main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Does Kanan Have to Die For Luke's Destiny?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, Jul 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    I think the larger discussion is what else did Kenobi know and not tell Luke? He told Luke that his father wanted him to have a lightsaber which didn't happen after he picked up that lightsaber from Anakin on Mustafar after chopping off three of Anakin's limbs, he didn't tell Luke that Anakin was Vader, and didn't tell Luke that Leia is his sister. We can say that he told events from a "certain point of view" but he fabricated elements to his advantage and also held back details so that their (Yoda and Kenobi) goals could be attained: the end of the Empire, and the defeat of the Emperor and Vader.

He also clearly knew more of what was going on as a Force Ghost than when he was corporeal.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  2. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    By the time of ANH neither Sidious or Vader seem to believe Ahsoka or the Ghost crew as a threat which to me is the biggest giveaway that something happened to Ahsoka in between. IMO, Ezra is safe and Kanan already managed to escape the empire by keeping low profile and doesn't have the same connection to Vader that Ahsoka has so I could see him surviving. The series could perfectly continue alongside the OT and being its own thing.

jabberwalkie likes this.
  3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    But do we know if Force ghosts are all seeing? Seeing as Qui Hon did not seem to know who the Sith Lord was.

4. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    He also didn't have the ghost manifestation that Kenobi, Yoda, or Anakin had so he was somewhat incomplete. I'd have to watch TCW Yoda arc again, but outside of the Mortis arc he never appeared as a ghost.

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Your correct that he could never appear as a complete force ghost and thus his training was never complete.

But anyway I agree that we as viewers should not think that everything Yoda and Obi Wan said were fact.

thatotherjedi likes this.
  6. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    The High Inquisitor was given orders from Vader to hunt down Children of the Force because they posed a threat to him, this was said despite the statement made earlier that the Jedi were all but destroyed.

He treats the Children of the Force as a separate entity than Jedi. The Jedi are all but extinct, BUT there's this new threat that must be made to serve the Empire or be destroyed.

Whether Ahsoka, Ezra, Kanan, etc are Jedi is irrelevant IMO. One is an ex-Jedi, one is a former Jedi padawan that may not have reached the rank of knight, but who was definitely trying to keep the Jedi tradition alive, and Yoda didn't really dispute the notion of Kanan training others in the Jedi way. Then you have Ezra who is in Jedi training.

If you want to argue that these people aren't Jedi, then at the very least they are all Children of the Force or potential instructors to Children of the Force. I.E. they all fall under the "they are a threat and so must be made to serve or die" category

By the time of ANH, there's no mention of these individuals. Luke was a Child of the Force, same as Ezra. If Ahsoka and Kanan were still running around, then I'd think that would be an obvious observation for Palpatine to make when Vader dismisses Luke as a threat following Obi-Wan's death.

I think Kanan and Ahsoka are definitely dead. I figure Ezra will survive, just because he's a kid and the character children are supposed to relate too. But he may give up on the Jedi path, should both mentors bite the dust.

7. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    There also wasn't a mention of Yoda. ;) He's definitely a potential instructor to Children of the Force. :p

8. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    I could see Ezra falling to the darkside for a few episode and then come back, not really original but still...

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    That's not really how it works, once the dark side has you there is almost no going back.

Darth_Pevra and sarlaccsaurs-rex like this.
  10. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I'm not sure they really figured him to be alive. And at any rate, he was not in active rebellion. I dont think they knew one way or another. Vader was surprised by Ahsoka's survival. I didn't get the impression he knew her to be alive. I figured it would have hypothetically been the same if he found out Yoda survived.

That the Empire didn't account for some Jedi they didn't know to be alive for certain is different than them accounting for those actively taking up arms against the Empire.

11. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    At the end of ROTS, wasn't Palpatine searching for Yoda after they fought? He seemed to believe that Yoda survived. I'm not exactly sure why they would have given up on him.

12. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    What can they do other than wait? For all they know he died of natural causes. A Jedi that dies like that on some backwater planet probably will never be confirmed dead by the Empire. How do Vader, Tarkins, etc know the Jedi are all but destroyed? Why does Tarkin believe Obi-Wan must be dead? Why is Vader surprised by Ahsoka?

I don't think they have much to go off of either than, hey its been over a decade and we haven't seen a Jedi in a very long time.

I don't read the books, and I'm going spoiler free for Episode VII, but the synopses of these books don't sound like they have anything to do with Jedi. And I could be wrong, but I just get the vibe from the TFA trailers that the Jedi and dark side are something that exist in stories and rumor and that the Jedi Order isn't particularly on the rebound. Nor are Kanan, Ezra, Ahsoka etc. Running around opposing the Imperial remnant.

It seems like Palpatine, Vader, and the Inquisitor's were very efficient in their goal to wipe out the Jedi. Again, this is all based on the general feeling I get on limited post-ROTJ info, but this doesn't seem like a Universe with Jedi running around in it, at least until TFA.

If you want to establish these characters as anti-Imperial symbols of hope and want them to survive, then questions become

1) How come these characters are not rebuilding the Jedi Order like Luke in the EU?

2) Why didn't Luke seek Ahsoka out, or Kanan, or vice versa. I'm pretty sure Luke Skywalker destroying the Death Star should be a big deal to Ahsoka.

3) When three "Jedi" are running around in Tarkin's Outer Rim Territories, why is he so convinced they are all dead in ANH?

4) Tarkin feared a Jedi giving people hope and being a symbol to rally around. If these figures survived the OT and Yoda knew of them, but just "fibbed" one might still expect these characters to be extremely powerful symbols for the Rebellion, following the Battle of Endor.

13. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    1) I'm hoping that this is addressed in that their Jedi spirit is broken by the time ANH roles around. Something where they get beaten so badly that they essentially just give up on trying to teach others the Jedi way because they see it as only leading to death and that the Empire can't be beaten. I really only see Ezra doing this because I think he is the most likely out of the three to make it out alive. If he ends up being responsible for another Tarkintown type of event, I can see him becoming disillusioned with the path of becoming a Jedi. He said to Hondo that he isn't a Jedi in the last episode so he already doesn't identify with being a Jedi to some extent.

2) I've said before on these boards that I'm OK with Ahsoka and Kanan dying if it advances the story and isn't done cheaply. Ahsoka I think is extremely likely to die before the end of the show. Kanan I think is highly likely. As I've said before though, I think it remains to be seen how much Ahsoka still holds to the Jedi teachings of the Old Order.

3) He may have thought they died and then searched for them but found nothing, and much like Palpatine and Vader did with Kenobi and Yoda thought they had died else where after not finding them.

4) Which is why either they leave the Rebellion to go off on their own path, like Ezra believing that Kanan was right and that being on their own as more of a rogue element that functions on its own separate from the Alliance, or everyone who interacted with them dies. Kanan forsook the name of Caleb Dume and took on another identity, becoming a kind of nomad to hide his identity.

All in all, if they want to do a post ROTJ type of story after Rebels finishes its run, having a character from Rebels show up and play a part makes sense based on the history of TCW and Rebels. I doubt Sabine will play a part on that given what we know from the trailers of her history, and Zeb and Kallus still have to come to some resolution on their story. Hera I don't see leaving the Rebellion, even if Kanan dies. I think that would spur her further forward to fight the Empire.

14. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    Kanan does not have to die. Neither does Ezra. Not Empatyjos Brand or any other.

Nothing about Luke's Destiny requires all the Jedi/Force Users to die.

He just needs to kill the Sith Lord and redeem his pop.

Todd the Jedi likes this.
  15. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    If Kanan has to die, I am assuming it will be by Vader's lightsabers.

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  16. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    Nothing about Luke's destiny sure, but plot does require it as it has been established that there are no other active Jedi in the galaxy after Yoda dies.

17. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I just thought of something. When Yoda contacted Kanan in the temple, why didn't Yoda tell him how to stick around in the force after death? Or at least give him instructions on where to go to get such knowledge eg Qui Gon to Yoda. It seems like it would be critical information to share with those who want to keep the way of the jedi alive... Not cool enough to join the force ghost club, Kanan is?

Darth Nerdling and episodenone like this.
  18. Darkskar95

Darkskar95 Jedi Master star 1

Feb 25, 2013
    Yes. They have to die or else it'll create a huge plot hole.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  19. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I am kind off curious, does that ever happen. When I was a kid I don't recall relating to the kid characters in the shows at the time. In fact it was more the opposite, like with say the Batman cartoon. I used to think it was great when he was alone i.e. the broody loner, then they decided to give him Robin :( Then after that they gave him a kid Robin for good measure :(:( But during my time watching it, I never thought gee I want to be that kid Robin. I wonder if anyone did or does with Ezra ?

As for the thread of the title. Tarkin was pretty specific "The Jedi are extinct, there fire has gone out of the universe, you my friend are all that's left of there religion" Not" except for those guys who blew up my Star Destroyer and the Inquisitors of course".

20. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    I think they both survived but Hera doesn't.
    Explains why they haven't released a toy figure of her even in Disney infinity (and yes I'm hoping they correct that mistake!) but if they were assumed to be aboard the Ghost when it was destroyed and they choose to go undercover moving far away from Lothal it would allow for their survival.

I think Rey is Ezra's daughter and ended up on Jakku after left in Kanan's care.
    Kanan died of old age but Rey was left in Unkar's care because he owed Kanan, but that doesn't stop him making use of Rey's obvious technical prowess.
    I think Ezra tried to rescue the kids, Snoke and the First Order kidnapped but was captured and maybe turned.
    Wrong place to post this so I just say this is Disney's way of explaining the new Trilogy and leave it at that!

21. The Mirificus

The Mirificus Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 25, 2015
    To Ezra's credit, he HAS been given a personality. That's why (almost) nobody likes Robin... compared to Batman and the Gotham city villains, he is such an uninteresting character. Kids aren't watching these shows to find role models or people to identify with; they're watching for the spectacle. Interesting personalities, badassery, characters changing over time... My local elementary school boys HATED Ezra when he first appeared, but now they like watching him get new abilities, and they are on the edge of their little seats about the "will he go dark?" thing. None of them want to BE Ezra. They want to be Darth Vader.

I always took "the Jedi are extinct" to mean that their Order was extinct; no one was capable of rebuilding that cultural element. I think that implies Kanan's death, as his character growth this season makes it less likely he'll just "walk away." I think Ezra will have to physically leave Imperial territory, as even if he quits the Jedi, he is a potential asset to the Empire, and I don't think he'd stand for being enrolled in Inquisitor Academy. Plus, I doubt the Empire would just forgive-and-forget his many trespasses.

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  22. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    It was already confirmed that Rey was not the daughter of Ezra and Sabine. It was answered in the best it could be.

"...NO!"

23. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    There won't be any direct tie to the new movies aside from the easter eggs here and there.

24. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    Luke hasn't had much of a destiny so far thanks to TFA. If Kanan or Ezra survive to be part of this new order, we now know they will be simply murdered and killed off by Kylo Ren. It's probably better if they die much earlier on at the hands of Vader instead.

25. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    Kanan and Ezra would wreck Kylo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.