Tarkin regarded Kanan and Ezra's existence. I'm paraphrasing, but something akin to, "I knew the Jedi; these are no Jedi."

23. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012

But this isn't even true. Obi-Wan and Yoda were both alive during ANH, and if they aren't Jedi, I don't know who are.

Neither Ahsoka, Kanan, or Ezra has been knighted, so are they even considered Jedi? Perhaps that is the loophole.

24. TheOneX_Eleazar

Oct 24, 2013
    Knighting is irrelevant. Ahsoka and Kanan were both part of the Jedi order, they are Jedi. As well it isn't about whether or not they are Jedi, it is about whether or not they are perceived as Jedi which they certainly are.

25. darthtimetraveller

darthtimetraveller Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2015

Yeah, i can agree with that. I was just saying RotJ at the latest, because that's when Yoda tells Luke that he's the last Jedi. Based on what we saw in Rebels, I'd imagine Yoda was in contact with/or aware of pretty much every living Jedi in the GFFA when he was on Dagobah. All other Jedi aside from himself and Luke should be dead and gone by the time of RotJ at the latest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.